Can I have some of that Brownie? (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
In my wrongheaded quest to remain steadfastly rooted in the previous century, I just snatched this 45-50 year old relic off eBay today, for a paltry £2.20. The world has no respect for the classics, I tell you.

browniecresta3.jpg

Uses the same medium format 120 film a Holga uses, though I expect the optics may be a bit more advanced than the Holga's Chinese plastic lens.

It should work. It's about as mechanically simple as a camera can be. If it doesn't work it should be an easy fix.

That's a good photo. You didn't take that with your Holga, did you? I can see the film of grime on the top of it. Like it sat on a closet self for 55 years waiting to go a vacation.

That is not a Brownie -- the Brownie is the brown square box camera.

Yes it says Brownie -- but that is not the true Brownie.

well, at least all that info was pro bono. someday I'm going to live a weekend as a true Brownie. that's roughing it. pro bono, of course.

I spent a few weekends as a brownie, myself.
I also was in the brownies for a few memorable weekends.
Nothing like brownies to grow hair on your chest.

Black Swan - The Brownies were international ? So my subversive notion of them as little revolutionaries, running around wearing their berets like Che Guevara was correct ? It was a world-wide movement.... chilling stuff....

yup!
I've learned to pitch up a tent in a golf course on a weekend away from home.
It was my first idea of the wilderness. ;)

Mjp, I closed a shop last winter and had a few of these cameras.
I emptied the last of my store in a friend's truck. I'll see if he still has them in boxes.

The Brownie arrived today about four weeks ahead of schedule. It is dusted and loaded with some Checkoslovakian 400 ISO black and white film. We shall see what kind of special sauce it has.

When we saw an example of the Holgas photos it was a tractor trailer overturned and in flames on the freeway. That will be a tough act to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back