The Charles Bukowski Tributes - number 1 (1 Viewer)

Yep, a guy can get mighty hungry setting type.

Lead MacNuggets anyone? Chase 'em with a nice cold glass of ink.

The glue is very stable and not off-gassing. The lead is another issue. I set pieces of type between my lips while I set type (I could use three hands).

I have been checked for lead and it is all cool. I know that it is not a good idea to do this, but it is habit.

Bill

If you are patient, you can sometimes get one free. Hauling is another issue. If you get a press free, pay $500 to get it delivered and then realize that it is trashed, you are out big time.

Still, a Pearl would be an ideal press for someone that wants a larger press with a small footprint. They are 7x11's, I believe. They are very tall and skinny. They probably weigh 800 lbs, so three people could move one without too much trouble. Very cool presses. They look like an Art Deco version of my press. Still, as they are more easily moved and installed in an artist's loft, they are probably pricier.

Only 800 lbs? How much does your C&P weigh? I wonder if that extreme weight is really needed to get a good impression. In the old days everything was overbuilt, and "made to last." Maybe weight was a selling point on new presses: the heavier, the better?

The reason they weigh so much is the same reason the hand operated models will cripple you - a lot of leverage/pressure is required to print evenly across a large block of text. The mechanization of the platen presses (the giant flywheels and the frame necessary to support them) created the weight.

But even a 5x7 tabletop Kelsey weighs 90 pounds...iron is heavy, as all those 70s bands told us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back