Super Groups that were not (2 Viewers)

Alluding to ASIA in anothr post I got to thinking what other "super" groups (how ever you want to define it) have been created and hyped as can't miss but did
I'll list my few
ASIA
Mr. Big
Checkered Past (Pistol Fans)
Power Station
Velvet Revolver
AudioSlave
Big Audio Dynamite

Big Audio Dynamite
How was that a "supergroup"? It was Mick Jones post-Clash group, but no other musicians that anyone had ever heard of were in it. They also didn't "miss," as they were pretty popular and successful for a while there among people who like whatever the hell they were doing.

On the other hand, everyone in Asia was from a famous group, but they didn't "miss" either. They were huge, yeah?

Well my Don Letts T shirt says otherwise!!
Sure missed is subjective but if you like The Clash odds are you hated BAD and if you liked Yes and ELP and the Buggles you thought ASIA was nothing more than fancy REO Speedwagon.
But Damn Yankees is a great one!

ASIA was nothing more than fancy REO Speedwagon.
Which is, not surprisingly, an insult to REO Speedwagon.

Don Letts is/was a filmmaker and a DJ, not a musician. But an influential guy in the early British punk scene for sure. Take Letts out of the mix and there is no connection between reggae and punk, and everything turns out quite differently.

okay, here's my contribution to the list:

- Crash Test Dummies
- Kajagoogoo
- Falko (anyone remember 'Rock me Amadeus'? - Number 1 in USA!)
- Beatles, the
- Rolling Stones, the
- Velvet Underground, the
- Prince aka TAFKAP
- John Lee Hooker
- Wolferl Mozart
- Johann Sebastian Bach

...oh, no, something went wrong!
Sorry - I had a clown for dinner!
(Damn! Wrong thread again!)

ASIA
New 2009 European Tour Date Added
Sunday, 11 January 2009
http://www.originalasia.com/
And I thought Mott the Hoople reuniting was bad

After this I'm done promise
Glenn Hughes Fan Forum
Saturday, 19 April 2008
Anyone else here pick up the new Asia album 'Phoenix'? I'm listening to it now, and I'm enjoying it a lot. There are a few moments where the music dates itself to the 80's, which I suppose is to be expected of a band so synonymous with that era.

But I have to hand it to John Wetton yet again - the guy has come up with some incredibly heartfelt, thoughtful lyrics, and delivered them with that amazing voice. Not to mention he's a wonderful bassist. And even though this new album is not a hard-rocking extravaganza, everyone brought something to the table. People tend to forget sometimes that it's not always about being a virtuoso soloist - it's about what's best for the song. It's knowing when to add just a flourish, or not to play at all. I know it's hard to believe, given these guys' prog backgrounds, but 'Phoenix' is an exercise in taste and restraint.

A big from this listener, for a job well done. Great melodies, solid performances and a lot of heart.
Translation I didn't really waste $20 bucks but I did.

Jimmy Snerp said:
But I have to hand it to John Wetton yet again - the guy has come up with some incredibly heartfelt, thoughtful lyrics, and delivered them with that amazing voice. Not to mention he's a wonderful bassist.

His bass work in the 1972-1974 incarnation of King Crimson is nothing short of brilliant. It's funny, though. I think very highly of Wetton, Carl Palmer and Steve Howe, but I bought the original Asia CD a couple of years ago and I was, shall we say, overly unimpressed.

Well the Traveling Willburys would be a successful variation but I dont know how much success The Highwaymen enjoyed (Cash, Kristofferson, Nelson and Waylon).

And if you're going to use the Firm then perhaps the new Queen fits too.
Maybe the beginning of another thread, but how long can one person milk one song-Feel Like Making Love. Hmm maybe that question should go to Don Mclean-drove my chevy to the levy...

I don't remember why I did it (besides liking Bad Company for a brief spurt), but I decided to read the bios on Bad Company's website. I think I got up and threw away my only BadCo CD after reading about how the lead singer was the best vocalist of all time or something ridiculous like that.

Yes, but where would all of us aging rockers be without "All Right Now" by Free, a precondtion of Bad Company. And there IS indeed some great vocals there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back