Bukowski Celebration - Sat. March 28th (2 Viewers)

mjp

Founding member
Bukowski landmark dedication / Bukowski Festival - 28 March

This was part of an email from painter Matt Sesow:

BUKOWSKI/LA: "Bukowski Undigested" lives... looks like we (Linda/Scott King) will be part of a show around a Bukowski landmark dedication in March. stay tuned... get the book by clicking HERE.

So apparently they (the self-congratulatory city hall types) will be breaking a bottle of champagne across the bow of 5124 DeLongpre some time in March.

I wonder if Linda will show, knowing her general distaste for the landmark status...

If my busy schedule as Barack Obama's new barbeque czar permits, I will attend the solemn ceremony and report my findings to the scientific community here.

So City Hall is gonna celebrate "The Laureate Poet Of Skid Row", together with Linda King, outside his DeLongpre bungalow. Buk would've gotten a big laugh out of it...:D

Next, they'll erect a statue of him outside City Hall - made by Linda King! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's the shit that brings us food on the table...;)

As soon as I hear anything I'll post it here. Or if someone else gets the info first, let us know.

Next, they'll erect a statue of him outside City Hall - made by Linda King! :rolleyes:

You know, a life-sized statue of Bukowski sitting on a park bench with a bottle and a cigarette, in the right location... maybe Pershing Square(?), would not be a bad thing.

Or in MacArthur Perk where he used to hang out with Jane.
I think he would've had one already if he had been Canadian, just like Purdy have one.

It would probably just get destroyed or stolen from MacArthur Park. Unless things have changed recently, that area is gangland.

MacArthur Park? Yeah, those fuckers would haul it away on the first night and a scrap metal dealer would have it cut into a hundred pieces before the sun came up. They will steal the wiring out of your car for a few cents worth of copper. Things are getting a little crazy in some parts of town.

If you think a bronze statue would be too heavy to steal, think again. You'd see them rolling it out of there balanced on top of a dozen rusty bikes, and you'd wonder, "How the fuck?..." Ha ha.

Think about it, if they have a dedication ceremony at Delongpre where will anyone park?
I'll go but I'll need a ride home.

Didn't someone write a song about MacArtur Park? Many years ago.

Richard Harris(yes, the actor). It's the "Someone left the cake out in the rain..." song.
Now I don't know if he wrote it, but he sang it and it was quite popular way back in the day. CRB:)

The song MacCarthers Park, I like the song when I was a wee lad and my mom could not get the idea about the cake in the rain though I understood, I guess it was my first experience with "metaphor."

Thank you D in B now someone needs to show up to the dedication with a sound system to play that song MacArthur Park. I'm sure it will be easy to convince the city council weasels that it was Bukowski's favorite song while he lived at DeLongpre.

As soon as I hear anything I'll post it here. Or if someone else gets the info first, let us know.

I wrote to Matt and asked him.
Just got this letter from him:

howdy...

i am not for sure about much of anything with the march show
yet.. but i had been emailing scott king back and forth about it
earlier in the year. here's the info i have:

Charles Bukowski's house on 5124 De Longpre is now a City of
Los Angeles Historic Cultural. Landmark #912 named
Bukowski's Court.

This is where Charles Bukowski lived when his publisher John
Martin of Black Sparrow Press put him on a $100 monthly
stipend for life. This offer was his impetus to quit the Post
Office, where he had worked for almost 12 years straight, and
devote himself to writing. With a many beers and a fear of
writing, he produced Post Office in a few weeks. Experiences
with women on De Longpre would also inspire his watershed
novel, Women.

i'll email scott in the beginning of the year to figure out if it' a
go...

my best,
matt

So City Hall is gonna celebrate "The Laureate Poet Of Skid Row", together with Linda King, outside his DeLongpre bungalow. Buk would've gotten a big laugh out of it...:D

Hey, if they can erect a statue of a fictional boxer in Philly, they can erect one of an erect old man outside city hall.

______

A/N: Re: "Poet Laureate of Skid Row"

Q: Does no one find it odd that in Ham on Rye, Buk notes that he thought skid row and the people on it were disgusting???

Hey, if they can erect a statue of a fictional boxer in Philly, they can erect one of an erect old man outside city hall.

I know. Isn't that embarassing? For those of you that do not know what we are talking about, they actually put up a life size statue of Rocky Balboa at the bottom of those stairs to the Philadelphia Museum of Art (These were the stairs that he ran up in the movie).

RockyStatue.jpg

I cannot imagine a sillier idea. This really is a sad embarrassment to a really great town.

Bill

Jezuz! What's next - a statue of Rambo outside West Point? :rolleyes:

Y'know, I liked the Rocky movies just as much as the next sap... infact, my grandfather reminds me of Mick. But a statue? C'moooooonnnnnn nowwwwww...

And yeah, Philly holds some good memories for me. Went down there in like, 2006 or something with a few friends and just walked around and stuff. Like the town. But don't turn the wrong corner ha.

Got an email from Matt Sesow. Here is a glimpse of his excitement:

good news... very good news.
the buk show is a go... march 28th...
more info coming... but for right now, march 28th, 9-12am... the elephant theater... 6324 santa monica blvd...i'll be there.
hope to seeya,
matt

March 28th, 9-12am... The Elephant Theater,
I'll bring more news when I have more.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

This appeared a little while ago - but I haven't seen it posted on the boards, so can't be 100% sure that the details are set in stone...
(click to enlarge)

EDIT: See Father Luke's post below for the UP TO DATE and CORRECTED details.

I guess he's the author of 'Charles Buckaroo: A small pet' and 'The Case of the Missing Blue Wienerschnitzel' :D

Yeah, I know that Soheyl Dahi (misspelled Sohey) will not be there. I doubt that A.D. or Neeli will be there. Is this a confirmed list or a wish list?

Also, what about the poets mjp and S.A. Griffin, who are both in LA?

Bill

Bill, your elevation of me to the status of a poet anyone would want at a public gathering is flattering. But I wouldn't attend that little fiesta for all the bourbon in Kentucky.

Okay, that's not true. For all the bourbon in Kentucky I would certainly go stand there and watch people do whatever the hell people do at those things. But I wouldn't go for one drop less.

For all the bourbon in Kentucky, I'd join ya.
I'd join anyone.

Here is the latest from Matt:

hi Father Luke...
it's big Go!!!!
the show is on... please tell everybody and please come...
promote the dickens out of it if you can.
your pal,matt

Thank you for posting the announcement, FL!

Hey... the Taylor Hackford documentary lasts now 40
minutes instead of the original 60 or
the shorten version of 30 minutes.

Don't mean to nitpick, but whoever is writing/setting the copy needs to learn to proofread. "All the poets were Bukowski friends and knew him personality?" Also, Paul Vangelisti's name is mis-spelled.

I've noticed that too.
They seem to read here, since the only name I mocked about (Gerry) has been corrected by now.

Anyway, I wish I could be there. Seeing the event, meeting all these people, just inhaling the athmosphere...

I would think it's a little too early here to ask that question. I was diverted from going by a spousal veto and the trump card. I wanted very much to attend but I had a wonderful time at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back