You are unique, just like everybody else (1 Viewer)

I am new to poetry and literature, but find myself intrigued by the writings of Bukowski. I'm 23, an Iraq veteran, and a fan of the different and the "offbeat". I have read a few short stories and "Notes of a Dirty Old Man". I'm looking forward to getting to know the website and all of you.

Welcome to the forum, Americabre. The last fella I welcomed here guzzled a jug of Charles Shaw and had a nervous breakdown so please keep your shit together.:) And don't go to the music thread and say, Reggae sucks! - that'd be bad. Now go spend your time wisely and read more Buk.

Thank you guys. I'm glad to know that I'm welcome.

@Stavrogin; Don't worry, Richard and his Wild Irish Rose is really more my taste.

@ Ponder; Bukowski is officially on shopping list.

Welcome, yes buy as much buk as you can! Did you ever hear of, or read My War: Killing Time in Iraq by Colby Buzzell? It's one of the best books I've ever read on the war, or any subject really. If not, I highly recommend it and have always wondered of others who were actually there and their opinion on it.

Wow, I was just reading the publishers weekly(whatever that means) review on amazon where it says this: "this book is actually more engrossing as a portrait of the day-to-day life of a young American soldier who has "read, and re-read, countless times, every single one of [Bukowski's] books." Like Bukowski, Buzzell appears to be a sentimental misanthrope"

I read the book back in 2005-2006, and actually didn't remember the buk reference. But according to that review, somewhere in the book, he must have mentioned being a big Bukowski fan. I remember picking it up after hearing Henry Rollins rave on and on about it.

The book, started as a blog, and is basically Colby's prose. Anyway, found that Bukowski comment interesting. All in all, a good book for sure.

Welcome to the forum. All of Bukowski's writing is great, but I would definitely recommend his poetry. Try "Burning In Water/Drowning In Flame" or "Dangling In The Tournefortia". Also, his letters and correspondence are amazing too.

Thank you for your service. And welcome home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back