Bands that drop Bukowski's name or reference his work... (1 Viewer)

I saw some band has a CD entitled Bone Palace Ballet out soon. I don't recall the artist, but they sounded whiney on the commercial.

it's funny that people who don't even really read much, let alone poetry, will have read bukowski and been influenced by him.

Not Quite Bernadette band?

I was just Googling to see if an illustrated edition of "Not Quite Bernadette" existed, since I seem to remember there was such an edition, and I found the edition as well as a band which goes by the name "Not Quite Bernadette" and which appears to use the logo of Hot Water Music. Has anyone heard of them, or perhpas this was the subject of an earlier thread?

Here's one site's list of Sir Charles referenced in songs.

For the entire site, go to New World Encyclopedia(TM): http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Charles_Bukowski

(They have an interesting slogan: "Organizing knowledge for happiness, prosperity, and world peace."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Directly lifted from the site:

In popular culture

Several bands have made reference to Bukowski in their songs. The list includes:

Anthrax
The Ataris
Black Flag
Buck 66
Jon Bon Jovi
Chiodos
The Fall
Hot Water Music
Jawbreaker
Jehst
Modest Mouse
Propagandhi
A Radio With Guts
Razorlight
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Sage Francis
Senses Fail
Thursday
Tom Waits
U2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please note at the site, there are no links to these bands, or the songs, etc.

Pax

http://www.myspace.com/bukowski666

I had put that link in another thread but this one is more appropriate. It is a french unknown band I discovered one day I was looking for websites about Hank on google.

(Moreover, I just remember that the young couple in Alexandre Aja's Hills have eyes is named Bukowski, whereas in Wes Craven's film, they are named Doug and Lynne Wood.)

Last edited by a moderator:
thursday may have released an album called "War All The Time"( I don't know the band or the album), but Oakland's legendary hardcore punks Poison Idea were the first to do so. They released the lp "War All The Time" at the end of the eighties on Alchemy Records. Killer lp!

But they're from Portland, sorry about my Alzheimer.

Did anyone mention this old Boo Radleys version (I seem to remember it being written by someone else...a solo guy from Austin)Whammo? perhaps

This is an excerpt from the 311 song Salsa... compare it to Bukowski's style and, in particular, his poem The Race:

Another tale of ordinary madness
[...]

[Nah, no thanks. Post it on the 311 forum. - ed.]

Hey, blame ed.

He just told me that if you think there is anything in common between those cliched kiddie-boy "hard living tough guy" lyrics and any of Bukowski's writing, you are dumber than you seem. I think that's a little harsh, but ed doesn't pull punches.

I would agree with harsh bordering on purist/ignorant. Sorry that 311 isn't Bach or Beethoven or another long dead Bukowski preference but the post fit the thread. Let the people read. Or not read.

Thanks for the censorship, dick.

I always appreciate a man who tries to find the rich in richard. Especially the one who ultimately goes down that path to find: DICK.

A good, hard word: see erection.

A political word: see Nixon.

And finally, a limp word: see your post.

(Since you are four posts into this world, you may want to surf a bit, as the waves are pretty cool.)

I would agree with harsh bordering on purist/ignorant.
I just got a call from ed, and was was wondering how it could be considered ignorant to point out that some limp rock band's lyrics are nothing at all like Bukowski's writing, and that you are an idiot if you believe they are.

I think it's a fair question that ed asks, but I wonder if you're too wound up and angsty to answer it. I worry about you.

I just got a call from ed, and was was wondering how it could be considered ignorant to point out that some limp rock band's lyrics are nothing at all like Bukowski's writing, and that you are an idiot if you believe they are.

I think it's a fair question that ed asks, but I wonder if you're too wound up and angsty to answer it. I worry about you.

Ignorant to deny, edit/delete how a specific band dropped Bukowski's name or reference his stuff because they have a vendetta against 311 or to what you call "kiddie rock". If they didn't "reference his stuff" then I must obviously be as wrong as you claim me to be... Messengers don't like being shot...

Sorry for being an idiot, angsty and worrisome for you. I'll try harder next time, mommy dearest.

(Since you are four posts into this world, you may want to surf a bit, as the waves are pretty cool.)

Internet insights can be greater than or equal to post counts.

I've always liked this forum and hope you'll all still have me.

sorry Ambreen im confused. there is a Nick cave n the bs song with a buk ref. i cant think of the name but the line is ''bukowski was a jerk..'' weird story; i had received a gift card for borders and picked up ''dig lazarus dig'' and on my way out spotted the docu ""born into this'' which i had to pay for with real money. when i got home and heard the line, after drinkin some beer and smokin some pot i was pleasantly shocked. at the coincidence of course

Hey Mikeypants. I believe that Nick Cave song is "We Call Upon The Author." Its actually discussed at great length in another thread somewhere in this forum, I just can't remember where. I also cant tell if it's a Buk insult, or just a line in a song. I am a big fan of both Buk and Cave, so hopefully not meant as an insult, but whatever, I still like them both.

Yeah nervas, i think that's right. I doubt it was an insult. I like buk but he sure comes off like a jerk sometimes. He'd probably think it was a compliment.

is that the song on ''Dig Lazarus Dig!!!''? ...he brings me a book on holocaust poetry and tells me to get ready for the rain...thanks doug
If he's "another unknown frenchie", he couldn't be Nick Cave ! :D

Nervas is right, the song is We call upon the author.

It has been discussed here : https://bukowskiforum.com/showthread.php?t=5069&page=2

You can listen to it again here : ttp://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=212434537

I like buk but he sure comes off like a jerk sometimes. He'd probably think it was a compliment.
I believe he wouldn't even give a damm.

http://www.myspace.com/kidbombardos

I saw them yesterday as a supporting band. I thought it was an umpteenth Myspace band when they came on stage, was expecting to get bored as I often do when hearing a supporting band but these kids turned out to be a very good surprise, I even happened to find their set too short ! They seduced me with their music reminding me of the Strokes. While looking at their Myspace to know more about them, I had another surprise : a famous picture of Bukowski in their "Influences" section. Definitely good kids !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Axl Bukowski.jpg

and I thought I knew soo much about gnr, don't ever remember that shot! nice one though, especially after reading Scarlett.

A long time ago, I saw a vid of the gig during which Axl Rose wore that tee-shirt on Youtube; he was performing Mr. Brownstone. I don't find it anymore now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back