The Fiddlehead rejection letter to Bukowski - Never seen before street address! (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
SSIA. Don't even ask me where I found this!

THE FIDDLEHEAD

495 Regent Street,
Fredericton, N.B.,
12 November, 1957

Mr. Charles Bukowski,
P.O. Box 75-451,
Sanford Station,
Los Angeles, 5, Calif.

Dear Charles Bukowski:

Thanks for sending the poems.

I am sorry to have to return them. I SAW A TRAMP LAST NIGHT was a very near thing with us indeed. I still think we are doing wrong in rejecting it.

Please try us again.

Sincerely yours,

Fred Cogswell
Editor

That PO box (3751 W 6th St. 90005 - now apparently the "Dosan Ahn Chang Ho Station") is relatively close to 580 N Kingsley Dr., which is the last known address before Mariposa. He must have had more than one place in late '56-'57 so he kept the PO box nearby.

Interesting that in 1956 he was living with Barbara Frye and had the above PO box when they split. He also got a new PO box at the time he moved in with Linda King, and again when he and Linda Beighle moved to San Pedro. It would appear to be some kind of a "this might not work out and I don't want an angry woman intercepting my mail" type of backup plan. ;)

Have you seen a copy of the rejection, or just this typed version? And what the hell is SSIA?

SSIA means Subject Says It All. Very useful in some cases.

As to the rejection, no, I didn't see a copy as I was supposed to pay a $20 fee or something, but the typed version was free. Why? Do you think they could be different?

As to the rejection, no, I didn't see a copy as I was supposed to pay a $20 fee or something, but the typed version was free. Why? Do you think they could be different?
No, I'm sure it's accurate. It makes sense. I just like to see things with my own eyes. ;)

Here's Cogswell's take on Crucifix in The Fiddlehead. Not sure of the date/issue. Didn't make a note of it. That was dumb. The second book also reviewed, while not about Bukowski, is included for the "completists" of the world.

bp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back