What did Buk make? (1 Viewer)

Yes he was paid and yes he cared about being paid for his work/art.

It started out as $100 a month for life in 1971 (or was it late 1970?) and grew over time to become quite a sum.

Bill

Speaking of Bukowski and money..........there's possibly thousands of references in his work regarding skid row and being broke although I think this is somewhat exaggerated. He apparently sold his parents' place for $15,000 in the early? 60's. That was a tidy sum of money in those days

It started out as $100 a month for life in 1971 (or was it late 1970?) and grew over time to become quite a sum.

It was the start of 1970.
According to Sounes (p.231) the sum went to 7,000.- USD a month in the end. (additional payment for book-sales NOT included.)

The agreement wasn't actually for $100 a month, but rather one quarter of Martin's income per month. It just so happened that Martin's income was $400 a month when they struck the deal.

Sounes states (p. 101), that they worked out how much Buk needed to go on and that it only HAPPENED to be a quarter of Martins income. But I wasn't around so I dunno.

That's how I read it too.

But to your original question - I believe Bukowski did get "just compensation" for his work - because I've read sooo many letters from Buk, discussing financials with John Martin. (the 3 BSP letters books)
He was aware of the deals going on and displayed real diligence in pursuing the rewards.
I think he was on top of things.
And he must have been one of the worlds most highly paid poets, surely.
I mean... what's the competition?!

I heard, years ago, that Diane Wakoski (spelling?) was one of the few poets in America who was making a living from writing, besides Bukowski. He was very concerned with money, his income, his bank account. Not quite living on the edge in that respect.

Sounes states (p. 101), that they worked out how much Buk needed to go on and that it only HAPPENED to be a quarter of Martins income. But I wasn't around so I dunno.

That's how I read it too.
I got the 25% figure from something Martin said himself. If I can find the source I'll drop it in here.

But like most Bukowski stories, this one was told in many different flavors, by Bukowski, Martin and everyone else. Including us now, I suppose.

like most Bukowski stories, this one was told in many different flavors...
True.
Only I'd guess, Buk's expenses would make a more valid point in finding 'the sum' to quit his job, than Martin's income.
Anyway ...
Looking forward to your source.
If there's ANYTHING in question, You are THE MAN, babe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back