Barfly DVD with Schroeder commentary (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
I have the Barfly DVD with the Barbet Schroeder commentary audio track but I've never actually taken the time to listen to it...has anyone else?

I suppose I'll have to do it now that's its crossed my mind just so I can see what's on there.

where did you get it mjp? I've seen them on ebay and all of them go for like forty to fifty bucks. I guess I'll have to splurg and go ahead and pay the cash for it but I was kinda waiting to see if it would come down a bit. WHATCH THAT MAN. I'm sure it's great.

It's the official Warner Brothers U.S. release from a few years ago. It's expensive now on the secondary market because it went out of print really quickly. I guess the big studios don't manufacture many copies of their "cult" titles.

If you can find it on ebay I guess you have to just bite the bullet and pay the price. It's unlikely there will be another official release.

At least on DVD. Who knows what they'll come up with next to re-release everything on and pick our pockets again...

I've seen a Greek copy selling several times on ebay recently that has the same cover as the US Warner one, but it doesn't say if it has the commentary or the Buk Tapes excerpts etc.

You can still get an Australian region 4 copy, but it will probably be PAL format.

I suppose that the Greek one might be PAL too, so maybe no good for US TVs?

I've seen that Greek one too, I have no idea what region that's for. But I'd assume if it's a legit release and not a bootleg it would have the commentary.

The norwegian film institute sells a zone1 (USA) version of Barfly listing the following extra material:

Sone-1!
Commentary by director Barbet Schroeder
Documentary I drink, I gamble and I write: The making of Barfly
Excerpts from Schroeder's The Charles Bukowski tapes
Interactive Menus
Theatrical trailer
Cast/ Director/ Writer Film/ Literary Highlights
Scene access

The film is not in stock. Have a look herhttp://www.nfi.no/filmbutikken/tittel.html?id=11590
and here: http://www.nfi.no/english/

I have the Barfly DVD with the Barbet Schroeder commentary audio track but I've never actually taken the time to listen to it...has anyone else?

I suppose I'll have to do it now that's its crossed my mind just so I can see what's on there.

after reading this post
i looked at my copy's cover
for the first time in a long time
yeah!!!
i too will finally take
time to listen to it

i'll let you know
thanks for the headzup

wow
i didn't expect a commentary
dubbed over the entire film
very cool
seems schroeder did his best
to be true to bukowski's screenplay
and went to great length
to find ideal locations, cast, and crew
to make his dream of working with bukowski
a success

45915503.jpg

Good god, why do you write everything like its a poem? Another kid who thinks if he puts everything in short lines, its a poem. Quit playing. Be yourself. It's a post to a forum, for Chrissake.

Tim961, most people who hang around in here are characters, oddballs and miscreants, so it's easier if you just accept it and go with the flow.

you forgot nuts and weirdos.

...though,when you are in the flow everything static standing on the bank seems strange,doesnt it?

I think most of us are well past the "kid" stage.
Its OK TIM, I was an ass when I first signed into this group too. Then I learned how little I knew and began appreciatting the differences here.

Timster,

Don't you know
all things flow
according to the whims
of the great magnet?

Sit back,
have a smoke,
and let the world roll on.

Feel the
love in the
room.

SD

P.S. Don't make yourself
old before
your time.
My advice is free,
and worth every penny.

Good god, why do you write everything like its a poem? Another kid who thinks if he puts everything in short lines, its a poem. Quit playing. Be yourself. It's a post to a forum, for Chrissake.

what everybody else said.
but since I've decided
to use line breaks in this post,
does that mean
I too am not being myself?

tim, everything is a poem.

it's not like a poem
you just choose to associate it as such
pardon me if being different offends you
meanwhile

shut_the_fuck_up.bmp

BTW, anybody know something about re-edition of Barfly? On eBay I saw only Russian bootlegs or DVD copy for $70! Amazon is empty. Somewhere on net i read that somebody planning re-edition, that's why i ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back