Top Ten Bukowski-Quotes (1 Viewer)

#5. born again. "I have the feeling that drinking is a form of suicide where you're allowed to return to life and begin all over the next day. It's like killing yourself, and then you're reborn."

jim morrison said something very similiar to this, in an interview. anyhow.

Was Celine Celine or was he somebody else? Sometimes I felt that I didn't even know who I was. All right, I'm Nicky Belane. But check this. Somebody could yell out, "Hey, Harry! Harry Martel!" and I'd most likely answer, "Yeah, what is it?" I mean, I could be anybody, what does it matter? What's in a name?

"”Charles Bukowski, Pulp

My favorite. I used it as the epigraph for "Mr. Bukowski's Wild Ride" ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Those indeed are some great quotes... but by not including his poetry, they're missing many great other ones.

Ah well, they made some decent choices just the same.

Good choice on your part too CD. Pulp's very underrated...

#5. born again. "I have the feeling that drinking is a form of suicide where you're allowed to return to life and begin all over the next day. It's like killing yourself, and then you're reborn."

jim morrison said something very similiar to this, in an interview. anyhow.
Yeah, Morrison sure did, in that beautiful, overlooked song The Crystal Ship.

The lyric is:

The crystal ship is being filled
A thousand girls, a thousand thrills
A million ways to spend your time
When we get back, Ill drop a line

I'd sign this.

Part of me understands why people might not like Pulp as much... But most of me had a really, really good time reading it. It was like reading a Bukowski novel that was a lot more fun.

I just started reading "Pulp", LTS. Not the greatest but humorous and playful.

I think that's why I like it. It isn't entirely typical Bukowski. More like the few stories I've read from the City Lights published stuff. Good, clean (?) fun.

I think the thing about Pulp (and this is the last time I'll say anything about it) that makes it a bit of a drag for me is that it came out less than 2 months after Bukowski died, and as I was reading it I was thinking (naturally), "Okay, he's writing about his own death," but I think it was too soon somehow to be reading that. I'm pretty sure that's why I only read it once and why I may never read it again. It is just a memory of a bad time. Maybe if I had read it two years or five years or ten years later I would feel differently. But I didn't, so I can't.

All of the post-mortem books are bittersweet to me. And they have a different feel to me when I read them than the books that came out when he was alive. I know that isn't quantifiable, or maybe I am not explaining it well, and maybe it's just really stupid, but there you go.

Yeah, Morrison sure did, in that beautiful, overlooked song The Crystal Ship.

The lyric is:

The crystal ship is being filled
A thousand girls, a thousand thrills
A million ways to spend your time
When we get back, Ill drop a line

I know he's referring to a Rolling Stone interview with Morrison when he says, and I couldn't find the exact qoute, "Drinking is like suicide or slow capitulation, with each sip you have another choice," the interviewer asks him what that means and he says, "I dunno, man let's go next door and get a drink." And the interview ends.

yeah, cool thread!
I wasn't aware.
let's re-animate it!
if for nothing else, at least my link was good for this.

your link was great - you can never have too many 'bukquoteski's' -most of what he says is worth quoting anyways...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back