"Women" is my recommendation for these tough times... (1 Viewer)

nervas

more crickets than friends
Reading Bukowski while depressed led me to crack open "Women" for the 9th time. Thanks Purple Stickpin for the suggestion. I was thinking of grabbing "Burning In Water..." but on P.S. recommendation thought I'd re-read "Women." I can't tell you how quickly it lifted me up, out of a state of just lounging around the damn couch. So I thought I'd post this here, in case anyone new to Buk was wondering where to start. I have given other suggestions before, but really think, if ya need a good pick me up, grab "Women" and have at it! I was surprised at how fast I got through it, I finished it in 4 days!

I had totally forgotten that one of my fave buk poems of all time is also in "Women." The name escapes me at this moment, but it's the one where Buk is visiting a woman, and Linda King comes by, smashes all his beer on the ground, leaves then turns around and comes flying by trying to run him over in "the thing." I laugh hysterically every time I read the part where the other woman says something like, "jesus, go with her Chinaski, before she kills everyone!" And so Buk leaves with Linda, in silence! The poem is in "Buring In Water..." and orginally I forget from what book of poems. But the story is in "Women." CLASSIC!

Ok well now I sit and wait for "the Continual Condition" to arrive. Good or bad, it's always nice to receive a new Buk book in the mail!

Yeah, it just sounds way too real to have ever been imagined. I love the vision of Buk slowly sweeping up all the broken glass and then jumping out of the way when Linda came flying by trying to run him over!

Ham on Rye was my first read and it was the perfect book for me to start on because I got to know the man first, through his work. I felt that was important and I identified with him and his childhood. Had I not read that first, I don't know if I would be the fan I am today.

My next read was Women, then Love is a Dog From Hell, but I would replace the third with South of No North, then a book of poems.

Yeah I read "Ham On Rye" early. It was the second book I read from Buk. My first was "Love Is A Dog..." but I certainly agree, reading "Ham On Rye" early works wonders for getting to the root/foundation of Bukowski.

Reading Bukowski while depressed led me to crack open "Women" for the 9th time. Thanks Purple Stickpin for the suggestion. I was thinking of grabbing "Burning In Water..." but on P.S. recommendation thought I'd re-read "Women." I can't tell you how quickly it lifted me up, out of a state of just lounging around the damn couch.

Please let me know where to send my invoice. ;)

Glad you're back on your mind's feet, as it were.

Ha. Yeah, it was a great recommendation for sure. Guess, I'll wait now for The Continual Condition to arrive this coming week.

Ham on Rye was my first read and it was the perfect book for me to start on because I got to know the man first, through his work. I felt that was important and I identified with him and his childhood. Had I not read that first, I don't know if I would be the fan I am today.

My next read was Women, then Love is a Dog From Hell, but I would replace the third with South of No North, then a book of poems.

I was the same and have to agree, I don't think I would be a fan if I read "Women" first.

Men, I guess, needs to be written.
Women is a great novel. My boyfriend did ask me how I felt reading the book.
All I could come up with, is that I could relate to Buk, and that i thought that I had read the novel from a man's point of view. I suppose that I laughed at myself, and thought of women as love weavers, life weavers...
I do not see that as a negative (as in photographic linguo), but rather as a yet, unanswered question.
Oh my gawd, what am i saying? ;)
Please don't send me to the pothead thread.

Women, was my first Buk book. I had no idea what to expect, or what I was getting my self in to.The decision to accept Buk in to my life, will go down in history!

Every Bukowski book/collection I have read so far has that effect on me - I swear. In an instant his straight forward message and simplistic way with words (& humour) wipes away all that bullshit, trivial, nonesense that clogs up this human existence everywhere you turn. The stuff that when you're guard is down can easily cast the blues on you again.

Today I have been having one of the days, when you get caught up into the endless pointless thoughts/feelings, and that big empty feeling when everything seems worthless and lifeless....well, I picked up War All The Time (my most recent Buk purchase) and I swear I'm feeling that glow of life returning again already.

Isn't it great to have found someone who can do that to you?

Men, I guess, needs to be written.

In a way "Women" is about men too, with Buk representing the male species. A lot of men would probably act like Buk did under similar circumstances.

I'm hammered. Pretty sure I shouldn't post anything but fuck it.

Just got back from a cancer-a-thon called St. Baldrick's, where you shave your head to show support and raise funds, at Finnigan's Wake, an Irish bar...well, faux Irish...Anyway my boss was there and she bought a shitload of beer.

But I already have a shaved head. My girlfriend shaved hers, though.

I mean my boyfriend.

Belch.

Why was I unbanned?

Oh, yay, it's thebicycletragedy and awshucks.

Why was I unbanned?
I removed the banned IPs on the assumption that no one could possibly be desperate enough to come here every day for months, only to see nothing. I figured after a few days they would get the message.

I see my assumption did not take the truly disturbed into account. My mistake. It's an easy fix though.

He can't now. His IPs are banned again.

So he will come back here every day, day after day, for months, able to see nothing. But he'll still come back every day. Maybe several times every day. Able to view nothing.

He will do that for as long as the IPs are blocked. If I unblock them in 6 months or 6 years, he will post the day they are unblocked. That's how obsessed he is. That is his own peculiar mental illness.

I'm thinking this guy might even puppeteer a friend somewhere in another county to get back on here!!

If I unblock them in 6 months or 6 years, he will post the day they are unblocked. That's how obsessed he is. That is his own peculiar mental illness.

Right! Obsession is more important than endurance. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back