Bukowski tattoos (3 Viewers)

And check out the quote to see if it's correct. Nothing worse than an almost correct quote, especially as a tattoo...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! Bukfan is right.

There are reports that Brittney Spears' "Kaballah" tattoo on the back of her neck is in the wrong order and means nothing. There is no bigger douchebag moment than realizing that you got a tattoo that means nothing.

Sometimes it is better if you "Bon't Try"...

Bill

p.s. This is the second time that she has found out that a tattoo in a foreign language on her body does not mean what it says it means. She also has a tattoo in Japanese that she thought meant "Mysterious", but means "Strange". My sister has a tattoo in Japanese that she said means "Savage"; It could translate to "Uncouth", etc, etc.... Best to do some research and think about it for a long while.....

Thank you very much Bill
mdrz.gif

No matter what Britney Spears puts on as a tattoo, there are people who think she is a stupid c*nt and that's all they will think of anything she does.

I say to leave Brittney Spears Alone as much as possible, but it goes to show you that it is VERY important to do research before getting inked. A typo in a book is embarrassing to the publisher. A typo on a tattoo can be life changing.

Bill

i don't have one yet, but i'm getting my favorite quote tattooed on my right wrist just above the hand i write with

"as god said, crossing his legs, i see where i have created plenty of poets, but so very much poetry"

a good kick in the balls to poets everywhere...

PLEASE CHECK YOUR SOURCE BEFORE HAVING THIS INKED....

I show the line to be:

but as God said,
crossing his legs,
I see where I have made plenty of poets
but not so very much
poetry.

If I was getting something that would be on my body forever, I would make 100% sure that the quote was right. I show one word missing, which changes the meaning completely (NOT is NOT there) and Created vs. made. This could be caused by revisions. Where did you see the quote above? I don;t have the book in front of me and relied on the intertnet for the above quote, so it could be wrong too. Still, I am 100% sure that he meant "not so very many poetry" as opposed to the way that you show it.

Bill

If you're dumb and lazy enough to get a misquote tattooed onto you, you should have to live with it.

And if you get a quote from a later poem, always be sure to attribute it to Bukowski/Martin, as you'll never be quite sure who wrote what.

yeah... typo due to sleep deprivation. i have the correct quote written all over the place ( notebooks, shoes, etc). i'm a tshooter for a tech support company. sitting in cublicles and downing 5 hrs to evade sleep for a little while longer makes a girl crazy. try it some time. you'd misquote the messiah even if he was sitting next to you feeding you the lines.

hi there,
ever since I read the poem (and that goes way back) I've always wanted to get the lines ' born like this/into this ' on the inside of my right arm. Well, not really on the inside cause that would be pointless. But you know.
Greets !

The poem is "Dinosauria, we". Just make sure that you get a hard copy of the poem and bon't rely on an internet copy. They are notorious for changing a word here and there.

Bill

Yes I do have the poem in one of his books, so that won't be happening.
Could you tell me more about John Martin altering his work ? I don't really get it since he seems to have so much respect for Bukowski. If I respected a poet I'd leave it all as it was, typo's and everything. Just to feel him more, and not in a gay fashion.

John Martin was Bukowski's editor. Editors are supposed to edit. Otherwise they are just publishers.

Everyone makes typos, Bukowski included. Leaving them in there, for the sake of "Street Cred" would be a disaster.

I think that some people are bothered by the thought that Bukowski's work may have been edited posthumostly. I'm not sure if that is the case, but Bukowski certainly would have wanted his editor to edit and correct typos.

There was an issue with the novel Women, but those were more changes than Buk allowed.

Still, no one outside Bukowski and Martin knew the exact relationship that they had as to editing. I would think that Bukowski would have wanted a strong editor. I think that John Martin was a strong editor.

Bill

p.s. Everyone has their own opinions of John Martin. I come down on the side of being a supporter of his.

[...] John Martin. I come down on the side of being a supporter of his.

I don't know or have corresponded with him personally. So maybe I shouldn't say anything about J.M.

I too am 'supporting' him for the importance he had for Bukowski, and the fact that Buk stuck to him till the end of his life tells something.

Still we can't overlook what he did to 'Women':

"... a little tragedy [...]. I tell John Martin to go ahead and correct my grammar but this time he went too far. [...] Shit man. I guess he thinks I can't write. he threw shit in. Like I like to say 'he said', 'she said'. that's enough for me. But he threw stuff in, like 'he retorted', 'he said cheerfully', 'I shrugged', 'she seemed to be sore.' - Shit, it goes on and on ..."
(letter to Gerald Locklin, March 15, 1979. collected in: Living on Luck, p 260)

and though I DO agree, that it's the editor's job to correct obvious errors, I still like the attitude of this one as well:

"... The [early] poems were sent out as written on first impulse, no line or word changes. I never revised or retyped. To eliminate an error, I would simply go over it thus: #########, and go on with the line. One magazine editor printed a group of my poems with all the ########s intact." (from: preface to 'The Roominghouse Madrigals', p. 6)

Geez... Where have you guys been all my life.

Found this forum while looking around at some other Buk tattoos. I think I might poke around a bit.

Here's mine:
photo-4.jpg

Nice tatoo Edge, nice bats too.
I got some bats for ya
taken of my phone so shit picture but ye get the point, want bukowski potrait under it. but alas my money is short.

Image000.jpg

this is on my left arm with most of it under where it bends sept the bats and cactus, i love it, but my black sabbath tat on my tit is still my fav.

it looks realy shit on that picture but its done very well i think. ill try get a better picture at some point.

and yes i am a hairy motherfucker

Has THIS been posted here before?
Oops. She got stuck with devision (which isn't even a word) in place of derision.

3380619335_354a50fd66_b.jpg

Who gets a tattoo consisting mainly of words without proofreading it when it's still a removable stencil? Well, her, I guess. And a lot of others.

Now she have to get the "v" made into an "r", if it's possible...:D

It's a magic trick. You know, where a flash of fire suddenly comes from the magician's hand and then disappears.

According to Sounes (pg. 562), Bukowski was an avid amateur magician, even going so far as having his own elaborate props built so he could saw women in half, escape from milk cans, etc.

Google it.

Is that supposed to be a cigarette or a microphone in his hands.

no, he shows the audience how he's masturbating.

(I don't dig tattoos, but like the style of this one as a colored drawing. The original masturbation-scene is on a photograph in 'Shakespeare' btw.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back