Where the hell is FLY LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL (1 Viewer)

Ponder

"So fuck Doubleday Doran"
RIP
# We have one letter posted by cirerita; https://bukowskiforum.com/threads/1966-letter-to-harold-norse-bukowski-the-clairvoyant.2242/

# "Published", (not published), in 2002 by Thunder's Mouth Press.

# the ISBN number is known.

# But when he started corresponding with Norse in 1963, he was a remarkably humble and suppliant writer searching for a mentor. "Fucker," Bukowski wrote Norse in one early missive, "you might at least send me a couple of your books (free and autographed) for me to percuss peruse abuse abound in; I don't read anymore unless they ship it to me free. ... I liked your poem inOutsider, right on the nipple, baby, and I see you've been around -- Evergreen Review, Poetry, etc. I cannot make these golden outhouses of culture and have long since given up."

It is this correspondence -- over 200 pages of it, across 25 years -- that Norse believes will resurrect his good name, even if he says chest-beating isn't in his nature. The manuscript, titled Fly Like a Bat Out of Hell, is now in the hands of his London agent, whom Norse routinely and steadfastly refuses to name for fear of jinxing any possible deal. For the preface to the book, which he has been slaving over, he says, "I wanted to avoid, strenuously, any self-congratulation. It just happened. It's facts. It's there. I mention all this because this is the first possible opportunity -- he's world famous -- where at last they'll say, "Who is this guy?' And I want my books ready, so they can see who I am."

http://www.sfweekly.com/2000-11-08/news/the-return-of-the-bastard-angel/4/

Yeah, where is it?

And there are others, which would be interesting:

Bukowski-Richmond
Bukowski-Wantling
Bukowski-Barbara Fry(e) :wb:

I own one of only 2 copies that are in existence. The other is in a library catalog. They are correspondence from both writers. -- not just the Buk letters. It was published under a different title that I'm too tired to find tonight. By published, I mean basic comb or xerox type binding with plastic protective cover.. I just haven't had time to do anything with it.

I also have a very similar set of letters between Richmond and Buk that are loose leaf.

I plan to publish them fully as a non- profit at some point, lawyers be dambed if they want to put the screws into me.

History is more important than pennies on the dime for royalties.

There are many drawings here too, so simply transcribing the test is not enough. They need to be reproduced as-is with someone who can do a good job scanning them and enhancing where necessary.

Correction: I think I own one of two copies in existence -- one never knows about these things. Thought I should follow up, so please see the attached very large images that will need to be kicked down to save space. Uou'll see the ubdated title. There are a couple post-1970, but 99.9% are between 1964-1969.

Love to know anything else anybody out there may know.

IMG_20221210_0001.jpg IMG_20221210_0002.jpg IMG_20221210_00067.jpg IMG_20221210_0004.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back