Bukowski is my god! (2 Viewers)

Hey folks!

I am glad to be here and I am very excited to be the new member of this community. I have to say that Bukowski has really influenced my taste in poetry and literature and even has changed my life. To me his poems, his words are not just beautiful and touching but they are a real kick in the ass, something that is very rare I believe. In short I am an absolute of fan this man and I hope someday I could write poems like he did and I don't care if people say that is an imitation of Bukowski. I will do that with a full heart.

Cheers!
--
Joe

Hi dijhony, welcome to the forum,
I lived in Vancouver in for 22 years but now in Montreal.
Did you ever watch the reading that Buk gave In Vanvouver in 1979?
What have you read so far?

Btw, one of our members seems to like a new band from Vancouver, The Japan Droids.
Have you ever heard of them? If so, what do you think of the band?

Hi Black Swan, I am actually from Kurdistan (north west of Iran). I moved to Vancouver four years ago and I love it here but I might go back to my country for various reasons. Anyhow I haven't watched that reading you mentioned. Is that available on the internet?

I am almost new in Bukowski's world and also in the world of english literature (have to use dictionary frequently, i hate that). From the novels, I have read "Women" and "Ham on Rye" (because the library had them). I liked "Ham on Rye" very much. I have read few collection of poems and short stories. In particular I am blown away by his poetry. Honestly I haven't read much poetry but from those I have seen, from all the Persian poets and Kurdish poets that I know very well, I believe Buk stands a way above the all. Its simplicity, honesty, and freshness is exceptional. You know it is not dead, its like a living creature. and its not serious too. if you act serious then you kill it. yeah, there is too much to say about Bukowski. I am just glad that through here I have the opportunity to write few words about my passion for his poetry (and prose).

Her Bezhi! (in Kurdish, means something like cheers or long live)

I haven't heard of The Japan Droids. I will check it out or I just ask people if I get the chance.

[...] I haven't watched that reading you mentioned. Is that available on the internet?

it's still available everywhere in bookshops, media-stores or internet.

The cover looks like this.
It came out last year with another Buk-reading, which you see here and which I prefer to the other one.

Welcome dijhony. I worked together with an old man from Kurdistan once and he went on and on telling stories about his childhood and youth there - Ömer was fun most of the time, he wouldn't care about a lot of things showing a 'fuck you, leave me alone' kind of attitude. But then, one story was hardcore and I thought Kurdistan was not a cool place to grow up. The police, erm, well and he was hiding in the mountains..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Black Swan, I am actually from Kurdistan (north west of Iran). I moved to Vancouver four years ago and I love it here but I might go back to my country for various reasons. Anyhow I haven't watched that reading you mentioned. Is that available on the internet?
Yes, the reading is available on Internet. There is a thread about it somewhere on the blog. Look with the search button.
I am curious as to what your reasons are?
Maybe too curious?
I will most likely move back there myself. It is my favorite city in the world I know, aside from San Franscisco but what do I know of the world really? except that you need to wake up somewhere close to your soul...

roni, Thanks for the info. Finally I will go to a bookstore for a reason.

Mark73, Thank you. I see you are from Germany. I think many Kurdish people moved over there as refugees (they still do). I guess those people have many bad memories. I have bad memories too. When I was a kid there was two bloody wars happening in the region, the one between Iraq and Iran and also the civil war between Kurdish guerrillas and the government, but despite all this I had a wonderful childhood. well the kids don't care about what is happening, right? But now the situation has gotten much better over there. there is no war and there is peace and rich people go to movies and drive fancy cars.

Gerard K H Love, Thanks a lot man. you are right, there is no borders here and that is the beauty of it. I have lived in Turkey too but I am from Iran.

Black Swan, I am doing a phd in math and cs here and when I finish it I have to do something, maybe I should return to my country and become a good professor and take care of my family but Vancouver is a great place to live. I am not sure what will be my decision.

Welcome to the boards, dijohny! (did I spell that right?)

As I am part Polish, I say to you: Na Zdrowia!

I'm also Irish, so: Slainte!

That pleases me to read a Bukowski fan coming from the East and the muslim world. I was born and am living in France but my parents emigrated there from Pakistan.

Bonjour , gimme five or Salamalekum !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back