who is Carson McCullers? (1 Viewer)

rubyred. get The Heart is a Lonely Hunter and read it. and read it again.
yes, she's a real person (was), and one of the greatest writers from the American South.
she liked her booze, also.

Heartfelt Writer

i just read the poem, is this a real person?

Yes... McCullers is famous for writing her classic novel"”
and one that Bukowski admired"”The Heart Is A Lonely
Hunter
, set in the magic of the US South. Like Virginia
Woolf, who I also happen to admire, Carson wrote despite
her chronic and severe health problems"”she had numerous
strokes starting at an early age"”and both writers died before
their time but not without leaving behind some enduring works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_McCullers

"”pt

Last edited by a moderator:
rubyred ,

i suggest "ballad of the sad cafe" - a strange sweet novella, prose poem (?) to the other side. she was also a beautiful woman. enjoy!

paul

rubyred. get The Heart is a Lonely Hunter and read it. and read it again.
yes, she's a real person (was), and one of the greatest writers from the American South.
she liked her booze, also.

It was also made into a movie with Alan Arkin (I believe) years ago. Great movie...

20152.jpg

and "Clock without hands".
This was a great writer. Damn. To think her name might be mistaken for fiction. :(

Indeed! And especially if you're deaf like the protagonist in the story...

Last edited by a moderator:
i found "The Member of the Wedding" at my library, which i started last night. beautiful poetic style - reminds me a little of Truman Capote. bit of a dark edge to it that reminds me of someone else i've read, but can't think who.

so i finished the novel the other day, she's such a fluid writer - really draws you in with her vivid descriptions. i'm normally a very fast reader, but i found myself lingering over this book. i remembered the other novel this reminded me of: Nick Cave's "The Ass Said to the Angel" (not sure if i got the title right). "The Member of the Wedding" has a really dark undertone - i kept expecting really awful things to happen; in Nick Cave's book the darkness is much more explicit, but both novels evoked the same feeling in me.

I'm gonna have to read it again. I saw it at the bookstore the other day and was quite surprised that there was an "Oprahs Book Club" sticker on it.

LOL

i'm almost finished with "Reflections in a Golden Eye", which is pretty good.
oprah actually has good taste in books ;)
she's done John Steinbeck, Anna Karenina, House of Sand and Fog, and quite a few other books. she's a bit of a cock, but she's definitely boosted book sales for some worthy authors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back