War paint.... (1 Viewer)

bukowskipainting184.jpg

boy the paint is heavy on some of those.

i'd be worried about it cracking if the page bends at all.

any of you see that on the ones you own?

He did lay it on thick sometimes.

cracks0.jpg

cracks3.jpg

There are little cracks in all of the thick ones, but you'd expect that, since they're on paper.

cracks1.jpg

cracks2.jpg

cracks5.jpg

cracks6.jpg

cracks7.jpg

And seeing these now just makes me mad that I sold the red one. :|

cracksB.jpg

yeah the red one's great.

that's alot of crackage. yes, it's pretty much guaranteed to happen using those mediums - oil and acrylic - on a flexible surface.

we talked about mediums before but he used watercolor sometimes for the book paintings? did he ever use that cheap poster paint or
tempera? if that's put on thick enough it will crack too.

ever see any paint actually fall off the surface?

i'm sure i already asked but the paintings are bound with rest of the book? not easy to remove i would guess.

ever see any paint actually fall off the surface?
Seems like that might be happening to these two, but it's hard to tell for sure. It could have been an effect Bukowski was going for. But they look flaked.

bukowskipainting048.jpg
bukowskipainting022.jpg

i'm sure i already asked but the paintings are bound with rest of the book?
They are glued between two pages. I don't know if you can see what's going on in these pictures, but this is how every one I've ever seen was done.

war3.jpg

war4.jpg

war1.jpg

war2.jpg

The thickness of the paint also kind of embosses the page(s) on top of it...

war5.jpg

And makes a ghost image in the wax paper that they cover the paintings with...

war6.jpg

not easy to remove i would guess.
I think about doing that sometimes, and I think you could get one of the paintings out intact without too much damage to the book (or the painting). But "damage" is in the eye of the beholder I guess, since the value of the book itself, with the painting removed, would probably be $0 to a collector.

yeah i figured it would kill the book to remove them.

they could've used mounting corners but that would've been too much trouble and work i guess.

thanks for all those images and info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back