Was Bukowski Jewish? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedwig

Founding member
I just read the article about Bukowski being Nazi. According to the article not only was he Nazi but also a quarter jewish. The writer of this article happened to visit Bukowski's hometown, Andernach, Germany and he found Bukowski's cousin(or someone related). This cousin of Bukowski showed Bukowski's grandmother's graveyard and guess what! The name that engraved on the gravestone was Jewish. Her last name was Israel.

Anyone familiar with this? This is a brand new information for me that right now I'm stoned. What's with the jewish people anyhow? How come all of them happened to be all so talented?

This is a brand new information for me that right now I'm stoned. What's with the jewish people anyhow? How come all of them happened to be all so talented?

Quite frankly hedwig, I do hope you actually are stoned. That might explain(not excuse) why you are posting such blantently racist remarks. I think what you said was quite offensive, and if you were stoned I could at least blame the pot and not the creepy feeling I have about your lack of tolerence......

hedwig said:
What's with the jewish people anyhow? How come all of them happened to be all so talented?
Oh, it's genetic. The same reason the Negro is such a good athlete and the Chinamen are so good at math (and so bad at driving)!

I hope that helps clear up the issue for you.

jesus.

hedwig said:
Anyone familiar with this? This is a brand new information for me that right now I'm stoned. What's with the jewish people anyhow? How come all of them happened to be all so talented?

I realize, hedwig, that you were actually (possibly) intending a racial compliment, but you have to look out for saying "all" about a given race. Things could be construed in quite the wrong way with such generalization. I?ll just write it off to, either an unfamiliarity with the language or an innocent slip on your part. And yes, we are all very talented (I mean anyone who?s in this forum).

SD

Oh I'm sorry. I think there may be some misunderstanding. You see, I didn't mean any racism. The information was so new to me that I barely even think about the fact that I might have come across the racism. Sorry. I'll delete my post soon(I won't erase it for a while because I just wanted to apologize)

No need to be so touchy on the race issue....
nothing like a good spill of prejudice...
damn humans!

anyway...any answer for the question?

Hi,
My understanding of Jewish lineage is that it is only passed through from the mother. If Bukowski was was to have been Jewish, his maternal grandmother would have had to be Jewish. Otherwise, he would not be considered Jewish, by heritage. Of course, one could just be Jewish by faith. For example, my Maternal GrandFATHER was born a jew. That would make me NOT a jew by Jewish law, even though I'm 25% jewish (75% heathen).

Of course, I could be 100% wrong on this.

Either way, I love all people of all cultures and all races and religions.

Bill

Judaism is not a race, it is a religion, but it is also a culture and a people, which can be traced in the genes and heredity like African Americans can. It is distinct like of those people who left Africa thousands of years ago and settled in other regions a few thousand less. The biggest differences in all humans are in the lines of the tribes that never left the African continent. But yes, by Jewish law, your mom has got to be Jewish for you to be 100% Jew. If it was only your dad that was Jewish, it's Hebrew school for you before you can convert, plus you have to get a Rabbi's consent, and jump through a million hoops and even go to religious court. But don't worry, you don't have to get circumcised (unless you enjoy that sort of thing.)

But with all that said, there aren't too many differences between people and animals. I think our DNA is 98% the same as primates and 66% the same as corn.

...I don't think corn could have written Factotum though.

None of you even attempted to answer the original poster's question. Was Bukowski's maternal grandmother Jewish? Pleasants says she was and shows us a headstone in Germany and an L.A. death certifcate as proof.

reform judaism just rewrote the laws so that you DO have to get circumcised, and if you are circumcised and it wasn't done by a rabbi, you have to have a ritualistic pin-prick on your [the pun is too easy] in order to convert. isn't that gross? i swear i'm not making that up.

miles concludes that buk MAY have been jewish in his bio.

From reading this forum I have learned that Bukowski was a bisexual nazi of Jewish heritage who drank moderately and fabricated all his tales.

Who knew!

Oh come on, Pleasants doesn't know his ass from his elbow, anyone can see that.

How so? Anyone can see what? Please explain your assertion and back it up with evidence and reasoned arguments.

Now then, back to the evidence: On page 184 of "VISCERAL BUKOWSKI" we see a photograph of Buk's mother's death certificate. Buk's mom's mom is called Nanatte Israel. Is Pleasants' inclusion of this piece of documentation an example of him "not knowing his ass from his elbow"?

I would remind all of you that wishful thinking is a dis-service to the Great Bukowski.

Have a nice day and remember this: "There is no Bukowski but Bukowski and his name is Bukowski".

But remember 'Ham on Rye':
"My spoon was bent so that if I wanted to eat I had to pick the spoon up with my right hand. If I'd picked it up with my left hand, the spoon bent away from my mouth. I wanted to pick the spoon with my left hand."

So maybe, if they hadn't forced Buk to become right-handed, he hadn't been a bisexual nazi? Or maybe Matt Dillon wouldbe right-handed now instead? Or a nazi? Or a Jew?

Roni, you make a valid point. The world history would have been different if people had remembered to pick their utensils with the right (pun intended) hand...:D

The world history would have been different if people had remembered to pick their utensils with the right (pun intended) hand...:D
That's No joke!
And it's not new.

Only - Life isn't like that!
The guys at the button will Never give a fuck for this.
of for ANYthing!

so,
DON'T TRY !!!
. . . just don't.

His maternal grandmother (Nannette Israel) was Jewish. This makes Charles Bukowski Jewish. No ifs or buts about it..

We don't need to go down the religion vs. culture vs. birth road again. There are other forums for that.

Other forums far, far away from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back