Bukowski: Born Into This (1 Viewer)

I used to use that as the main index photo...I don't know if it was ever in the photos section.

Actually it was a different photo. Same general pose.

index5itemb.gif

Mostly very positive reviews, but that's not surprising, it was a very good documentary. I assumed it would fall short, and went in with admittedly low expectations, but it was a very moving and insightful (if not comprehensive, but what 2 hour film could be?), piece of work.

I particularly liked Ebert's review, since he wound up being a character in the Hollywood book. The link on that site doesn't take you directly to it, so here it is:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040716/REVIEWS/407160301/1023

"How much was legend, how much was pose, how much was real? I think it was all real..."

A lot of reviews accuse Dullughan of hagiography, which makes sense. I think it really is only for the real Buk enthusiast.

And why do the hell do the brits go Apostrophes? talk about unfair...

Charlie said:
Exactly!

Though I can't find a list of the U.S. 'extras' at the moment, so maybe we get something good too. If not, some crafty UK types will be able to make some $$ selling Euro-copies on ebay...

Yet he clung to the German side of his heritage, even though he didn't remember living there, and didn't grow up speaking German.

Apostrophes

Charlie said:

I haven't seen anything about a UK release yet... are you talking about the French release mentioned above? If so, it makes sense that they have a French TV show on their DVD :D

If there's a UK release planned, can someone post a link?

its official release date

rottentomatoes.com website mentions release date it is official march 21ST

also this site,bukowski pure cult.net has out of date smog.net reference guess there is a link there though nevermind

bukowski had me checking or re checking
hemingway
e.e.cummings
jeffers
thurber
fante
celine
d.h.lawrence
richmond
creely

Richmond wrote a book on B called Spinning Off Bukowski. Spining Off Bukowski II was in the works back in 2001, but it seems it never materialized.

Richmond also had a poetry book, Hitler Painted Roses, that was recommended to me by many people. He had many books of poetry, but for some reason this one is always recommended.

Here's what Amazon has to say about the US extras:

• Available Audio Tracks: English (Unknown Format)
  • Commentary by: director John Dullaghan Unknown Format
  • Sneak peek at previously unpublished poems & "Dinosauria, We"
  • "Born Into This": behind-the-scenes featurette
  • Bukowski's final home footage from 1992
  • Deleted scene
  • Extended interviews with Bono, Linda Lee Bukowski, Taylor Hackford and Publisher John Martin
  • Tom Waits and Bono read Bukowski poetry

yea steve richmond and robert creely
and if you have not read foreword to
steve richmonds 'hitler painted roses' by bukowski
then you are missing out.

maybe someone with the French version could rip the Apostrophes episode and torrent it! Let's ask the TMF, just in case :D

I just got it on e-bay, the American version,
And he said this is no pre-order....
He's got 11 in stock,
Well 10 now :>
Seller User ID jbkablercom

Man, I pre-ordered this thing, and it said it would be delivered, at the latest, by today. Right now its saying it hasn't even begun shipping. Fuck.

I was just on amazon to see when my order would be shipped, and Born Into This has a sales ranking of 93...not bad. Cracked the top 100.

Not bad? That's excellent for such a seemingly unknown title. Its amazing, in fact. It was in the 500's no more than a day or so ago.

Indeed. I just want my damn copy so I can see what all the fuss is about.

damnit i just checked my balance at amazon
AND ONLY SENT PAYMENT FOR BORN INTO THIS and not buk @ bellvue
and they SENT ME BUKOWSKI AT BELLVUE ALREADY
now i gotta send em twenty more bucks.

i hate amazon.

You won't be disappointed. The documentary is excellent. And I don't think many things in this world are excellent.

hoochmonkey9 said:
I was just on amazon to see when my order would be shipped, and Born Into This has a sales ranking of 93...not bad. Cracked the top 100.
That must've been a mistake, went back today and it was 694...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back