Will it make my t-shirt? (1 Viewer)

Erik

If u don't know the poetry u don't know Bukowski
Founding member
I thought I'd order a couple of t-shirts with buk-quotes on 'em - for the summer you know.
Thought it would be fun to get a list of suggestions from the forum.
Sort of like Bobbes "ipod" thread.

Rules:
-You get one line/suggestion each.
-Remember to give the source.
-Its gotta fit easily on a t-shirt!

Here's my pick of the moment:
SUNLIGHT HERE I AM!
From the title of the book of interviews.

Any other canididates?:rolleyes:

nice idea.
hard pick.

is three lines too long?
if not:

"humanity!
you Never had it
from the beginning."

(from 'those sons of bitches' in: 'Mockingbird wish me luck', p.86)

designall2.jpg

Source of Quote: PeteM
Source of Door Panel: Father Luke

i would totally get:

my ambition is handicapped by my laziness

on a t-shirt.

just don't wear it to a job interview.

I still love the quote on the poster by Water Row Press with the Crumb drawing -
'A man who can beat the horses
can do anything he makes up his
mind to do.'

Although my favourite is 'My ambition is handicapped by my laziness.'
Wll done Rubyred!!

PBBUK

"he left and I got drunk for three days and three nights. When I sobered up I knew my job was gone."” Factotum

Last edited by a moderator:
1) "It's 4:30 in the morning, it's always 4:30 in the morning."

2) "LSD, yeah, the big parade - everybody's doin' it now. Take LSD, then you are a poet, an intellectual. What a sick mob. I am building a machine gun in my closet now to take out as many of them as I can before they get me. "

3) "Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

4) "Slouching Towards Nirvana"

I bet you could fit the second one on if you use small lettering.

"When the spirit wanes the form appears"

Recently got that permanently inked down my side.

-Can't wait to here the shit I'll get for that

Or,

"for each Joan of Arc, there is a Hitler perched at the other end of the teeter-totter"
-factotum

"When the spirit wanes the form appears"

Recently got that permanently inked down my side.

-Can't wait to here the shit I'll get for that

Hope your tattoo says

As the spirit wanes, the form appears.

Otherwise, you might get some. Welcome.

o man that is really funny, and then he goes on to say that he's been thinking about those words alot latley, somebody should send him the right quote before he waste too much time thinking.... Naw, nevermind....

You got it. I expect no reply.

We'll see. I was polite and just pointed out that the book title and poem was wrong and that on a 7 word poem, getting only 3 of the words correct (including "the") kinda ruins the poem.

Bill

You got it. I expect no reply.
no reply, of course. Seems that this journalism major does not know how to check a fact or two or to issue a correction. Frankly it would be easier to just have the article changed to reflect the true poem so that they did not look like such an amateur.

I guess that they don;t take their craft all that seriously.

Bill

I suspected as much. It's easier to ignore the mistake and hope the Buk nuts will forget about it since the vast majority of the readers don't know the poem anyway. That's ethics in journalism for you!

It would be fun though if we all send him a mail. :eek::D

yes. it would be funny. Each e-mail would tell him that he needs to do a little bit of research in the future. It is people like this that keep insisting that Mr. Rogers was a convicted pedophile and had tats that he got while at Iwo Jima in WWII. Instead of doingf just a little research they pass these hoaxes on and because of ignorance they make the rounds for years.

As a "journalist" he should be very embarassed that he could not even get a 7 word poem right and screwed up over half of the words, when it would have taken 2 minutes to google it.

Sad, really.

Bill

Perhaps Barfly

"I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there."

I just can't remember where it's from, tho...

That sounds like a Bukowski line via Mickey Rourke from Barfly when he's hanging out with Tully after she cashed her publishing check for him... something like that. I'm sure one of the excellent Buk scholars 'around these here parts' can verify its likely source.

Poptop

As a "journalist" he should be very embarassed that he could not even get a 7 word poem right and screwed up over half of the words, when it would have taken 2 minutes to google it.
Not to mention that he ends with: 'He says on the first page of "Last Night of the Earth Poems," describing what I believe is his experience of sitting at his desk, typing on his old typewriter when he's really in the zone: "My wrists are rivers. My fingers are words."'

Yet most of the poems for The Last Night... were likely written from mid 1990-mid 1991, either on his selectric or Apple Macintosh (from Jan 91 on).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back