• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Sold Two First Editions (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Berlin based auction house Nosbüsch & Stucke is offering two of the rarest first editions by Charles Bukowski at their upcoming auction 8 on November 5, 2016.

Lot 591: Longshot Poems for Broke Players. New York, 7 Poets Press, (1962). - One of about 200 copies and Fogel's “top 20 Bukowski rarities”. - Estimate: 1.800,- Euro

Lot 592: Run with the Hunted. Chicago, Midwest Poetry Chapbooks, (1962). - One of about 300 copies. - Estimate: 1.200,- Euro

Check the online catalogue: http://www.nosbuesch-stucke.berlin/?s=bukowski

run-longshot.jpg

Thank you Roni!

The two lots will be auctioned at about 1.30 pm CET on November 5, 2016.

I recommend to register on the Nosbüsch & Stucke website to place your bid:
http://www.nosbuesch-stucke.berlin/registrieren/?lang=en

Live online bidding is possible via lot-tissimo.com and invaluable.com.
And of course we are ready to call you during the auction.

Lot 591 "Longshot Poems for Broke Players" will start at 1200,- Euro/Estimate price 1800,- Euro.
Lot 592 "Run with the Hunted" starts with 800,- Euro/Estimate price 1200,- Euro.

Good luck!

Last edited:
27% vig on the hammer price, plus "dispatch", insurance, an additional 3 points it seems for bidding online, and it says payment in cash only. Wow, maybe I'll bid on Montfort's mood ring instead.

In fact invaluable charges 5% of the hammer price for life online bidding, lot-tissimo only 3%.

As I said, bidding via the Nosbüsch & Stucke website is highly recommended.

Payment in cash is rubbish, it is a mistranslation in our conditions of sale. Sorry!

Last edited:
So, if I am the winning bidder get an invoice for the 27% vig and 5% extra special vig and demand in cash, what do we do? Just blame the translation or blame Billy Bush?

You can easily spare the invaluable 5% charge, when you place your bid on the Nosbüsch & Stucke website.

If you do so and you are the winning bidder, you will get an invoice (hammer price + 27 % premium (EU) or 20% premium for customers from the US (or other so called Third Countries) + 30,- euros shipping costs + 30,- euros customs export declaration costs) and after paying via bank transfer we are going to send your beautiful first editions to you.

This is the normal auction house procedure.

Last edited:
Even Christies Auction house only charges 25%. Roni, is every auction house in Germany this high, or just his auction house being predatory?

The seller would make a lot more money selling through PBA at 20% vig. Buyers always take the vig into account when bidding, so a seller makes less. Hell, the seller would have more success selling on eBay than an auction house with a 27% buyers vig (plus probably a huge sellers vig). Someone will get a steal on these poor condition booklets.

This is the normal auction house procedure.
If you recall, our friend from PBA used the same excuse when confronted with the reality that their fees are in excess of what a criminal organization would skim off your gambling winnings or charge to borrow money (which is why everyone is saying "vig").

Yes, it is "normal auction house procedure." Which is why auction houses are shit.

Buyers from the US (or other Third Countries, i.e. non EU) only pay a 20% premium.

I think our shipping and customs declaration costs are quite low.

Is it normal to be insulted here?

Last edited:
Sabine,
Good luck with this auction. Being insulting and confrontational to the largest gathering of Bukowski collectors in the world while you are trying to sell Bukowski books is not going to help the hammer price. Hopefully the seller does not see this thread and realize that you are costing them sales. I am one person that will now NOT bid and will NOT drive that price up. I'll let the eventual winner get it a LOT cheaper. Too bad for your auction house and especially the person who is selling these two books.

Also, why overcharge Germans by 7% vig? Is it to shut the controversy down or because 20% is the highest you can charge in other countries? I'm sure my German friends will not be happy to hear that they are paying so much more than everyone else.... just saying.

Last edited:
Buyers from third countries (i.e. outside the European Union) are not liable to VAT and trade buyers from EU-countries who have a VAT Identification Number are freed from VAT for all trade purposes. All other EU-buyers are liable to VAT. That makes the difference.

Last edited:
Dear Bukowski-Lovers,

I am the seller of those two beautiful books, and I am really sad to feel this negativity around and am especially sorry to hear your anger. I asked Sabine to post in the forum, to let you guys know that there is the possibility to get your hands on those copies if you like to.

Because of a lack of time and strength, I had to choose the way of selling the books via an auctioneer, even if the price will be a bit lower for me. The Nosbüsch and Stucke is a well established berlinbased Auctioneer, they are specialized in auctioning art books international for years.

Sabine listed the conditions, there are no hidden fees or any mumbo jumbo. It is hard for me to let go off of those two books, because I always liked them the most but you guys know, times can be a bit stormier sometimes…that’s why I choose to do it this way. I just would like to know, that those books get into good hands.

Best L.Kr

When making a sales pitch, it's good to know your audience. I'm sorry you have to sell your books, I really am. But if your main concern was really to get these books into good hands, (which always seems to be a bit disingenuous), then you probably should have tried us directly.
Good luck, but I'm still undecided in the election and am too busy researching the candidates to participate in your sale.

there are no hidden fees...
When your business consists of turning people upside down and shaking all of the money out of their pockets, while, incidentally, providing only the tiniest and flimsiest of services to them, you don't need hidden fees. The fees that are out in the open are enough.

I'm sorry you're "really sad." But I would just point out to you, as I did to your friend Sabine, that there is no negativity aimed at you or your books here. The negativity is inspired by and aimed at the auction house(s), so I'm not sure why you are both so disheartened and disappointed and bummed out by any of this. It isn't about you.

I'm sure the auction houses were scared shitless when eBay came around, but the auction houses have survived -- probably because only commoners would buy anything on eBay. Or maybe people are afraid of fake items online and (if you don't know your shit) perhaps they are right. I am sorry you are giving up your books, but I guarantee you'd find a much happier home for them here. The prices you are asking are not over the top -- it's just the extra pound of flesh that makes us a little queezy.

auction houses have survived...
I would bet that not all auction houses have survived the Internet. But some will always survive, the same way $200,000 cars and watches survive: because some people have more money than sense, and they are easily duped and conned by imaginary things like prestige.

If you have a collection to sell, there's absolutely nothing that an auction house can do for you that you can't do yourself. Especially something like a Bukowski collection. The big players are all known, so a few emails to the right people and everyone who you'd really want to know would be aware that you're selling. That seems like it would be an easy grapevine to tap.

Or you could just drop it off at an auction house somewhere and give them a third of what you'd get without them. For some people that cost may be reasonable. Like if you're really old or sick or don't have hands and feet.

For anyone who can still walk and type though, selling your own shit isn't rocket surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back