Why did Bukowski write 'I Made a Mistake'? (1 Viewer)

I'm doing a project for school on the poem and I was wondering if anyone knew any good sources of info onto why Bukowski wrote the poem? I've looked everywhere online and even library resources but cannot seem to find any sort of analysis or ideas.
Any help would be great,
thnks
_D

The poem is about making a mistake, and regretting it. It's all there in the text. Bukowski was having a fiery relationship with a red haired woman called Pamela. The poem is about doing something that caused her to run out on him and disappear. You can read more about his relationship with her (a fictionalised account at least) in his novel 'Women' where she is referred to as 'Tammie'.

The simple answer to that question is always: because it was there. Many writers conceive of a subject; Buk wrote what came from his fingers for the most part.

The poem is about making a mistake, and regretting it. It's all there in the text. Bukowski was having a fiery relationship with a red haired woman called Pamela. The poem is about doing something that caused her to run out on him and disappear. You can read more about his relationship with her (a fictionalised account at least) in his novel 'Women' where she is referred to as 'Tammie'.

Do you know anywhere on the web that talks more on this relationship?

and I really appreciate the help

In addition to Women, check out the Works Database on the left side of this page and find the book Scarlet from 1976. Note the name of each poem, and you'll find them in Love is a Dog From Hell (1977), which you can find on ebay, most bigger bookstores, or your local library. There is also a series of written notes to her on pages 216-218 of Living on Luck.

You can't find everything on the internet. Sometimes you've got to do it the old fashioned way.

Purple: Are you suggesting there is still value in actual books?

Careful man--you might start a revolution...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back