Tom Waits (2 Viewers)

As much as I've heard everyone here talk about him I decided I'd give him a run. I started by searching on YouTube. The first thing that came up was a performance and an interview from 1976. What the fuck drugs was he on back then? He won't stop fidgeting around. Someone give him some crack. Okay, I'm done...

Anyone ever seen the episode of "Fishing with John" where Waits and Lurie go to Jamaica? Pretty funny... Waits is miserable the entire time. Supposedly, after shooting this episode, Tom Waits wouldn't speak to John Lurie for over 10 years. There's a Criterion disc available of the entire series (about 10 episodes) which I would highly recommend.

just been watchin it. It's gorgeous!
Ninjerk, thanks for sharing!
If you didn't like That one, I'd guess the whole Tom Waits thing wouldn't suit you. I will not try to force you in to him since taste is a personal matter always. (Though I wonder about it! He's so much FUN in this one!)
Anyway, if you DO want to give him a 2nd chance, look out for the book by Patrick Humphries. It's an old one, so I guess it must be cheap at some 2nd-hand-bookstore. Shows something.
Just a suggestion.

I don't dislike his style, but any monkey that big on your back tends to turn me off. Well, I guess not... I like Ray and Johnny and STP.

I like Ray and Johnny and STP.
Am not familiar with US-culture, so: What is Ray/Johnny/STP? (this quest is No joke! btw)
Last US-series I've watched was 'Unfabulous' on Nick with the daughter of my then girlfriend. Not the worst I ever seen on TV though.

Anyway, back to Tom:
maybe it was important in these times to be VERY much different to be different at all.
If you don't give up on him totally, I'd still recommend the named book. If not - doesn't matter. I'm not sure wether Buk would've accepted Waits, concerning musical style or public appearance. (but am quite sure they'd go along well as persons, if they'd met.)

I'm not sure wether Buk would've accepted Waits, concerning musical style or public appearance. (but am quite sure they'd go along well as persons, if they'd met.)

I'm pretty sure that they knew each other, at least casually. Bukowski was definitely an influence for Waits.

Am not familiar with US-culture, so: What is Ray/Johnny/STP? (this quest is No joke! btw)

Sorry, Ray = Ray Charles, Johnny = Johnny Cash, STP = Stone Temple Pilots. Scott Weiland (however you spell it) was pretty well known as a heroine addict. Same for a lot of the guys I listen to, it's just I usually don't see them jitterbugging during an interview because of it.

Sorry, Ray = Ray Charles, Johnny = Johnny Cash, STP = Stone Temple Pilots. Scott Weiland (however you spell it) was pretty well known as a heroine addict.

A heroine addict? - Don't you mean a heroin addict? A heroine is a female hero...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha-ha...I don't think so, but it would indeed be funny if it was true...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok ,enough of this hootananie i just went through me dusty old attic & found
Wake in Fright by Kenneth Cook ,it could be hard to track down but well worth the effort, weighs in @ 142 pages, if you want to know what kind of thing inspired Wolfcreek look no further.

For anyone who is interested (actually, this is still true for those who aren't interested), there is a reading of Nirvana by Waits, accompanied by pump organ. I really enjoyed it, and it's the reason I find myself browsing a Bukowski website.

Anyway, I think that Waits is just a naturally fidgety guy. I don't recall reading that he did anything worse than drinking but I couldn't say for sure.

I'd highly recommend his albums "Rain Dogs" and the slightly more difficult "Swordfishtrombones", if you like to hear good stories.

Anyone ever seen the episode of "Fishing with John" where Waits and Lurie go to Jamaica? Pretty funny... Waits is miserable the entire time. Supposedly, after shooting this episode, Tom Waits wouldn't speak to John Lurie for over 10 years. There's a Criterion disc available of the entire series (about 10 episodes) which I would highly recommend.

Fishing with John was and is, the ultimate fishing show. I'd like to get my hands on the complete set.

Waits is a wonder, my first exposure to him was in '74 when a friend and I went to see Frank Zappa at UMASS. Waits was the opening act, and I had no idea what to expect.This strange dude appeared on stage with little guitars and pianos.

Fast forward thirty years of so and my second time seeing his performance was at the Beacon Theatre in NYC. Amazing!

In between we've collected every disc, album and tape we could find and have become real fans of this unique and wonderful artist.

For anyone who is interested (actually, this is still true for those who aren't interested), there is a reading of Nirvana by Waits, accompanied by pump organ. I really enjoyed it, and it's the reason I find myself browsing a Bukowski website.

Anyway, I think that Waits is just a naturally fidgety guy. I don't recall reading that he did anything worse than drinking but I couldn't say for sure.

I'd highly recommend his albums "Rain Dogs" and the slightly more difficult "Swordfishtrombones", if you like to hear good stories.

This is only my guess, but I've always thought Tom Waits is in complete control. His style is unusual, but I don't think it is the result of heroin. I saw him on campus at UC Berkeley in 1979 (?) and he looked like a very talented, consumate pro. It was part of his character to appear loaded. Whereas if you see late films of Billie Holiday singing, it is more obvious that she was genuninely in pain and genuinely high. Her reflexes, for example, were slowed down by the heroin.

Anyway, how I enjoy Tom Waits, even in films, such as Down By Law by Jim Jarmusch. I hope he's not big on self destruction.

Jim Jarmusch is so perfectly OFF BEAT don't you like "Broken Flowers" and all the plain old ordinary types of people we know an example of.....Scotch- and I don't mean Olaf- can be very theraputic -or however the fuch you spell it. Have a Nice Day.

I doubt that Waits has anything to do with dope at this point. He's far too productive. I'd read, or heard somewhere, that he no longer drinks either.

Heard some cut's on the radio from the new three CD package; "Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards"

Good stuff

Heard some cut's on the radio from the new three CD package; "Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards"

Good stuff

It should be mentioned that Johnny Brewton of X-Ray Book Company designed this 3 CD set for Tom Waits. I have meant to get one, but have not yet. The limited edition set comes with a 90+ page book that was completely designed by Johnny. Many of the members know that X-Ray Book Co has put out some beautiful Bukowski broadsides over the years.

Bill

Waits was always a great master at creating just the character he wanted us to see....part carnival huckster, part beat poet, part gravedigger...whether he was high or sober. I think he got sober somewhere around Swordfishtrombones.
-Charlie

holy crap.
I bet that's just gonna be awful.
but I hope she does a video for each song. heh.

She's an unusual person primarily known as an actor. I don't know if she can sing, but I know there is more to her than meets the eye (though what meets the eye is not exactly unpleasant).

That's the problem when you have a high profile job, people assume everything else you do is just self-indulgent wanking. And usually it is. But I remember seeing model/actress Milla Jovovich sing (original songs) maybe 10 years ago, and I have to say, it was really fucking good. Not just good-for-a-model good. Then again, maybe I was just drunk enough to enjoy it and it really wasn't so great. All I have are my cloudy memories.

So I reserve judgment on miss Johansson's abilities, but the odds are not in her favor. Hard to be taken seriously, those types.

That's the problem when you have a high profile job, people assume everything else you do is just self-indulgent wanking. And usually it is.Hard to be taken seriously, those types.

but I'm not comparing Shatner to Scarlett. she is more talented and I'm sure a better singer.

I remember seeing model/actress Milla Jovovich sing (original songs) maybe 10 years ago, and I have to say, it was really fucking good.

she's on the 'Million Dollar Hotel' soundtrack with a version of Lou Reeds 'Satellite of love'. Her voice is beautiful.

Ever heard Shatner Sing Common People?

When I started this link just now, a friend of mine who sits on the computer next to me immediately screamed "The SHAT!" - well, she's into trash-punk-rock usually. so that fits.

Yeah, he moved from NYC because of their smoking ban. I guess that if it continues to go the same way in Europe as it is going, he may end up in North Africa.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back