US Election (1 Viewer)

I know I don't start many threads on here and I know politics can be dull as ditch water but I was surprised there had been so little talk about the Presidential election on here. Are you all just so cynical about the whole affair? I am a bit although I tend to think that, if nothing else, Obama is the lesser of two evils. One thing that struck me though is that each campaign reputedly cost around $1billion. That's absolutely obscene.

I know here in Merry Olde England everyone was very excited by the whole thing.

We love a good democracy where like here you get to have a say once every four years; although what you really want to say has to be transformed into a vote which you then cast for someone who doesn't really represent your values, but who might do a better job of it than some other guy. By which point you've forgotten what it is you wanted to say anyway because you're too busy arguing with some bastard who is throwing his weight behind the other guy who although he thinks is too liberal will at least protect imaginary babies.

Personally I'm all for a liberal dictatorship. All this change just makes poor people think they matter. Until they realise that the change being referred to is loose.

We long ago abandoned reasonable political discourse here, so bringing up politics is like bringing up religion or computer operating systems. Two other things people believe in for no reason.

Blame Ronald Reagan for that. He killed something the FCC used to enforce called "equal time." When that was in place you couldn't have a network like Fox that only beat the drum for one "side." If you broadcast a partisan message you had to give the opposing viewpoint equal time on the air. For that reason you heard very little far right wing or far left wing discussion, because no broadcaster wanted to be responsible for providing equal time for the other side. Once that rule was gone, it opened the door to extremism, and extremism was quite happy to rush in and take over.

If you only hang around people who agree with you, you never have to consider that you might be wrong about anything. So now everyone believes they know the truth and everyone else is ignorant.

yes, every since I had a hissy fit (rightfully) when my Tsar's Ceremonial Fez was slanderously mocked we've had a gentleman's agreement not to discuss politics.

LONG LIVE THE TSAR!!!

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard Colorado and Washington had legalised marijuana. Rastafari! I jumped out of bed and booked the next available flight.

Lovely Maggie?
We're still paying for the policies of that bitch and her swineherd. When I heard a top conservative in her government was implicated in a child abuse scandal going back some thirty years, I was rubbing my hands with glee, going, "Who is it? Who is it? Please let it be Heseltine!" 'jim'll fix it' could have fixed that.

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard Colorado and Washington had legalised marijuana. Rastafari!
I suppose it's a step toward Rastafari!, but legalization or decriminalization here in California hasn't stopped the federal government from locking up a lot of Californians for a very long time on herb charges.

The state can marry you and license you to drive a car everywhere in the country, but somehow that doesn't apply to a likkle collie. Richard Nixon continues to torment people from his grave. Somehow there are still people who believe in the "war on drugs" that he started. Or should I say a war on drugs that are not taxed or brought to market by politically powerful corporations.

Politics and religion. Hooray!

I've been sharing that Rachel Maddow clip on Facebook and e-mailing it around to friends, too. In about 3 minutes, she summarizes almost exactly my own reaction to the results last Tuesday.

At around the 2:00 mark, right after her "shellacked" comment, her voice breaks just a little... yet she finishes out without getting too emotional. I love that. It's like a girlfriend on the verge of splitting up with you, but she wishes you would just get a fucking clue and shape up already. Ahem.... not that I would know anything about that...

I know here in Merry Olde England everyone was very excited by the whole thing.

We love a good democracy where like here you get to have a say once every four years; although what you really want to say has to be transformed into a vote which you then cast for someone who doesn't really represent your values, but who might do a better job of it than some other guy. By which point you've forgotten what it is you wanted to say anyway because you're too busy arguing with some bastard who is throwing his weight behind the other guy who although he thinks is too liberal will at least protect imaginary babies.

Personally I'm all for a liberal dictatorship. All this change just makes poor people think they matter. Until they realise that the change being referred to is loose.
Seems like the media on both sides on the pond did a good job of making out it was a close race. Drew Linzer has been saying what the exact result would be for months. He didn't even alter the prediction after the first TV debate: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20246741

We long ago abandoned reasonable political discourse here, so bringing up politics is like bringing up religion or computer operating systems. Two other things people believe in for no reason.

Blame Ronald Reagan for that. He killed something the FCC used to enforce called "equal time." When that was in place you couldn't have a network like Fox that only beat the drum for one "side." If you broadcast a partisan message you had to give the opposing viewpoint equal time on the air. For that reason you heard very little far right wing or far left wing discussion, because no broadcaster wanted to be responsible for providing equal time for the other side. Once that rule was gone, it opened the door to extremism, and extremism was quite happy to rush in and take over.

If you only hang around people who agree with you, you never have to consider that you might be wrong about anything. So now everyone believes they know the truth and everyone else is ignorant.
:D Ok, fair enough.

From the "Cry Babys And Sore Losers" essay that Bukfan linked above:-

"You didn't lose because of a liberal media, liberal college campuses, liberal polls that were "weighted to Democrats" (mostly because they were accurate), or because of "election fraud"... actually, that probably benefited you this time.

No. You lost because your policies, tone, conspiracies, rigid inflexibility and irrational rhetoric helped align enough moderates, swing voters, and minority groups whom otherwise could be persuaded by Republicans, to align with Democrats and a beatable incumbent.

It's not that you didn't get your message out, it's that we all actually heard it and threw up a little in our mouths."

On. The. Money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the legalization of pot thing but don't support it-nothing changes the fact that it makes too many too stupid for too long-if there was a way to steer kids away from it I would support that.
I'm basing my opiniont on my life as an addict who had to say one day smoking the shit didn't make me creative-it ruined too many years and hurt my lungs. It robbed me-wish I had never touched the stuff.
Legalizing it makes it like tobacco and drink-a pleasure with two sides-but we ignore the down side of choosing these products too easily-legal or not. For every Bukowski Richards and Marley there are 1000 Ed Swirve\lys with a great piece of art written on the back of a Cheerio's box.
Again I'll pass you my lighter-but pass-win/win

Users who are viewing this thread

Back