90 minutes in hell, 70 minutes in hell (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
Does anyone know the track list for 90 minutes? It's listed in a lot of places on line but they all have mistakes and even when you "fix" those mistakes it looks like the same track list as 70 minutes in hell. In fact 70 minutes has 20 tracks where 90 minutes only appears to have 17 or 18.

I don't have a recording of 90 minutes and I don't have the 70 minutes CD, but everything I can find leads me to believe they are the same recordings, regardless of the 20 minute difference in titles.

after 'men in the sun' he does one that's not listed - something like 'sing to gods and kangaroos' - something about nuns with yellow teeth dancing

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Not likely to be much better than the info you have already, but this is my track list expanded from an old mp3 rip that I believe was made from the 90 Minutes in Hell vinyl (some tracks run longer on the vinyl rip, featuring a little additional rambling that was cut from the pressed 70 Minutes CD, while the recording sounds like it was slowed slightly for the CD release):

(Probable) 90 Minutes In Hell Tracklist

1. Buffalo Bill
  2. A Little Atomic Bomb
  3. (The Hairy Hairy Fist) The Hairy Hairy Fist, And Love Will Die
  4. An Action Afternoon
  5. Finish
  6. No Charge
  7. Love Is A Piece Of Paper Torn To Bits
    Something For The Touts, The Nuns, The Grocery Clerks And You
  8. Song For Sadists Without A Place To Sit Down
  9. The Genius Of The Crowd
  10. (Their Finest Art) Farewell, Foolish Objects
  11. Experience
  12. May Make Paris Yet
  13. Man In The Sun
    Sing To Gods Or Kangaroos
  14. The Japanese Wife
    The Curtains Are Waving And People Walk Through The Afternoon Here And In Berlin And In New York City And In Mexico
  15. Freedom
  16. True Story
  17. (The Report) A Report Upon The Consumption Of Myself

Some of the poems run into each other leading to a few being missed from the track list.

I have transcribed the track referred to as 'May Make Paris Yet', haven't found the poem elsewhere:

"We left off 'I may make Paris yet', big deal. Next stanza begins something like this:

'and I will send you a great sealed letter
with a black scrawl at the bottom
thick and demented
I will play famous and you will smile
now I see some orange roses
this is good
this is good
there's no shock for me in
orange roses
not today
if they ever stick out of my vest
or a cup
it will be the same
I see smoke out of my window
time to quit
it may be fire' "

'Sing To Gods Or Kangaroos' and 'The Curtains Are Waving And People Walk Through The Afternoon Here And In Berlin And In New York City And In Mexico' are both on the Chinaski Records CD also, in the order as above.

Thanks you guys, that will work.

I still sort of regret not buying those original 90 minutes tapes at auction a few years ago. They went pretty cheaply as I recall, under $500...

Yeah, I don't want to rely on discogs.com. That site is about as reliable as a lyrics site or Wikipedia. Which is to say I find a lot of errors on there.

Unless someone who owns the LP wants to chime in with a track list I'm going to assume the CD and LP are the same, with the LP having more non-poem chatter included.

I like the site.
However, it's understandable and it would be good to see a photo of the back of the album, I don't know if anyone will turn up on here with that. Youtube have a 17 track audio of the album too, can't think of plausible reason why the person who posted them all (individually!) would alter or omit tracks, but perhaps these have already been seen,if so - sorry.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4E17997DBABD8436

I don't think the cover (or the labels) have the track information. So someone who's heard it would have to comment.

Okay, 90 minutes and 70 minutes are in the database now, and I think we have the differences between them down correctly.

The only thing that's odd is the inclusion of At The End Of Feet The Blackbird Walks on 70 minutes when apparently it wasn't on 90 minutes...

I have the oppurtunity to buy a fine copy of the 90 minutes in hell vinyl album at £120 pouns or so, I think that is a good price? but would appreciate advice.

Hi there, this is my first post. Longtime fan/collector. I have always been wondering about the different tracklists for 90 Minutes In Hell that you find online. Furthermore some of the circulating CDs/files of the poems were released at the wrong speed, which lead to confusing information about running time. I do not have the original vinyl, but this year I got a file that purports to be a reconstruction of the vinyl. It has these tracks:

Side One:
1. Buffalo Bill 03:02
2. A Little Atomic Bomb 01:32
3. The Hairy, Hairy Fist 05:12
4. An Action Afternoon 02:44
5. Finish 03:03
6. No Charge 00:46
Side Two:
7. Love Is A Piece Of Paper Torn To Bits 00:53
8. Something For The Touts, The Nuns, The Grocery Clerks And You 08:43
9. Song For Sadists Without A Place To Sit Down 02:00
10. The Genius Of The Crowd 04:02
11. Farewell, Foolish Objects 04:56
12. Experience 03:07
13. At The End Of Feet The Blackbird Walks 04:40
Side Three:
14. I May Make Paris Yet 01:13
15. Man In The Sun and Sing To Gods Or Kangaroos 05:49
16. The Japaneses Wife 02:47
17. The Curtains Are Waving 04:53
18. Freedom 03:13
19. True Story 03:40
Side Four:
20. A Report On The Consumption of Myself 03:17
21. I Was Born To Hustle Roses Down The Avenues Of The Dead 03:14
22. Cancer 02:29
23. A Short Story 14:02

Total running time 90:13

Any thoughts on this?

I bought the lp too, from James and Mary Laurie Bookshop in Minneapolis ( they were really lovely on the phone) all in paid £140 or so with postage, haven't had the chance to listen to it yet only arrived 4 days ago and I don't have a record player yet, which is ridiculous, I have been buying albums mostly for the covers, the albums are secondary. But I was very curious to get this solved:). It's in very good condition.

Skygazer,
Send me your address. I'll ship my turn table over to you. I don't use it much. Hardy-Har-Har!

But seriously folks I would love to have something that rare and special. I need to hit the lottery so I can keep up with ya'll.

Skygazer,
Send me your address. I'll ship my turn table over to you. I don't use it much. Hardy-Har-Har!
If I was bad, or very good, not sure which it is, I'd call your bluff on that Danny Mac:rolleyes:. But I'll start looking into getting a reconditioned one.

Who cares about a detail like a record player. It is to be found somewhere, but such an LP isn't.
Thanks Andreas:)
In the meantime, either I can take it round to my friends to listen to, but Bukowski isn't everyone's cup of tea is he? it's long and if there's a bit of effing and blinding in it (and who could blame him,he'd just had his haemorrhoid surgery, was sore and recorded the whole thing lying flat, from side to side on the living room floor, speaking into a borrowed tape recorder, thinking there was a deadline - that fizzled out).
Best option will be to take it to a local place that does transfers to disc.If anyone would like a copy, I'd be happy to get a few copies, not looking for money, it won't be that much. Send a PM.

Have had a suggestion to upload the disc to a file sharing site, that sounds like a good option not sure how it works.
If it's not infringing copyright?

I just bought a copy of the LP.
It arrived this morning, all minty fresh and clean (you know, except for the brittle, yellowed inner sleeves, which I've already replaced). Otherwise, ridiculously pristine condition. I guess it didn't get played as much as Foghat or Seals & Crofts. If it got played at all.

I'll record it this weekend, and write up the (actual, verified) track list.

Well I can see why there's been some confusion around this. Two poems are split across sides, and a few of the poems are not in Black Sparrow books, so it wouldn't have been easy to find titles and know what's going on (for example, "No Hole In The Sky" never appeared in a book, only in Wormwood).

Anyway, here is what's actually on the vinyl:

Buffalo Bill
A Little Atomic Bomb
The Hairy Hairy Fist, And Love Will Die
An Action Afternoon
Finish
No Charge
Love Is A Piece Of Paper Torn To Bits

Song For Sadists Without A Place To Sit Down
The Genius Of The Crowd
Farewell, Foolish Objects
Experience
At The End Of Feet The Blackbird Walks

At The End Of Feet The Blackbird Walks ("I may make Paris yet" is a line in the poem, not a separate poem)
Man In The Sun
Sing To Gods Or Kangaroos (then talks about what the neighbors are doing for over a minute)
The Japanese Wife
The Curtains Are Waving And People Walk Through The Afternoon Here And In Berlin And In New York City And In Mexico
Freedom (then talks about how much he hated Will Rogers)
True Story
No Lady Godiva

A Report Upon The Consumption Of Myself
I Was Born To Hustle Roses Down The Avenues Of The Dead
No Hole In The Sky
The Little Tailor (actually an untitled story from Notes of a Dirty Old Man)

I wondered about the 1966 recording date on this for a minute, since some of the poems and the short story were published after 1966:

1967 An Action Afternoon
1967 The Curtains Are Waving
1968 No Hole In The Sky
1968? The Little Tailor​

I'm assuming they could have been read from manuscripts and were accepted for publication long before they were actually published. They aren't far enough from 1966 to really question the recording date, but I thought I'd mention it here.

I'm glad that Richmond put it out, but it's odd that they used a 10 or 11 year old tape in 1977 when he was writing so many new poems at the time. Then again, we don't have any home recordings from the 70s. I assume that's because he was doing live readings and tape was always rolling at those things.

As Bukowski says at the very end of the LP, "Creep your strepos and go to hell!"

No Hole In The Sky
The Little Tailor (actually an untitled story from Notes of a Dirty Old Man)

Those four tracks are on the "Solid Citizen" CD. They are listed as a group after the Hamburg reading called "Home Recording 1969". The titles are as follows:

Cancer
A Short Story

While the last two titles differs from the ones on the LP I suspect they're still are the same ones.

That's good the 90 Minutes puzzle is solved. :)
Was day off yesterday, took the albums into Glagow to be transferred to cd, but forgot to write down the address or name of the place, found it eventually! thanks to the kidness of a couple of waiters in an Italian restaurant, who looked it up on the internet.
I've put it onto windows media player to rip, which was fine but can't think of a way to convert it to files I can send, think it's too big. So I have just done a few copies more onto cd's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back