Bukowski In Pictures, Howard Sounes (PICTURES WITHDRAWN) (1 Viewer)

HenryChinaski

Founding member
So I checked the mail today and low and behold, this was waiting for me.

Now, at first, I had my doubts but this book is truly amazing. To me, this seems better than any Biography about Bukowski that I've read so far.

Bukowski In Pictures is not only a journey of words through the life of Charles Bukowski but also serves as a visual window into his life.

There are so many great pictures in this book, over half of which I had never even seen before.

-pictures of realatives, girlfriends, friends, loads of roominghouses where Buk lived, places of employment, many pictures I had never seen of Marina, including baby pics and one of her and Hank dancing at her wedding, pictures of Bukowski at his writing desk (one year prior to his death), pictures of the Dew Drop Inn, pictures of covers of rare Bukowski material (including You Kissed Lilly, and "The Wedding" about Buks marrige to Linda Lee, etc), Bukowski's R.O.T.C. pictures (including a marching picture of the routine Bukowski won an award for in Ham On Rye), Birth Certificates, FBI Files, manuscripts, broadsides, even the medieval Font at the German Cathedral he was baptised in, gravestone pictures (bukowski, parents, and relatives), LOL theres even a picture of Bukowski with Shel Silverstein drinking, lol theres even a picture of the certificate buk got for completing a drunk driving class, THERES EVEN A PICTURE OF JOAN JOBE SMITH IN HERE, COLOR illistrations by R. Crumb, and so on and so forth.
I CANT EVEN BEGIN TO LIST ALL THE AMAZING PICTURES IN THIS!
there are so many good things about this book that I can't give it all away.

PICK IT UP IF YOU GET THE CHANCE.

p.s. make sure you get a hardcover, the quality is amazing.

Can you take some pics of the book (and photos inside)
& Post them here?!
The Mail doesn't always deliver bad news! :>

Congrats! You're right, it is truly an amazing book. It should be in
every Bukowski collection - big or small! I got a copy from www.kerouac.com when it came out. Mine is a soft cover. I regret that now. I should bought the
hard cover edition, because it's such a wonderfull book. Strangely, there's not a single Montford foto in the book. Not that it matters though.
Does the hc version also have a Buk portrait by Helnwein on the front
cover and a foto of Buk's refrigirator on the back? Or are they inside?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bukfan said:
Strangely, there?s not a single Montford foto in the book. Not that it matters though.
Does the hc version also have a Buk portrait by Helnwein on the front
cover and a foto of Buk?s refrigirator on the back? Or are they inside?

yes theres no pictures taken by Montford but there is a picture of him. ahhahahaahah.

yes indeed, the portrait is on the front of the dust jacket and the refrigorator is on the back of the dust jacket as well.

I'll post pics soon. I'm allowed to do that right?

SounesWithdrawn.jpg
SounesWithdrawn.jpg
SounesWithdrawn.jpg

that's enough for now. you get the just of it. this is an incredible book.

there's over 200 pictures in the book so I don't think anybody will kick up a fuss over those few.

Incredible book and incredible pictures! I remember that I used a magnifying glass to read all the small text fotos like the FBI files and the letters from linda king...:)

whoa thats a good idea. I'll do that next time I get a chance.

EDIT: in the pic of Buk at his writing desk, notice the poster beside Barfly.
Its a love is a dog from hell poster. Does anybody know anything about that?

HenryChinaski said:
Its a love is a dog from hell poster. Does anybody know anything about that?
You can find them at some larger movie poster geek sites, or from time to time on eBay.

http://www.cineposters.com/home/?PosterID=19-002&templatename=_posterdisplay

There are different versions though - I had one similar to the one at the above link, but without the inset pictures of the women. Just the boy peeking through the door, and it was very large. If I'm remembering correctly (not always a good bet) it also had the Love is a Dog From Hell title as opposed to Crazy Love.

I sold it a while back, but I'll have to see if I can dig up a picture.

Got it too recently and it's really a very interesting book. Many of the pictures circling in the net are taken from there.

But I was surprised to discover that there is at least not one picture by Michael Montfort in it. He is not even credited. Of course, that doesn't matter at all, the book is great. But being B.`s personal photographer and a project called "Bukowski in Pictures" ...

Does anyone know a reason behind this?

I bet mjp and/or Bill know why that is. I could hazard a guess, but I'd probably be wrong. I'll wait and let someone with the facts speak.

I don't know anything about a rift between Montfort and Sounes, but it would seem that there was one, or at least some of his work would have been included.

What I heard was a little different than that, but I vaguely recall it was told in confidence, so I'll shut up about it. There, I haven't spilled any beans, and my word is still good.

Sounds very ominous, David.
It really doesn't matter. I was just wondering.

It kind of sucks you into. The photo of Henry B. Senior in his car, looking quite pissed and brutal. And the North Mariposa Place, I`d got the feeling, that it was small, but it was actually just a room with a murphy bed and even a shared bathroom. I didn't know that.

Sounds very ominous, David.
It really doesn?t matter. I was just wondering.

Not ominous, just something I may have been told confidentially. I try to keep things private when asked to, but in this case I'm not sure I was. Aging brain cells at work...

yes it is.

as for the missing Montfort pics:
as far as I know, the conditions they offered weren't acceptable to him. but this is not firsthand information. maybe rekrap can just 'nod' if it's true ...

Finally bought Bukowski In Pictures. I'm really content with the softcover version.

They did a very good job.

Wow that's some beautiful work. You've convinced me to buy the book! Hardcover you say... I'll hafta keep an eye out. Thanks!

It's a great book, incidentally. I found it just as informative as the HS bio. There's a fair amount of text in there. So yeah, ABE, eBay, used on Amazon - all great sources.

HS did a tremendous amount of research and it shows. Very good books.

But don't buy it because you saw it here. Pretend you never saw these pages of the book.

Great book, great subject. I never get tired of reading about Bukowski, looking at the photos. He was so goddamned human.

There are pictures from the book that I, for one, would like to see again that aren't even in this thread. If I hadn't traded my digital camera for a Holga I might add them, just so you can see what I mean.

;)

There are pictures from the book that I, for one, would like to see again that aren't even in this thread. If I hadn't traded my digital camera for a Holga I might add them, just so you can see what I mean.

;)

A Holga? Art snob. They say if you send another $25 to China, they'll let you focus the thing.

mjp: you should post that Don Knott's look-alike photo. Shoot it with your Holga. That'll piss him off. It'll be so blurry he won't be able to prove it's him.

A Holga? Art snob. They say if you send another $25 to China, they'll let you focus the thing.
Ha ha - if I could focus it, it wouldn't be any fun. I love that fucking camera.

Besides, real art snobs pay $300 for Diana's or old Soviet Lomos. ;)

My first digital camera was something called a Kodak Smile or E-smile. A lens the size of a fly's eye. It was unfocusable, and the images heavily pixilated. So, get one of those and you can have your fuzzy Holga images and your digital camera all in one. My favorite cameras long ago were the junk plastic lens cameras I bought in thrift stores for 39 cents. I published a small book of photos using those. Pictures of big donuts on top of donut shops. It was an L.A. thing. But I digress...

I published a small book of photos using those. Pictures of big donuts on top of donut shops. It was an L.A. thing. But I digress...

If only someone would work on publishing a bibliography where these books like this "donut" book could be cataloged...

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back