The Bukowski Tapes by Barbet Schroeder (1 Viewer)

Just in case somebody doesn't want to (or know how to) download them, here they are readily in AVi format, packed with WinRAR, shared in Rapidshare.
- m

Or pinned up. ;) It means it will always appear at the top of the thread listing for the forum it's in.

Does anyone know who owns the master footage of these Tapes?

It would be quite wonderful to see ALL the footage unedited and without that horribly sad dirge music between clips. I don't care if it is 64 hours long, I assure you I would watch every minute of it. :)

I assume Barbet Schroeder still owns the footage (he shot it), unless he sold it off, which seems unlikely. I've never seen much in the way of public comment from him about the tapes or any indication that they will ever be released on a wider scale.

I think Barbet is much more focused on his current projects than in the B. Tapes. Moreover, it seems that he and Linda had some "issues" after B.'s death, and I don't think this will help to re-release the B Tapes on DVD or HD-DVD.

Brother Schenker said:
Does anyone know who owns the master footage of these Tapes?

It would be quite wonderful to see ALL the footage unedited and without that horribly sad dirge music between clips.

Oy, amen to that. When you watch a gaggle of them in one sitting, that music makes you want to stick your head in the oven. . .

Official DVD Release of Bukowski Tapes

Barbet Schroeder's "The Charles Bukowski Tapes" documentary is coming to DVD on August 29th from Barrel Entertainment in a delux two-disc set. The DVD is available for pre-ordering already at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._11_1/104-8994643-2064711?redirect=true&n=130

More info will be up at the Barrel Entertainment web site later this week:
http://www.barrel-entertainment.com

Here's the press release info:

BARREL ENTERTAINMENT PROUDLY PRESENTS

THE CHARLES BUKOWSKI TAPES

A FILM BY BARBET SCHROEDER

When Barbet Schroeder (More, General Idi Amin Dada, Single White Female) began work on the movie Barfly, he had no idea that it would be such a struggle. During the seven years it took him to complete the film, he turned his cameras on its screenwriter, poet and novelist Charles Bukowski.

?I couldn?t stand the thought of not being able to share the extraordinary evenings we spent together,? said Schroeder. ?I finally brought in a small crew, friends of mine, with a high quality video set up. Whoever was the least drunk took control of the camera.?

Bukowski, legendary for his drunken excess and frank observations on life, love, and survival, took no exception with Schroeder.

Barbet Schroeder recalls, ?I had no idea of what I might do with the material, but I didn?t want those evenings to be lost. As I don?t like formal interviews, I tried to get him started on a topic and then keep from interrupting him. The result was often a monologue of three minutes or longer.?

Schroeder eventually completed The Charles Bukowski Tapes, a four-hour long study of the man and the music of his words. ?The ideal way to show this material was in short video-clips?a new style of film. Once I had screened it this way, it seemed twice as powerful.?

Available for the first time in the world on DVD, Barrel Entertainment is proud to present this exceptional portrait of one of America?s most vital voices.

?For those of you interested in madness, yours or mine, I can tell you a little about mine.??Charles Bukowski

Special Features Include:
? The original, complete four-hour edition, with all 52 segments presented in two volumes:
o Disc 1: Segments 1-26
o Disc 2: Segments 27-52

? Plus: A 36-page booklet featuring essays by Barbet Schroeder and Bukowski biographer Neeli Cherkovski, as well as a 1987 interview with Charles Bukowski

?An outrageously stimulating and unnerving all-night drinking session with a gutter eloquent barroom philosopher... One of the most intimate, revealing and unsparing glimpses any film or video has ever given us of a writer?s life and personality.? ? Michael Wilmington, Los Angeles Times

?Four full hours of one of America's most talented, no-bullshit writers--pulling acidic humor and streetwise honesty out of his lifetime of liquor? an incredible, one-of-a-kind document.? ? Steven Puchalski, Shock Cinema

Best,
Brian Krueger
Barrel Entertainment

Wow, I thought that might happen some day, but it's still kind of surprising.

The price is very reasonable too.

Good news indeed! - and the price is cheap when I compare it with the 105 $ I paid for the original video tapes! And it?s so much easier to find your favourite segments on dvd. I gotta have this dvd set...

I seem to remember someone offering me a bootleg of the tapes that was 15 hours long, the four-hour version being just the edited highlights that Schroeder made for French TV. Is my memory/imagination playing tricks on me again... or are there 11 hours of "lowlights" remaining in Schroeder's archives?

I seem to recall that 64 hours were recorded, why not make them all available? I don't care if alot of the footage is considered dull by someone else; it's Buk when he was alive.

It's like footage of tornadoes: I don't want 15 second highlights, I want to see all of it; from the moment the camera was turned on until it was turned off.

I am new to the site and I don't know if this is old news or not, but The Bukowski Tapes are going to be available on dvd August 29th from Barrel Entertainment, distributed by Ryko.

sorry, I spoke too soon; I didn't read page two of this thread...

I love these tapes...they are the backbone of my dvd and cd collection. They would be the last Bukowski items to go. Barbet should be given the French Legion of Honor for having the foresight to record them. And let's not forget the immortal slapping scene and the other drunken debauches caught on camera. Here's a candid and engaging Bukowski right when he was starting to get hot recognition and his typer would be blazing for at least another ten years. Yo!

Ren6 said:
Opps, I hit the reply button too soon. To continue:
"I don't like people" Bukowski says,
"There is something wrong with me...I don't know what it is...but I'm not going to try to cure it.
(Staring straight at the camera(cameramen?))You smell a rose up your asshole, your asshole is dead shit to begin with, it doesn't matter if a rose is up it or a thorn's dick. (snickering camermen)
"God, you kids don't understand any inventive decency of any sort...Your just so subliminal (says the word a couple of times) to what ever occurence..... you just ride the tender little wave of nowhere.
You have no original courage of definition.
You're all flat pancake mamas with syrup spilled over your heads.
You have nothing...you have no direction....you have no motive.
All you want is money.
You don't even know what money is, you want it, but when you get it you wont even know what to do with it...just smear it up your asshole and swallow it....out your nostril of death.(ha ha ha ha )
And I know less than you either, even though I talk about it.
At least I smooth it out and dance it around which makes more sense than letting it sit still. (ha ha ha )
I'm pretty clever, in spite of my dumbness, don't worry.

He appears to be quite toasted there. I thought he was just going to start some kind of Aristocrats ramble or something...

I just got a new, legitimate DVD of this on Amazon, and the sound and picture are out of sync. I looked for this topic on the forum but didn't find anyone mentioning it, though I could have missed. Has it happened to anyone else or does anyone know if this is a common problem? I guess I'll exchange it for another copy, and I hope it is not a problem with alot of them.
Thanks.

In Part 2 there's a great bit about 15 minutes in. He's drunk and waffling on a bit. Then he starts talking about not liking people and out comes the following bits.............

"this whole place is diseased with the presence of everybody but myself. Now Linda's gonna come back I'm not gonna be happy when she comes back :mad:
Pretend I say "hi" :confused:I just don't like people I only like myself

"there's something wrong with me. I don't know what it is. But I'm not gonna try to cure it. All I want is what I am and I'm gonna keep pumping out what I love. you smell a rose up your arsehole, your arsehole is dead shit to begin with it doesn't matter if a rose is up it or a thorn's.........dick. God, you kids don't understand any inventive decency of any sort. You're just so subliminal to......subliminal........ subgrrr (I did say he was drunk :D) to whatever occurrence you just ride, tend your little wave of nowhere

You have no original courage of definition. You're all flat pancake mamas with syrup spread all over your heads. You have nothing. You have no direction. You have no motive. All you want is money. You don't even know what money is, you want it. But when you get it you wouldn't even know what to do with it. You just smear it up your arsehole or swallow it (starts laughing) out your nostrils.........of death (goes into madman laughter mode). And I know less than you, either. You know I talk about it, at least I smooth it out and dance it around, which makes more sense than just letting it sit still (laughs his head off). I'm pretty clever inspite of my dumbness, don't worry. I handle my arsehole (something inaudible)

Okkkay, next question. Next poem, Shiiit"

How mental

"God, you kids don't understand any inventive decency of any sort. You're just so subliminal to......subliminal........ subgrrr (I did say he was drunk ) to whatever occurrence you just ride, tend your little wave of nowhere...

You have no original courage of definition. You're all flat pancake mamas with syrup spread all over your heads. You have nothing. You have no direction. You have no motive. All you want is money. You don't even know what money is, you want it. But when you get it you wouldn't even know what to do with it. You just smear it up your arsehole or swallow it (starts laughing) out your nostrils.........of death (goes into madman laughter mode). And I know less than you, either. You know I talk about it, at least I smooth it out and dance it around, which makes more sense than just letting it sit still (laughs his head off)."

-

one of the best parts of the tapes.. - you dont understand what he says here? ..it?
- .. there is some big surprise still waiting for you.... :), enjoy.

thanks adrian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back