Charles Bukowski & Georgia Hubbard (1 Viewer)

I am trying to find the picture of Charles Bukowski & Georgia Hubbard standing in front of the fridge in Buk's apartment. Anyone have any suggestions where I might find it?

The photographer is Joan Gannij (at least according to her). I sent you a PM with her email address.

Thank you very much. I just sent her an e-mail.

I just received a response from this person. she says she can't help me. Any other suggestions?

As I understand it, the actual "authorship," so to speak, of that photo is in question, which may be why she doesn't want to sell you a print.

The other photographer who shot photos that day is Ulvis Alberts, though I don't have contact information for him. It may turn out that no one can sell you (or anyone) a print of that photo.

Was Georgia a friend of yours?

mad kitty said:
I just received a response from this person. she says she can't help me. Any other suggestions?
I have a really nice poster of this image which was released as a Canadian Promo for "Women." It credits Ulvis Alperts and Joan Levine for the photo. I plan on listing this on ebay sometime soon... possibly as soon as this weekend. I'd offer to sell it outright but I really have no idea what it's value is so I'll let the market decide the price.

I'll post here when I list it.

Ulvis Alberts does not have the negatives anymore. Your best bet here would be to find a high quality photo and try to scan it.

Bill

Chronic,

Wow....that would be great! I have no idea what it is worth either. Unfortunately for me, probably a lot as it appears to be hard to find. Let me know when you are going to post it on e-bay. Do you ship to Canada?

Thanks.

MJP,

Makes sense. The person I was speaking to at the e-mail address you gave me was very vague and almost short with me. It was weird.

No, Georgia was not a friend of mine.....but I sure like her style. (LOL)

In Sounes'Buk bio she's called Georgia Peckham-Krellner if I remember correctly - not Hubbard...

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have THE CRUELTY OF LOVELESS LOVE by Kunst Editions? The photos are beautiful reproduced and laid into a huge clamshell box along with some letterpressed poetry. I don't buy that the negatives are gone because CRUELTY was published four or five years ago.

The photographer is Joan Gannij (at least according to her). I sent you a PM with her email address.

Your accusation is not fair and is very insulting. Then you go on to add some more controversy on "authorship". If you really knew the whole story of the photographer's, Joan Levine and Ulvis Alberts, then you wouldn't be throwing little half truth's out.

For legal reasons, people have been advised not to talk about certain things. Sorry, deal with it. As far as your insulting accusation of Joan Levine Gannij not being the photographer, you're wrong. She has always given Ulvis Alberts credit and royalties from their partnership with that picture.

Your accusation is not fair and is very insulting. Then you go on to add some more controversy on "authorship". If you really knew the whole story of the photographer's, Joan Levine and Ulvis Alberts, then you wouldn't be throwing little half truth's out.
I said there is some question as to the authorship of the photo, that is not an accusation or a half truth.

For legal reasons, people have been advised not to talk about certain things.
Yes, I'm sure there is a very important, Supreme Court-type gag order in place. I wouldn't expect anyone to let any details slip regarding a matter of such importance. If you talk about it, the terrorists win.

So who are you, the husband, the boyfriend or the son?

You're very protective and very testosterone-y, so my guess is you're one of those three.

first post

For legal reasons, people have been advised not to talk about certain things. Sorry, deal with it. As far as your insulting accusation of Joan Levine Gannij not being the photographer, you're wrong. She has always given Ulvis Alberts credit and royalties from their partnership with that picture.

Hi,

You forgot to introduce yourself. No worries, there is always a second chance.

Welcome!

The photographer is Joan Gannij ... I sent you a PM with her email address.

mad kitty said:
I just received a response... she says she can't help me. Any other suggestions?

The other photographer who shot photos that day is Ulvis Alberts... It may turn out that no one can sell you (or anyone) a print of that photo.

Ulvis Alberts does not have the negatives anymore. Your best bet here would be to find a high quality photo and try to scan it.

Great, now I am trying to buy this pic as well. Can I get the e mail address for Joan also?

Posters of that image crop up on ebay sometimes. Mostly from Germany though.

PS. Icksnay on the Uckchay.

Great, now I am trying to buy this pic as well. Can I get the e mail address for Joan also?
Chuck rules!
Thanks!!!!!!

Yes, Joan would not be the person to contact. You can find a poster if you are looking to buy one. They do show up.

On another note, anyone on the forum that wants to buy any copies of the beautiful postcard that was made from a painting by Black Swan (and was funded by donations from the folks on this forum) should contact the artist directly by sending a private message to "Black Swan". She will probably be willing to sell copies of this amazing postcard for a fair price. Order one or 50, but get them fast. They will not last long.

Bill

If you really knew the whole story of the photographer's, Joan Levine and Ulvis Alberts, then you wouldn't be throwing little half truth's out. As far as your insulting accusation of Joan Levine Gannij not being the photographer, you're wrong.
And here is more from the good folks at Mother Road Publications (who published a poster in the mid-90's of Bukowski in front of the refrigerator solo, from the same photo session and correctly credited the photo to Ulvis Alberts exclusively):

"Beat Scene #22 features the infamous photo of Hank and Georgia. Inside is an article by Joan Levine Gannij, who claims to have been the photographer at that meeting, in which she explains how the photo came about. Ulvis Alberts, a renowned photographer in his own right, whom Gannij rather flippantly describes in the article as her 'lighting assistant' at that session, tells a different story. He claims that he and Gannji were collaborating on a book at the time about celebrities and their refrigerators; he was there as the photographer and Gannji was there as the writer."

Who is "Bukowski Photos"? Is that Joan? I always find it telling when someone comes on the forum and complains about something and it is somethig that they have a very personal stake in, but fail to sign the post. We saw it a few times recently, always seeming to center around photographs, for some reason. The idea that they come in and either try to hide their true self or exaggerate their relationship to a photographer that we would have heard of by taking their name, when they are, in fact, the grandson is a bit dishonest. Why not just come out and say "This is Mr/Mrs xxxxx and you are wrong about this"?

Bill

Well, without giving it away, let's just say the email address contains "Geoff" (and likely also a last name). That's why I doubted it was Gannij herself, but rather someone close to her. Obviously it is someone with a vested interest.

The only other posts I could find by him were in a Mercedes forum.

Who is "Bukowski Photos"? Is that Joan? I always find it telling when someone comes on the forum and complains about something and it is somethig that they have a very personal stake in, but fail to sign the post. We saw it a few times recently, always seeming to center around photographs, for some reason. The idea that they come in and either try to hide their true self or exaggerate their relationship to a photographer that we would have heard of by taking their name, when they are, in fact, the grandson is a bit dishonest. Why not just come out and say "This is Mr/Mrs xxxxx and you are wrong about this"?
Bill, you seem like an ok guy and your request for my identity is easy enough. With no disrespect to most of the posters here, I feel dirty just being apart of this thread. mjp has diarrhea of the mouth and is ever so eager to share his misinformation with anyone who doesn't notice his court jester hat and identify him as the criminal clown he is. I say criminal because instead of asking me who I am in an honorable way like Bill, he illegally violates my privacy by going into private forum information. Very felonious and indicative of a lack of integrity, morals, and honor. What's up with the moderators around here. Not very smart.

My name is Geoff Levine and Joan is my mother. I try and stay out of the bull shit rumors and misinformation because it's really none of my business. But I felt I had to defend my mother from the felonious clowns lies and disrespect. The real question should be, "Who is this clown, mjp, and what is his relationship to Ulvis?".

Bill, I hope that I have been honorable and polite enough to identify myself when asked. Sorry for getting distracted by the class clown, but he seems to be better at pushing buttons than being funny.

Bill, you seem like an ok guy and your request for my identity is easy enough. With no disrespect to most of the posters here, I feel dirty just being apart of this thread.
Last time I checked, participation was voluntary.

mjp has diarrhea of the mouth and is ever so eager to share his misinformation with anyone who doesn't notice his court jester hat
Feel free to contradict any misinformation. We will all listen closely for the cricket-sound of your non-response.

Oh, that's right, you are under a Supreme Court gag order so you can't discuss it. I forgot.

and identify him as the criminal clown he is. I say criminal because instead of asking me who I am in an honorable way like Bill, he illegally violates my privacy by going into private forum information. Very felonious and indicative of a lack of integrity, morals, and honor.
If there was criminal activity, I suggest calling the police! It sounds important, and they are there to help.

Wait, I see that you are claiming that a felony was perpetrated against you. Scratch the police part. You need to call the FBI! Right now!

What's up with the moderators around here. Not very smart.
Charmer.

My name is Geoff Levine and Joan is my mother.
As predicted, no crystal ball required.

I try and stay out of the bull shit rumors and misinformation because it's really none of my business.
Good job.

Gah, there's always a "but."

I felt I had to defend my mother from the felonious clowns lies and disrespect. The real question should be, "Who is this clown, mjp, and what is his relationship to Ulvis?".
Well, you caught me. I am Ulvis Alberts' ex-step nephew (through marriage and subsequent divorce). I have never met my ex-step uncle, but I was forced to choose sides in this horribly imprortant legal gag order skirmish, so I had to come down on the side of ex-family. You understand.

Bill, I hope that I have been honorable and polite enough to identify myself when asked.
Yes, it only took a year from the first time someone suggested you introduce yourself. An honorable year for you, what with all your achievements and important work, but still, our patience has its limits.

Sorry for getting distracted by the class clown, but he seems to be better at pushing buttons than being funny.
Oh come on, you didn't even crack a smile at the "ex-step nephew" bit?

I do hope that some day the court records can be unsealed and, if not us, at least future generations can know the horrible truth of this indescribably important issue!

We must know who really took that fucking picture GEOFF!

I would beg you to disobey the Supreme Court gag order and give us the truth we so desperately crave, but I fear that my pleas would fall on deaf ears. You have to do what you have to do. You are an extremely cruel, yet honorable, man.

Just like your mother.

She has always given Ulvis Alberts credit and royalties from their partnership with that picture.
well, once again she claims to have taken the photos. no mention of ulvis at all. not even a whisper. when will the courts allow us to know the truth??? when, oh when dear lord?!?

Shit! I'm always late to the party. Just walking in the door I can see someone's taking themselves and their mother too seriously. Give him hell mjp, oh, and ah... maybe direct 'em over to the "what I'm having for drinking thread." (since he feels so dirty in this one) :D

Happy Black Friday. As a professional photographer myself since 1984, I have watched this string since nearly the beginning with great pleasure. It looked like throats were getting a little parched of late so I decided to finally step into the middle & wade around the anal ooze for awhile. My name is Gene Alberts, 48 y/o son of Ulvis Alberts. That's what it said on my birth-cert anyway---and all I knew---until finally proven when Ulvis and I met for the first time in 1987. So, hello to all, and, most importantly, a very special WTF greeting to Geoff! Man, do I have a story to tell! Unfortunately, I'm out of wine, the dog's gotta shit, and I'm hungry. But I promise you, this will all be cleared up by Christmas. Stay tuned. Should be fun!

Thanks Bill! I love the courageous work you do. The clamshell preservation boxes are great! Yes, Ulvis is rare bird with some symptoms of the general de-evolution of humanity, but a true Master of the Photographic Art for more than four decades now. (www.ulvisalbertsphotographs.com). As the bastard son of an absentee father for 25 yrs, we've had our serious issues, but we press on together because there is little else.

So, now that my whistle be wetted, and tongue be sharp, lets fire a few warning rounds across the unholy bow of this ongoing delusion, shall we? Or, to quote our friend Hunter: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." First, a self disclosure: I'm not by any means a Buk authority, just a hardcore fan (thanks to Ulvis).

Yes, a whole strip of B&W negatives of the 1976 Buk shoot "disappeared" around 1977. I will address this later. (Owoo, that should be worth the price of admission alone).

In the meantime, a few of you may be familiar with the 1994 "Alpha Beat Press" (ISBN: 0-921720-42-4) commemorative chap book printed just prior to Buks funeral, edited by Ana & Dave Christy (blessings to you both). I don't see why this great little edition isn't referenced in the serious "collectors" lists like www.collectingbukowski.com ? Shame on you! It has several great/rare Buk poems, some unpublished from their previous "Alpha Beat Soup" collections.

On the cover of this issue is Ulvis's photo of Buk guzzling a Heineken beer in front of his frig from the photo-shoot in question. On back cover is Ulvis's photo of Buk standing gallantly holding a beer with his right hand behind his back. On the inside pages are two other photos from this session. One is of Buk lifting barbell weights high over his head in front of a now open frig full of nothing but beer (I have a couple of 5x7 prints of this left). The other is of Buk and Ulvis standing together in front of frig. This last image was submitted to Alpha Beat by "Joan Levine" and is properly credited as such. The other three images are credited to "Ulvis Alberts, photographer." As a matter of fact, on the second to last page, there is contact info for Ulvis for anyone interested in purchasing copies of these three prints.

It should be noted that in these photographs it is obvious that some type of supplemental "studio" lighting was used---likely a strobe of some type---placed just left and overhead of camera or bounced off ceiling. This fact will be significant to the Silly Hat jury of courtly jesters later...

So, my Lords of Cosmic Jest, I present before you this evidence as "Exhibit A" Blah, blah. Four photographs taken of Buk in the course of a drunken afternoon by two individuals claiming to be "photographers" and ever since that day having "exclusive" or "joint" copyright to ALL images created. Four photos were submitted to Alpha Beat in 1994, credited to two different individuals (three to one and one to the other). I was with Ulvis in 1994. There were no lawsuits, controversy, arguments, SWAT Teams, between the two parties then. Each claimed, received, published their respective photographs with copyright and without dispute. Problem is---and now we get into the...what's the German phrase for "dark heart" or "delusion of grandeur" ----the real story.

Yeah, send him a scan and he'll probably put it up. If he doesn't I will personally kick his ass. I have it on good authority that his back is messed up and he's on Vicodin... it should be really easy to take him out.

there is nothing funny here Geoff except for the lies.

As I previously referenced the lovely 1994 Alpha Beat Chap Buk commermorative publication, I wanted also to mention that included in it is a poem entitled: "Photographing the Poet" by Ulvis. I have several rough drafts of this in my archive. I have had to change the format here from the Alpha published edition. The realtive siginication of this piece is "Exhibit B" in the authenticity of who photoraphed the "Georgia Peckham-Krellner/Georgia Hubbard" image with Buk. I have heard this strory first hand on servral ginned-up occasions, much more colorfully than the following poem. But here it is:

Photographing the Poet---Ulvis Alberts

We were somewhere off Western at Sunset, in a small apartment, we waited for the poet to rise in the early afternoon with our six-packs of XXX Mexican beer.

The poet entered the living room, hung-over, not knowing what it was we wanted. But the beer smoothed over the preliminaries, and we discussed shots in the kitchen"”since it was a photo series on famous people and their refrigerators.

As we talked and drank -Amphetamine Sal- a skinny, hooker entered the front door---as if on cue"”and paced back and forth in the tiny room and shrieked; "I can't believe it... all the way up Western every guy on the block is whistlin' and yelling at me... cars are honking, and stoppin' and the street is going wild. I mean what's going on?"

And we sat on the couch, and the poet in a chair, and smiled in a cautious way at the Sal show. And Sal was pacin', twitchin' and foolin', with her short -wrap-around- leather skirt, pullin' it back back and forth on her hips. And finally, pullin' the slit of it to her rear. The poet said wryly, "Sal, slow down. You just walked through Hollywood with your marble white ass stickin' out for the world to see." We all laughed, and the poet and Sal walked into the kitchen for a portrait. They posed -beers in hand"”by the fridge.

A few years later, the fridge photographs were published in Germany about the time one of the poets novels was translated. The books sold better than ever.

The last I heard, the poet moved out of the dumps of E. Hollywood, bought a BMW, got married, and Hollywood made some movies of his life.

In one of his books, I read a poem about our photography session"”he lamented not fucking my partners ass.

But Hank, the best thing that happened that day---1976----was Sal showing up with her bare ass. And yet that was years before an actress would become famous not wearing panties in a Hollywood movie.

More to come!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back