Where's the Golden Horn??? (1 Viewer)

If anyone wants to see those bars, only Smog Cutter and Silver Platter are still there (and Jumbo's Clown Room - wasn't that in that opening montage? I don't see it in the list). The bar they filmed in is gone, the hotel they filmed a lot of stuff in is gone. The apartment by MacArthur park is still there...

Barbet would have had a list (and Polaroids) of every location they scouted and used. There is probably a lot of interesting information in the production materials. Depends on how much of that stuff they saved. In the mid 80s there wasn't an aftermarket for those things like there is now, so a lot of it was just tossed into dumpsters after production.

In the short montage at the end there's a another bar called Firefly.

For sake of completeness, here's a list of the bars in the end credits:

(Golden Horn)
Craby Joe's
Firefly
Boulevard Inn
Ski Room
Catalina

You can actually go IN The Frolic Room on Google Maps.
frolicroom.jpg

Greetings-

As a fan of Charles Bukowski and the film Barfly (and Factotum), I've been directed here via "Where's The Longhorn in Barfly?" I wouldn't doubt some of you have found your way here just the same. Anyway, after reading through some of these, I must say you guys have really done your homework. And had fun doing it, it seems. My favorite sections have to be the bar locations from the opening and closing credits, as well as what seems to be the actual former location or the Longhorn. I was really surprised- I thought this stuff would definitely be lost to history. Lo and behold, I watch Barfly and Factotum last night, and here I am. Happy to have found this, keep up the good work.

Ski room was my favorite bar (hence my handle), became Rajis at some point in the early 90's. Boulevard Inn was between Vermont and Normandie, if I remember. Another great bar was The Gaslight, hidden off Cosmo Lane in Hollywood. Boardners was another legendary bar. Too many.... spent way too much time in them.

Never heard of S&S before, but I googled the show and read this hilarious trivia:
A running gag throughout the series was that whenever Lamont threatened to move out or whenever things did not go Fred's way, Fred would clutch his chest and fake having a heart attack, shouting out variations of "Hear that Elizabeth? I'm coming to join you honey!", yet in each and every instance, no one would fall for his ruse. Ironically, this running gag would years later be blamed for Redd Foxx's death (from a real heart attack) in 1991, during filming of the series The Royal Family (1991), where no one took his legitimate complaints of chest pains seriously until it was too late to save his life.

Same thing happened to Dick Shawn (LSD from the Producers). He collapsed onstage at a performance and
laid (lay?) there for apparently several minutes before they realized it wasn't part of the act. He died, of course.
Now go to bed children, for soon Santa will be here.

Good day-

I found a few other mentions of both Adams Hotel and Big Ed's, the more well-documented of the two findings being an episode of "Hunter." I found this particular episode on Youtube, but the quality is shit, but that's alright because someone documented the entire episode on a Tumblr account:

I also checked a few sources for old layouts of this specific block, but that was also choppy. Oh well!

Also this episode:

This episode on Youtube is much better quality than the one above, and also has a nice walk around the building, as well as a view of the front! Plus, there is some footage of what is probably the same back alley from the Henry/Eddie fights, although it isn't recognizable in correlation to the movie scenes. Bonus anyway, fuck it

[Dead video link.]

Cheers

big ed's.jpg

I watched the first 45 minutes or so of Barfly last night with Barbet Schroeder's commentary turned on, and he said the Golden Horn was a real bar in downtown L.A. but the building was torn down years ago to make room for something new. So I guess there's no finding it now.
The Golden Horn bar scenes were all filmed at Big Ed's, which my late in-laws Ed and Phyllis Schwartz owned, with my husband as silent partner. Big Ed's was located in Culver City across from Desilu Studios, at the intersection of Washington and Bagley. The building included a hotel on the upper floors and the bar was on the ground floor. Ultimately the building was condemned and scheduled to be torn down, but before demolition, transients living there started a big fire that caused major damage to the structure which hastened its demise. This happened about 6-8 weeks after Big Ed's had closed. My hubby has a couple photos of the exterior facade with scorch marks from the fire. The LA Times archives also mentions the decision to raze the building in a couple articles I found. It's a parking lot now, and I always think of the Joni Mitchell song that mourned the paving of paradise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back