Thank God for Bukowski... (2 Viewers)

Forgive me, this is my first post here. I found Mr Bukowski through The film Factotum. I hope there are now precious fans who might not like that. I would like to think that the readers of his beer sh*ts can appreciate that i do not have time to sift through pages of inappropriate and congested so called literary greats to have the ability to find anyone for myself. I like to be spoonfed and i am so glad that film came into being, for now, i find myself in a much finer world knowing that the magical world of word is now just that. After blake and huxley, i now find someone who knew the beauty of honesty without lace. So i say, thank god for Bukowski.

The world is a better place. at least for me.
Thanks,
Brandon.

Welcome to the Forum, love your enthusiasm. There are threads for specific qustions about poems and writings and even threads about the movies of Bukowski.
You are forgiven by me but I only speak for me. There is the New Blood section where you should go to introduce yourself. I made the mistake of blasting right into the middle of everything when I first came in. You are being more polite than I was. Anyway, read the forum it will guide you and enlighten you. You are in a good place with friendly and knowledgable lovers of Charles Bukowski. Have a good read. Have a nice evening.

I found Mr Bukowski through The film Factotum. I hope there are now precious fans who might not like that(1). I would like to think that the readers of his beer sh*ts can appreciate that i do not have time to sift through pages of inappropriate and congested so called literary greats to have the ability to find anyone for myself(2). I like to be spoonfed...(3)

Well, a welcome is in order, but your philosophy strikes me as: (1) internet combative; (2) somewhat lazy; and (3) the antithesis of what Buk is all about. But I'm glad you enjoy his stuff. We look forward to your contribution to this site.

TheSilkPig,
Welcome. That is the great thing about the movies. We, as fans may not like the movies, but they do introduce people to his works. Some will read a bit and decide that it is not for them, but others will become avid readers of his.

Have you read any of the books yet? The novels are great. The opinion is to NOT read Pulp first. Ham on Rye, Factotum, Post Office are great. As far as poems, porbably either the new book "Pleasures of the Damned" of "Run With The Hunted". They give you a really goods sampling to decide what type of Buk's writing that you prefer. His style changed over the decades.

Best,
Bill

TheSilkPig,
In luck you are Brandon if
you like the movie Factotum,
which is not bad but
the best is ahead,
novels first for sure,
some short stories
and then you'll find his poetry
reads like a story,
sometimes a line tells all.

Thank you for being so kind. As for being the anti-thesis... I think Bukowski himself did say about Tolstoy (for example) that 'I look and I look but I just don't see the greatness...' I think, in my humble opinion that he did want to find something special in those writers, 'writers with guts'. Thats what I want.

In words I want to connect and feel reassured and inspired that I am not alone. That is the magic, not some kind of elevated bullsh*t that is held aloft like some kind of trophy or mask for my inability, more a place of solice like a good night on the ale with true friends. Don't mis-understand me. I read the likes of Blake etc because I was a big doors fan and found the words interesting but also quite anal (only in retrospect). We are told about these so called 'great writers' and I have read the likes of Hesse, Austen, Dickens, Orwell etc and still struggle to find something that I can truly appreciate. Its either my lack of understanding or the materials blatant inappropriateness in relation to my own world. I identify with Bukowski because I feel the same frustrations. I feel the same sad way about the lemmings of this world but I also feel the same sad way about myself. The fact that, like them, I maybe do not have the courage of my convictions to be who I really know I am. a writer (albeit music) with guts.

I have read,
Ham on Rye,
Women,
Post Office,
Factotum,
Tales of Ordinary Madness,
Hollywood
& I am now reading the most beautiful woman in town. The midget story is pretty bizarre.

I thank you for you recommendations.
I think I better run and hide in the new blood section as recommended!!!!

Thanks,
Brandon.
UK

Hi Brandon;
Cool! Also, I am not the owner or moderator, but I think that it is pretty safe to spell out the word "bullshit". "Fuck" is probably fine too. I don't know that we are offended by four letter words. Any other four letter words that we like?

Unless the green machine can correct me?

Best,
Bill

I must admit I find there is nothing better than listening to Bukowski recite his own poetry.

You should check out some of the audo stuff.

Welcome Silkpig.

From what you've read so far, you're very much into it already. Good choices for a start.

The others are right:
Highly recommended to start with some of his poetry now. ( - and Sulkpot has a valid point in recommending Buks own voice reading them!)

Hi Brandon;
Cool! Also, I am not the owner or moderator, but I think that it is pretty safe to spell out the word "bullshit". "Fuck" is probably fine too. I don't know that we are offended by four letter words. Any other four letter words that we like?

Unless the green machine can correct me?
The fuck you on about?
Shit.
What the hell?

Welcome Brandon.

Check out these threads:

Favorite Authors

What other writers have you read because Bukowski told you so?

if you like bukowski

Once you begin reading Bukowski's poetry you will
want more. A million fans can't be wrong...

This thread will come in handy on that day:

So, what other poets get you like Bukowski does?

Welcome, silk.

Where is Orrell, England? I'm too lazy to look it up.

I'm living on the other side of the North sea.

Well, you've read the novels, all except for Pulp, which is somewhat of a departure from his usual style. Save that for later after you've read more of the stories. "South of No North" is what I'd recommend next.

Still, you have to try the poems sooner or later. Many of them read a bit more like short stories than most poetry, so it's not as much of a leap as you might think. Dangling in the Tournefortia, The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills, and Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame are all very good.

Can you really have a Bukowski forum where you can't swear in case someone is offended, I mean if you are easily offended then you really shouldn't bother with Buk. :rolleyes:

The other side of the North Sea... Norway or something? Nice one. Orrell is a wart on the arse of Wigan. In between Liverpool and Manchester. A quiet place.

I thank you for all of the comments and recommendations. I have only ever posted in a couple of forums before and this is by far the most helpful and friendliest.

Sorry if my initial post seemed a bit, well defensive but i am used to batting comments away in the daily grind. The blind people who seem to populate my work place. The drones, Sleeping away their years, they tend to slam a lot of doors in my conversation's face. So apologies for that purple stickpin.

I think I have read some of his poems too. I have a lot to experience yet, that's a good thing.

Nice! Only ever been once. Loved it. Vollendam is summat else. I remember houses lining a road into the place and it ran level with the lake... the houses facing out to that view. It seemed that almost every dorma-bungalow had a chair in the attic facing out with shelves of books behind them. I would love to sit in one of them for a few years. Changin my clothes every now and then.

It is a small world!

I haven't lived there for quite a while, my family are all there and some of my friends, I grew up there.

The thing I like about Preston is the wall to wall pubs.

A couple of facts you may not know about Preston:

1. First KFC in the country

2. Largest bus station in Europe, although I believe they are gonna knock it down.

3. Nick Park (Wallace and Gromit) is from there, in fact he went to my school.

4. This is a little disputed but some believe the industrial revolution started there.

5. The only town to be made a city in 2000 by the Queen.

6. The only town to hold a 'guild' which consists of parades and stuff every 20 years but even better they keep the pubs open longer for 2 weeks.

7. Not sure whether this is true now but during the cold war Russia had two nuclear weapons pointed at Britain, one was pointing at London and the other was Preston.

Think that's it!

See, that's why I still think of Preston as a town and have to mentally correct myself before saying anything. I like the place. Not been boozing there though. Tend to stay in with my band or friends. There are far too many peacocks out there. Too many fights. Fuck that for a laugh. Its all awful music too usually. Irish bars or a home boozeup with my friends and MY music!!!!

Sorry if my initial post seemed a bit, well defensive but i am used to batting comments away in the daily grind. The blind people who seem to populate my work place. The drones, Sleeping away their years, they tend to slam a lot of doors in my conversation's face. So apologies for that purple stickpin.

Hey, no worries. Nor did I intend to make you feel anything less than welcome. And yes, there are far too many "unawares" in the world. Best to steer clear of them where possible.

TheSilkPig, I now live in Stratford Upon Avon, it's a lovely little place where peacocks, fights and awful loud music just don't exist. I love it here.

TheSilkPig, I now live in Stratford Upon Avon, it's a lovely little place where peacocks, fights and awful loud music just don't exist. I love it here.

Yeah, I been there before, just the once and yeah, I remember it been serene! The dirty duck (i think it was called), had a bevvy there. U are a lucky person to live there.

Yeah I do love it, been to the Dirty Duck many times, I have a competition going with a friend at who can get their photographs on the wall the longest before the realise we aren't famous.

Ha ha go for it Roni!

I couldn't have my pic on the wall, would scare the shit out of the patrons.
What do you do in Stratford then? Act? Seems that's the place for it. Good old Shaky and that!

And what's sulkpot?

Silkpig - When I was a kid my mum used to call me 'Sulkpotbennagnag' if I was sulking after we went to see Aladin one time and there was a similar named character. Over the years of being on the internet it's difficult to find a name that you can use my real name is Angela, so I just use Sulkpot as it's always available!

I could tell you what I do but then I'd have to kill you haha.

Actually I work on computers, rather boring and uncreative but it pays the bills.

I wouldn't want to be an actor, I bloody hate them. I did Theatre studies at college and everyone was an idiot. Here you hear them talking and they just make me laugh. Talk about a bunch of protentious prima donna's. I like to wind them up by asking what they thought of 'The Taming of the Shrewd', they feel all superior when I get the name wrong but I usually end the conversation which quoting a load of Shakespearean monologues and that normally wipes the smile off their faces.

Don't get me wrong, most of the people in Stratford are nice, well educated people but Bukowski would have a field day with some of them.

Why you called Silkpig?

I like to wind them up by asking what they thought of 'The Taming of the Shrewd', they feel all superior when I get the name wrong but I usually end the conversation which quoting a load of Shakespearean monologues and that normally wipes the smile off their faces.

You dirty, little, double crosser. I love it.

... I like to wind them up by asking what they thought of 'The Taming of the Shrewd', they feel all superior when I get the name wrong but I usually end the conversation which quoting a load of Shakespearean monologues ...

yeah. evil cool smartass badass funny jester, that's you!

(ps:
how about 'The Taming of the Screwed'?)

'Taming of the Screwed', I like that I'll try that one next time.

I have also tried 'A midsummer nights murders' and 'A Comedy of Terrors'.

Why you called Silkpig?

I could tell you but then I would have to kill you
I love Italics You ever read 'The Temper' About some wizardy dude who is angry and smashes toy boats up for his daughter or summat...?

You damn right about the field day he would have there. I visited the place when I was studying music and the head of the performing arts course took me there to inspire me. It worked but I couldnt shake the 'I am from the council estates and don't deserve this' mentality so i guess the inspiration was short lived. I realise now that thats bullshit but then... thats another story. She had me doing plays for her because I was so nervous as a musician and I kinda had a baptism of fire to get used to being on stage you know? Trust me, after you've stood on stage and quoted a 3 page monologue from Richard III with loadsa people watchin, gettin up with a guitar and singin ya heart out is a walk in the park. It gave me perspective but some of the conversations I'd hear, made me want to throw up ' oh luvvie luvvie luvvie daaaarling daaaarling' 'Bleurgh!'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back