Was Bukowski a reincarnation of an Indian guru? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody heard about this?

I read about this theory somewhere, can't remember where: the theory is that Bukowski was indeed a reincarnation of a guru (or something like that, someone who had achived enlightenment?) who had come to this world in the form of a drunken writer, to bring consolation to millions.

Seems weard and ridiculous, but then again...maybe...

I have no idea about this story in particular, but the general idea behind it irks me. Why do some people insist that certain exceptional and talented people must be a re-incarnation/from another planet/angel-come-to-earth ? Nobody wants to give human achievement proper credit and just leave it at that.

Nothing against you, diogenes. I know this isn't your viewpoint and you're just asking the question.

Was Bukowski a reincarnation of Drayer Baba?

I'd say; yes. What the hell.
You have my vote in advance. Let's start a poll.

Was Bukowski a reincarnation of Meher Baba?

No, I don't think so. Is not worth a poll me thinks.

I think you should file this away with the bi-sexual/nazi/beat poet threads under the category of half-truths, rumors and outright lies.

Yes, I don't really believe in reincarnation or anything like that, I'm actually not even quite sure how it's suposed to work... But I think it is an interesting theory, even if it is complete bs. So why not talk about it? Even just for laughs or to pass the time...while waiting.

I have no idea about this story in particular, but the general idea behind it irks me. Why do some people insist that certain exceptional and talented people must be a re-incarnation/from another planet/angel-come-to-earth ? Nobody wants to give human achievement proper credit and just leave it at that.
Excellent point. You are absoulutely right. It is stupidity: I think the logic goes something like "Hmm...I really don't understand how the ancient egyptians could have built the pyramids...so I shall jump to the conclusion that it must have been the work of aliens from a distant galaxy".

I think you should file this away with the bi-sexual/nazi/beat poet threads under the category of half-truths, rumors and outright lies.
Maybe this actually should be in the "Dispelling Bukowski's myths" section? Well maybe it could be moved?

Yes! He certainly was the reincarnation of an Indian guru!!

There are some letters from the early 50's which prove it. But Bukowski Inc. has censored them out of existence. Read everything by Ben Pleasants for further information.

Because, you see, American guru is groovy, but Indian guru, even in reincarnation, is a no go.

In terms of the 'myths' section - well has anyone else heard this particular idea before?

I hadn't heard it before but it makes a certain amount of sense to me. Not Meher Baba, however. He was alive at the same time as Bukowski. It doesn't work that way. It's sequential. No overlapping. That would be messy. I don't "believe" in reincarnation, but I happen to know it's true, along with a bunch of other wild horseshit most people have the good sense to not believe that also happens to be true. The universe is stranger than you can imagine.

[...] But Bukowski Inc. has censored them out of existence.

No, young man. The letters were censored by Bukowski Ltd.!
Bukowski Inc. only burned some early manuscripts and all copies of Write. While the Bukowski estate made efforts to hide his irony-cross and his shadow in a barrel.

That's what I said.

Drayer Baba is the man.

Drayer is the "god" that one of the girls from Women lived her life by, aye? And that's why she wouldn't sleep with Buk? Which if he was a reincarnation of Drayer, that would be quite ironic: Bukowski's past-self disallowing his then-present-self to sleep with a woman he desired. And then saying in the past that one should eliminate desires (like Buddha).

I believe in reincarnation (energy, more like it, energy/matter lives on, in a transcendentalist sort of way), but on the basis of my above argument, I definitely don't think Buk was ever Drayer Baba - that would just be stupid of him.

I cut open a chicken and read in its giblets that Buk wasn't a reincarnation of somebody, but just Buk, so all speculations are proved to be bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back