The Bukowski Tapes by Barbet Schroeder (1 Viewer)

HenryChinaski

Founding member
Okay so I got a bootlegged copy of this off ebay. I'll post pics of it later so you know what not to look for if you're purchasing one off ebay.
The other purpose of this thread is that if anybody has an actual real officially released copy of this, PLZ POST PICS. I want a real copy.

Here is a battered, but surprisingly still quite playable, original copy. It comes in a double clamshell folding case, not two separate boxes (as most bootlegs are sold).

tapes1.jpg

tapes2.jpg

mjp,
that's the one I got using the interlibrary loan.
if you guys live in the US, take advantage of this. it's free and you get really hard-to-find stuff.

whoa yeah ive seen those on ebay. now i know what to get. thanks.
so I take it they're not making those anymore? Its gonna be hard to find.

They come up less frequently these days, but occasionally you'll see them. Again, you have to be sharp because there have been bootlegs that used the original cover insert (shown above) as the artwork for their own inserts. So in a photo of the product in the auction they might look authentic but still be dupes.

Look for: the double clamshell case, the Lagoon Video logo, the hand-typed looking labels on the tapes themselves. The labels should look just like the ones I posted. If they don't, or there are no labels, or two separate boxes, etc., they are probably bootlegs.

thanks for the help. if I come across one on ebay on somewhere I'll post the pics so you can see for yourself. IM ON A MISSION FOR THE REAL THING

HI,I WOULD LIKE TO GET MY HANDS ON SOME GOOD READINGS AND BAD ONES IF THEY ARE TO BE HAD,BUT I HAVE YET TO HEAR HIM SPEAK.WHAT KIND OF FAN AM I ANYWAY?WERE DO I GO TO HEAR HIM READ?IS THERE A SITE WERE I CAN HEAR HIS VOICE BE FOR I GO AND BUY A SET OF TAPES

Your best bet at this point would be to buy Born Into This.

This summer his final two readings are going to be released on DVD. I would wait for those (high quality authorized releases) and avoid any bootlegs you might find on eBay, etc.

HenryChinaski said:
thanks for the help. if I come across one on ebay on somewhere I'll post the pics so you can see for yourself. IM ON A MISSION FOR THE REAL THING

I bought "the real thing" (The Bukowski Tapes) from www.kerouac.com
about a year and a half ago. Maybe they still have some. Or can get them for you. It?s worth a try...

Tales of Ordinary Madness is a piece of crap, in my humble opinion. I sold my copy on eBay. ;) But if they do sell Barfly DVD's for $25 I'll buy some! Heh.

I've discovered that many if not all of the segments are currently posted on google video. You must download the google video player to play and/or save the files to your hard drive. Visit video.google.com and search on "bukowski tapes". I've downloaded the first ten segments so far (with the exception of #4 and #5, which seem to be available for streaming only, unless I'm missing something) and the quality is quite good. Jump on this; one never knows whether something like this will be pulled quickly or what.

::hoists shot of bourbon and does Mickey Rourke impression:: "Here's to my frieeeeends! . . . Yeeeeeahhhh . . ."

Sorry for my lame screen-name, by the way: I see that not only did I misspell it, but that it was already taken! ;)

And one correction: you can play them without dowloading the google player, I should have said, but it appears you have to do so in order to save them (they're in a .gvi format). Cheers.

chinasky said:
Sorry for my lame screen-name, by the way: I see that not only did I misspell it, but that it was already taken! ;)

You have hit upon a hot button for me.

I think (in all seriousness, as such; as much as I can ever, or ever do, muster) that you should look upon your error as a badge of honor to be worn in the true Bukowskian sense. The inattention to detail and general sloppiness that is manifested is actually a subconscious tribute to the Hero himself. Buk would do the same exact thing, if he were in your shoes; and, he would do it consciously. I feel it is a statement on the nature of the universe, such as it is; and one that he made often).

Look at how the world is put together; would any reasonable mind have created it to be so? The general absurdity of life?its broken symmetry; it?s a staggering, drunken swirl of clueless entities wandering about on this planet, trying to find their asses with both hands. No, my friend, Father Buk would be most proud of you; and I am too. Make no excuses for walking in the footsteps of genius.

SD

chinasky said:

Ok, for a minute there i was confused... saying to myself "was it really 'china sky'?" ... LOL

SamDusky wrote:

>I think (in all seriousness, as such; as much as I can ever, or ever do, muster) that you should look upon your error as a badge of honor to be worn in the true Bukowskian sense.

Well, when you put it that way, I can hardly refuse. Thankee mate.

P.S. I've confirmed that indeed *all 52 segments* of the Bukowski Tapes are available on google video.

I like got my copy of the Bukowski Tapes a few years ago in NYC at a place called Kino Video. My favorite episode of the Bukowski Tapes is Number 15. They should have put that episode in Born Into This instead of the one where he kicks his girlfriend.Number 15 goes something like this:
It's late, the camera is close up in Bukoski's face. He's appears pretty lit(at least in my opinion), eyes are slits, anyway, this is what he says-
"This whole place is diseased with the presence of everybody but myself.
"I don't like people" Bukowski says,
"There is something wrong with me...I don't know what it is...but I'm not going to try to cure it.
(Staring straight at the camera(cameramen?))You smell a rose up your asshole, your asshole is dead shit to begin with, it doesn't matter if a rose is up it or a thorn's dick. (snickering camermen)
"God, you kids don't understand any inventive decency of any sort...Your just so subliminal (says the word a couple of times) to what ever occurence..... you just ride the tender little wave of nowhere.
You have no original courage of definition.
You're all flat pancake mamas with syrup spilled over your heads.
You have nothing...you have no direction....you have no motive.
All you want is money.
You don't even know what money is, you want it, but when you get it you wont even know what to do with it...just smear it up your asshole and swallow it....out your nostril of death.(ha ha ha ha )
And I know less than you either, even though I talk about it.
At least I smooth it out and dance it around which makes more sense than letting it sit still. (ha ha ha )
I'm pretty clever, in spite of my dumbness, don't worry.

Chapters 4 and 5 of the bukowski tapes

Hi folks,

Has anyone worked out how to download chapters 4 and 5 of the Buk tapes at Google? I have all the rest, but I wannem all, goddamnit!

please get back to me if you managed to get hold them.

thanks

peace

dR

I found that sometimes the download button is there and sometimes not.

These links should take you straight to the AVI files:

chapter 4

chapter 5

Rename the files when you save them.

Thanks for the info on the dvd's I should have koncked on his door when I was living in Redondo. hell my friends from Jersey lived in San Perdo and I was allways going over there house,anyway thanks again.

mjp said:
if they do sell Barfly DVD's for $25 I'll buy some! Heh.

It looks like they do,
But they can't, right?!
Why are they so expensive, anyway? out of print, or what?

I'll try to order 1....

Seems like the forum is getting pretty large and sprawling now, and we're starting to see duplicated threads... (No offence intended Johannes:) )

Do you have time to shuffle the deck mjp? Maybe create a few more sub-sections?

BTW, I'd also recommend the Firefox plugin that cirerita mentioned elsewhere for those who want to easily capture these online clips to their harddrives.

VideoDownloader Extension For Firefox Browser

Has anyone tried this one too:

MediaPlayerConnectivity Extension For Firefox Browser

Supposed to let you open those embedded clips in another prog - like Media Player or Real Player - I say supposed too as I can't install any more extensions - I've managed to break something within Firefox.

hank solo said:
Do you have time to shuffle the deck mjp? Maybe create a few more sub-sections?
What kind of sections?

As we get bigger there's no avoiding duplicate threads, it happens on every forum. I can try to merge them when they come up.

Do you guys know already that The Bukowski Tapes are available at Google Videos?

EDIT: sorry, should've read the old messages properly first, you do know. Well, how about this: do you know that they can be downloaded as AVI-files as well?

EDIT 2: damn it, I really should read all the messages, you know that as well. Well, to contribute at least something, if somebody has trouble doing that, I have the rapidshare links for them if somebody wants to download them from there.

- m

Well, as for sections, within the Video, audio, film and other media you could have separate areas for the well known films and documentaries, with sticky threads containing the most often wanted info - such as links to online streams...

Errr... I won't suggest a seperate section for each book...

I guess its bound to be harder to maintain a neat and simple format as this place gets bigger and bigger, so maybe merging is the answer, but even thats going to take time after a while.

Oh well, I can cope with reading the same info more than once - and as I get older, it might be necessary to keep my brain ticking over...

mronkain said:
Do you guys know already that The Bukowski Tapes are available at Google Videos?
That's cool. mronkain; at least your heart's in the right place. (And, no, please no one need say "in the chest.")

SD

Hmm, that's not a bad idea, though I think we'll keep it as-is for now. When we have more posts we can subdivide a bit.

Good Lord! This was a great find! I had never seen the Bukowski Tapes before, and was always curious about the bootlegs on eBay...

Thanks!

mjp, I just noticed how in Chapter One of the Tapes, Bukowski talks about his love for the smog. Did that line have anything to do with the name behind smog.net? Just wondering...

Nope. The excuse I usually give is at the bottom of this page: http://smog.net/about/

The reality is, it was a short, appropriate-for-Los Angeles domain, and I was early enough to grab it. No special reason behind it. The site started a little over two years before the smog.net domain, under a different name.

Here's a little trivia for you; domain name registration used to be free. The cost was underwritten by the NSF (National Science Foundation) in the U.S.. You had to be a bit of a geek in those days to register a domain, much less actually host a site. Things have changed a bit since then.

Live footage of Bukowski

A BUS LOAD OF live bukowski interviews can be found here: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Bukowski

You might already have this link. but there's a shitload of footage here. buk direct. buk in front of cam. muts be about 40 videos.

This is winner footage for all us pathetic Bukowski lovers....

HERE HE IS....belly eyed life wise and life sized!

:) :) :) :)

Oops....I figured they would be here already but I since I came across them I thought I should add them again anyway...I guess, if knew they where here, I could have linke back to the orginal post.

Anyway....here they are again!

Happy watching - flesh and bone people!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back