Born Into This DVD extras (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
ok, this is for us Buk nuts! I'm listing here the extras of both the Australian and the French releases.

Australian version:

* INTRODUCTION - Taylor Hackford takes a walk around the East Hollywood neighbourhood - DeLongpre Street - where Bukowski lived in the early 1970's when TH was filming Buk. Almost 7 minutes
* THE LAUGHING HEART - poem read by Tom Waits, just over 1 min.
* THE BLOOD OF A COWARD - anecdote told by John Martin. 1 min 12 sec
* AN EVENING WITH LINDA KING - anecdote told by John Martin. 2 min 56
* BUKOWSKI'S FATHER - anecdote told by John Martin. 48 secs.
* BUKOWSKI'S MOTHER - anecdote told by John Martin. 1 min 21
* THE CLOWN - anecdote told by John Martin. 40 secs.
* BORN IN BEVERLY HILLS - anecdote told by John Martin. 33 secs.
* A WARM PITCHER OF SPIT - anecdote told by John Martin. 1 min 18
* THE INNOVATOR - anecdote told by John Martin. 2 min 42
* BUKOWSKI'S LEGACY - anecdote told by John Martin. 50 secs.
* FIRST & LAST - a poem Bukowski FAXED to John Martin, read by John Martin 58 secs.
* PLAIN SPOKEN TRUTH - anecdote told by Bono (Paul Hewson) from U2. 1 min 28
* THE TRUTH IS NEVER UGLY TO GOD - anecdote told by Bono (Paul Hewson) from U2. 1 min 15
* BUKOWSKI'S INFLUENCE - anecdote told by Bono (Paul Hewson) from U2. 1 min 4 secs
* THINGS OUGHT TO BE BETTER - anecdote told by Bono (Paul Hewson) from U2. 2 min 2 secs.
* BUKOWSKI'S MESSAGE - anecdote told by Bono (Paul Hewson) from U2. 36 secs.
* "ROLL THE DICE" - poem read by Bono (Paul Hewson) from U2. 1 min 15
* "BLOWING MY HERO" - anecdote told by John Martin. With a poem written and read by Amber O'Neil.
* SIMPLE TRUTH - Linda Bukowski talks about Bukowski, including a glimpse at Hank's writing room. 9 Min 21 secs.
* HOME VIDEO - Home video footage of Hank, filmed at home in February 1992, by Linda. Hank reads several poems to the camera. 13 min 12 secs.

French version:
DVD FEATURES
# DVD 1 Original Fullframe Version
# English audio
# Unremovable French subtitles
# Interviews with John Martin, Bono, Linda Lee Bukowski
# "Return to East Hollywood" Featurette

DVD 2
# "Apostrophe" - French TV show - Interview with Bukowski (English dialogue from Bukowski, but barely audible due to French translation voice over)
# Tom Waits reading of "The Laughing Heart"
# Bono reading of "Roll the Dice"
# Home video footage of Bukowski from 1992 (13 mins) (last known footage of Bukowski before his death)
# "Bukowski in France"
# Reading of "Blowing my Hero" by Amber O'Neil along with interview

All extras in English with unremovable French subtitles unless otherwise noted above

US version:

# DVD Features:

* Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo)
* Commentary by: director John Dullaghan Unknown Format
* Sneak peek at previously unpublished poems & "Dinosauria, We"
* "Born Into This" behind-the-scenes featurette
* Bukowski's final home footage from 1992
* Deleted scene
* Extended interviews with Bono, Linda Lee Bukowski, Taylor Hackford and Publisher John Martin
* Tom Waits and Bono read Bukowski poetry

Last edited by a moderator:
It's odd that the 'extras' are so different in the different regions. Like France - what the fuck? Is France hiding some underground hotbed of Bukowski enthusiasm? I don't understand why they wouldn't put Apostrophes (and everything else) on all of the versions. Who cares if the program is in French. Skip it if you don't like it. It seems like the region 1 (U.S.) version has the skimpiest list of extras. I don't get it.

But really, the documentary alone is well worth the price of admission. The rest of that stuff is secondary. That doesn't mean I don't want your disc of all the other extras cirerita, don't get me wrong. ;)

special features region 1 dvd...

-bukowski's final home footage from '92
-sneak peek at previously unpublished poems (coming in the january '07 ecco book)
-extended interviews w/ bono, linda, hackford(tou of old buk l.a. neighborhoods), and john martin
-tom waits and bono poetry reading
-born into this behind the scenes featurette
-director commentry.

the aussie version looks pretty much the same as region 1, tho the "breakdown" is better.
the french version has a couple of extra things, which are very nice...

yeah, I just watched the extras, and the french version has the apostrophes episode and bukowski in france clip that are different from my region 1 version... christ it's late...

i'm guessing that is this what i referred to as:

INTRODUCTION - Taylor Hackford takes a walk around the East Hollywood neighbourhood - DeLongpre Street - where Bukowski lived in the early 1970's when TH was filming Buk. Almost 7 minutes

otherwise, its not on the australian one (which is one disc)?

return to east hollywood is the intro on the aussie version and the extended interview with hackford on the u.s. version. same thing, different names.
the amber o'neill is on all 3, again called different things. the u.s. version calls it deleted scene.
all of the john martin anecdotes listed in the aussie version are in the u.s. and french versions, just called extended interview with john martin.
it doesn't look like the french or aussie has the behind the scenes featurette.

Charlie said:
There's also a deleted scene with Amber O'Neal in the US version.

man that woman got on my nerves. whats so great about "blowing my hero"?

that just like...people buying stuff from a groupie at a U2 concert just because she gave Bono a bj. Doesnt make sense to me.

I think people are interested in first hand accounts, whether it's a blow job, hanging around, getting spit on, or - as our own mystery girl wrote about - being cat-fought out of Bukowski's apartment by Linda King. They are all pieces of a puzzle.

ok, this is for us Buk nuts! I'm listing here the extras of both the Australian and the French releases.

Australian version:

* INTRODUCTION - Taylor Hackford takes a walk around the East Hollywood neighbourhood - DeLongpre Street - where Bukowski lived in the early 1970's when TH was filming Buk. Almost 7 minutes
* THE LAUGHING HEART - poem read by Tom Waits, just over 1 min.
* THE BLOOD OF A COWARD - anecdote told by John Martin. 1 min 12 sec
* AN EVENING WITH LINDA KING - anecdote told by John Martin. 2 min 56
* BUKOWSKI'S FATHER - anecdote told by John Martin. 48 secs.
* BUKOWSKI'S MOTHER - anecdote told by John Martin. 1 min 21
* THE CLOWN - anecdote told by John Martin. 40 secs.
* BORN IN BEVERLY HILLS - anecdote told by John Martin. 33 secs.
* A WARM PITCHER OF SPIT - anecdote told by John Martin. 1 min 18
* THE INNOVATOR - anecdote told by John Martin. 2 min 42
* BUKOWSKI'S LEGACY - anecdote told by John Martin. 50 secs.
* FIRST & LAST - a poem Bukowski FAXED to John Martin, read by John Martin 58 secs.
* PLAIN SPOKEN TRUTH - anecdote told by Bono (Paul Hewson) from U2. 1 min 28
* THE TRUTH IS NEVER UGLY TO GOD - anecdote told by Bono (Paul Hewson) from U2. 1 min 15
* BUKOWSKI'S INFLUENCE - anecdote told by Bono (Paul Hewson) from U2. 1 min 4 secs
* THINGS OUGHT TO BE BETTER - anecdote told by Bono (Paul Hewson) from U2. 2 min 2 secs.
* BUKOWSKI'S MESSAGE - anecdote told by Bono (Paul Hewson) from U2. 36 secs.
* "ROLL THE DICE" - poem read by Bono (Paul Hewson) from U2. 1 min 15
* "BLOWING MY HERO" - anecdote told by John Martin. With a poem written and read by Amber O'Neil.
* SIMPLE TRUTH - Linda Bukowski talks about Bukowski, including a glimpse at Hank's writing room. 9 Min 21 secs.
* HOME VIDEO - Home video footage of Hank, filmed at home in February 1992, by Linda. Hank reads several poems to the camera. 13 min 12 secs.

French version:
DVD FEATURES
# DVD 1 Original Fullframe Version
# English audio
# Unremovable French subtitles
# Interviews with John Martin, Bono, Linda Lee Bukowski
# "Return to East Hollywood" Featurette

DVD 2
# "Apostrophe" - French TV show - Interview with Bukowski (English dialogue from Bukowski, but barely audible due to French translation voice over)
# Tom Waits reading of "The Laughing Heart"
# Bono reading of "Roll the Dice"
# Home video footage of Bukowski from 1992 (13 mins) (last known footage of Bukowski before his death)
# "Bukowski in France"
# Reading of "Blowing my Hero" by Amber O'Neil along with interview

All extras in English with unremovable French subtitles unless otherwise noted above

US version:

# DVD Features:

* Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo)
* Commentary by: director John Dullaghan Unknown Format
* Sneak peek at previously unpublished poems & "Dinosauria, We"
* "Born Into This" behind-the-scenes featurette
* Bukowski's final home footage from 1992
* Deleted scene
* Extended interviews with Bono, Linda Lee Bukowski, Taylor Hackford and Publisher John Martin
* Tom Waits and Bono read Bukowski poetry

I've had the Aus version since early 2006 (not sure when it was released here) and only recently discovered all the extra bits on the dvd. What a pleasant surprise and what a doofus :)

p.s. The Laughing Heart is a great one and after seeing Bono going on and on in one of the extra bits, the conclusion is that yes, he's a bit of a wanker

Last edited by a moderator:
Bukowski : Born into This has now had a UK release, via Artefact Films. I have a copy here.

born_uk_dvd.jpg

There's just one disc, no booklet or anything. The disc is a dual layer DVD is coded for Regions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8. Appears to be a PAL disc. There are no subtitles. The aspect ratio is actually standard fullscreen 4:3, not 16:9 as per the cover. It doesn't have all of the extras that the Australian release had.

Here's a list of the extra's on this version:
  1. Taylor Hackford In West (sic) Hollywood
  2. The Laughing Heart
  3. Plain Spoken Truth
  4. The Truth Is Never Ugly To God
  5. Bukowski's Influence
  6. Bukowski's Message
  7. "Roll The Dice"
  8. First And Last
  9. Bukowski's Home Video
  10. A Warm Pitcher Of Spit
  11. Bukowski's Mother