a painting in 'Bukowski-style', eh? (1 Viewer)

There's a painting by artist Mike Kelley, that immediately reminded me of some Bukowskis:

018803.jpg

of course, Buk wouldn't paint the eyes like these.
More like so:

bukowskipainting060.jpg

I know it's not very nice to say anything bad about someone who has recently died. Especially a suicide, but I have always disliked Kelley. Hank's painting is so far superior to his.

I don't know anything about this guy. Didn't even know, he was dead. I just stepped over the painting and immediately thought of Hank.

It is indeed very reminiscent of a Bukowski painting. So much so, in fact, that I have to think it may have been "inspired" by a Bukowski painting.

Which goes to show one of two things; either Bukowski should have been recognized as a fine artist, or Kelly should not have been.

It's like he was copying a Buk painting but then "improved" it for popular consumption by adding those eyes (which look like they need some Visine). I know squat about Mike Kelley, but the eyes seem like a gimmick to me.

Maybe he got the eyes from the German outsider artist, August Natterer: Mein Augen zur Zeit der Erscheinungen. "My eyes at the moment of the apparitions." But who influenced the smile?

(i couldn't seem to transfer/download/upload/ship the image to here otherwise i would 'ave. ok.)

Yes, they are very similar to the eyes of that German painter. In a photo I found, his eyes are hanging on a wall all by themselves, and not plunked into a another painting. That seems to work better.

And speaking of paintings of eyes, I hear a film is being made about one of my favorite wacky artists, Margaret Keane, she of the big eyed children, with Kate Hudson playing MK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back