• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

This has got to set a record (2 Viewers)

You have to take into account that it's the Printer's Copy. I think that makes a big difference. That aucation started out at $850 and I thought to myself, "maybe I can steal this while nobody is looking." What a dope, I be.

All I can say is that you guys are absolutely off the mark re ghecksher. I can only suggest that you refrain from further discussion about him, as you will never get it right. I sincerely believe that you disrespect him at the cost of losing respect for yourselves should he ever make himself known to you.

I haven't noticed anyone here being disrespectful of ghecksher. Just several comments on the fact that he is suddenly buying up a lot of of high-end books on ebay. I personally have no idea who he or she is and I don't really care, though I do wonder where people get the money to buy such expensive luxury items in quantity... it's none of my business, I know, but still I wonder...

Hell, I would love it if I were in a position to do the same.

A while back I remember seeing two copies of this with original art, I believe for $3,500. I think they were on Sweetbooks/Skyline Books, IIRC. Can't find them anymore; at least the going rate on eBay was a fair amount less than the "retail" price.

I completely agree with Chronic. Nobody here is being disrespectful of ghecksher. Where the hell is that coming from? It's mostly envy, but the admirable kind -- not the hateful kind. I hope ghecksher's brain doesn't process information the same way as yours.

I hope ghecksher's brain doesn't process information the same way as yours.

Fuck you, Spankee.

That said:

Perhaps you take "Wow - it's Dermaface vs Stnickl all over again" to be a sign of respect. I do not.

BTW, I was only trying to save you gossipy girls from yourselves (because I respect you and believe I know how you'd feel if you met gh - my gesture was a sign of respect in and of itself, which you would have likely noticed if you didn't accede to your little pecker's instincts so quickly).

Perhaps you take "Wow - it's Dermaface vs Stnickl all over again" to be a sign of respect. I do not.
Since you are a bookseller yourself, it is understandable that the subject of overpaying might be a sensitive one for you. I'm sure that as far as you are concerned there is no such thing as overpaying. Most of the rest of us, however, live in a different world. Welcome to it.

Anyway, if ghecksher "makes himself known" to us (which apparently would be akin to Jesus dining with lepers), we will welcome him the same way we welcome everyone, and he'll be free to state his opinion, just like you are.

I am not a bookseller. I am a Bukowski fan who has greatly enjoyed diving deep into the Bukowski diaspora. Why does everyone on this wonderful board insist on rushing to judgment on everyone?

I have lived an extremely varied lifestyle - rags, riches, drugs, abstinence, stability, insanity, violence, etc. Your statement that I need welcoming to your collective "different world" speaks volumes to its insularity. Perhaps I was trying to entice you to step outside - there's a motherfuckload going on out here. Take a sniff.

I am not a bookseller. I am a Bukowski fan who has greatly enjoyed diving deep into the Bukowski diaspora. Why does everyone on this wonderful board insist on rushing to judgment on everyone?
Judgment? What the hell? How do you think most people around here would know you? On abebooks.com it says:

Bookseller:
Vicarious Books
(Hoboken, NJ, U.S.A.)

So perhaps you can forgive me for calling you a bookseller. I won't do it again.

Your statement that I need welcoming to your collective "different world" speaks volumes to its insularity.
You paid $8500 for a copy of Genius of the Crowd. You live in a different world than many of us.

This may seem like an insular place to you because you come in half-cocked and with your defenses turned up to 11 every time you post, and that - understandably - makes people react not so warmly to you.

How can you call my recent posts defensive? I was merely suggesting that you might regret personally and in you heart of intelligent hearts feel silly underestimating gh's motives, style and skill. Nick and Ross are (admittedly, not close) friends, but their battles were personal and damaging. Not all buyers of high-end collectible literary material can be lumped with them.

I would think that you would have come to appreciate the quality of material I buy and sell - not for a living, but for the EXPERIENCE, VICARIOUS AS IT MAY BE. I do not buy copies of Heat Wave, NQB or copies of Fire Station (yes, even with the red tissue jacket). I buy what I think any sensible collector of Bukowski material MUST have. I lose, I win, I don't really care because it's not entirely the point. It's the friction that counts. Contact with you, nymark, Krunhansl, Pam, John Martin, John Dulleghan, etc., etc. that floats my boat. I know you're in there - an extremely intelligent, sentient, sexy being. WHY CAN'T I GET THROUGH???????

what's wrong with heat wave? i was really excited to have found a copy at a bookstore and had the chance to leaf through it. i like ken price's art a lot, and i think the presentation is really nice. not ostentatious, but pretty luxurious. the font could be better, i think, but otherwise, i would buy a copy if i could afford it.

what's wrong with heat wave?

The plexiglass slipcase is a little cheesy and it's a hard book to handle or read because of the way it's constructed, but then, I get the impression that it was issued mainly for people to admire on their shelf. The Ken Price screenprints are nice but the compartment at the back is oddly designed and awkward. A nice enough looking book, but not very practical.

In my opinion (not that anyone asked but here it is anyway) it would have been much nicer to have a slim book of text enclosed in a cloth covered clamshell box with the prints in a separate box or a sleeve at the bottom.

How can you call my recent posts defensive? I was merely suggesting that you might regret personally and in you heart of intelligent hearts feel silly underestimating gh's motives, style and skill. Nick and Ross are (admittedly, not close) friends, but their battles were personal and damaging. Not all buyers of high-end collectible literary material can be lumped with them.

I would think that you would have come to appreciate the quality of material I buy and sell - not for a living, but for the EXPERIENCE, VICARIOUS AS IT MAY BE. I do not buy copies of Heat Wave, NQB or copies of Fire Station (yes, even with the red tissue jacket). I buy what I think any sensible collector of Bukowski material MUST have. I lose, I win, I don't really care because it's not entirely the point. It's the friction that counts. Contact with you, nymark, Krunhansl, Pam, John Martin, John Dulleghan, etc., etc. that floats my boat. I know you're in there - an extremely intelligent, sentient, sexy being. WHY CAN'T I GET THROUGH???????

Boy, you really are a pratt.
You are right though... your recent posts are more offensive than defensive. You don't wait, you just jumped down some throats for asking an innocent question.
"I am not a bookseller" and "fuck you spanky" are enough to let me know what kind of person we're dealing with.
Add to that the fact that you come off all high and mighty when we're just curious about the identity of a new ebay high roller (personally, I think you just wanted to let us know that you know who it is) and you come off stinking to the rafters.

P.S. I paid $1800 for a copy of Dangling with a painting and that's what you could have bought one for up until recently from James at Skyline.

I sincerely believe that you disrespect him at the cost of losing respect for yourselves should he ever make himself known to you.

With all respects to Andrew, I am not sure where anyone disrespected this person. We were only discussing how he seemingly came out of nowhere to start buying up some high dollar Buk items. I guess if someone can find a comment that did say something unkind, then I will stand corrected.

Bill

2089534025_efe91aa7b7_o.gif

Fuck you, Spankee.

That said:

BTW, I was only trying to save you gossipy girls from yourselves (because I respect you and believe I know how you'd feel if you met gh - my gesture was a sign of respect in and of itself, which you would have likely noticed if you didn't accede to your little pecker's instincts so quickly).

Conflicted much? :eek:

James Musser

P.S. I paid $1800 for a copy of Dangling with a painting and that's what you could have bought one for up until recently from James at Skyline.

James is truly a Great Man. He is kind and sincere, and his prices are reasonable without fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back