Well....Hi (1 Viewer)

I have been reading this forum for a while and just finally signed up.
I also enjoy bukowski, but probably do not know nearly as much about him as you all do, but that is why I like this forum.

probably best you leave now,
while you still have the chance.

sign0016.gif

Welcome, MeNoHary. After you read the entire contents of this forum you too will know as much.
MeNoGerard
How did you find Bukowski?

I was looking for a new author to read, and my friend casualy brought up Bukowski. The way my friend described him made me want to check it out. He sounded unsure if I would like it. Saying something about a grumpy old man who drinks alot and bets on horses alot. :)
So I went out and purchased Pulp (that is what my friend recommended) and about half way through I knew I was reading something special and I was hooked.

Yes I have since read: Run With The Hunted, Ham On Rye, Factotum, Post Office, and am currently reading The Last Night of the Earth Poems.

When I got pulp I knew nothing about Bukowski, so I had no idea it was his last Novel, or that I would want to read more of his work.

I really liked it and wish I would have read it later instead of first because I probably did not pick up on as much as I would now. I plan on re-reading it.

it definitely IS common oppinion here to read it last - at least from his novels. i too would agree here. still (as you all know) i do NOT agree, that it is a weak novel.

I have to agree with Roni here. you should proably read Pulp last of the novels but that doesn't negate the fact that it's one hell of a book. it is diffrent but by no means bad. oh yeah welcome to the site:)

You're kidding? They are different but Pulp was like he was doing whatever he wanted and having fun with it. I think it was not characteristic of the way Charles Bukowski wrote. It is a common opinion of many readers of Bukowski, being as how I am a novice, I even know that. But to each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back