Talk about a lousy Christmas (1 Viewer)

Father Luke

Founding member
Dec 4
1958 Bukowski's father, Henry, dies

Dec 24
1956 Bukowski's mother, Katherine, dies

Just noticed that.
Christmas around the Bukowski household?

No thanks.

No shit.

I hate the Xmas holidays myself because of childhood memories.
My mother was bi-polar and Xmas always meant Santa was bringing
TROUBLE down the chimney ! Lol - seriously. The merriest and most family-friendly season of all has been a train-wreck in my family experience, though I love and miss my Mom......
So be it.
Holidays are still fun I contend.....

December is the saddest month

No.6 , it reminds me of a standup comedian saying that at Christmas time his mother's dyslexia meant that she kept mixing Santa and Satan.

I'm sorry for your loss, Nin.

I can relate somewhat, in that my ex-fiancee's father comitted suicide on Valentine's Day 1988. When personal loss is connected to a holiday, its just a goddamned yearly reminder of grief and sadness, isn't it ?

But we carry on. Somehow, we carry on.

My favorite Bukowski Xmas poem (it's a short list) is Christmas eve alone, which to my ears doesn't sound depressing at all. He, like many others, simply doesn't wish to be drawn into celebrating it, and he seems quite content to get out of town, get drunk, and come back the next day when it's all over.

"My holiday is an evasion. My reasoning is not."

No shit.

I hate the Xmas holidays myself because of childhood memories.
My mother was bi-polar and Xmas always meant Santa was bringing
TROUBLE down the chimney !

December is the saddest month
Oh my! My ex wife is a maniac- only now she is properly medicated- my poor daughter tells a sad tale of Xmas morn. When she was about 5 or 6 she had to wake up her mom, who was hung over hard, and her mom went and pulled a couple of bags of unwrapped gifts out of a cupboard. So much for beleiving in Santa. My daughter is a very strong person. Her mom could sure pound down the booze. Yes December has short days- we should hibernate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back