Charles Bukowski & Georgia Hubbard (2 Viewers)

Saw this thread yester after perusing Sounes' bio of Buk. I came across the picture in quesiton while looking through the photo section of the book. It lists copyright for the picture as for Joan Levine Gannij.

I had not realized that Georgia was Pamela 'Cupcakes' Miller's best friend.

Saw this thread yester after perusing Sounes' bio of Buk. I came across the picture in quesiton while looking through the photo section of the book. It lists copyright for the picture as for Joan Levine Gannij.

well, if Unkel Howee says it is true, then it must be true.

Still, It is interesting. Joan Levine says that she was working on a series of famous people in front of their fridges. Has anyone seen any additional images of other people from her series?

I have seen photo by ULVIS ALBERTS of Alice Cooper in front of his refrigerator.

Alice_Cooper_1976.jpg

Curious, I tell you.

Bill

p.s. Then there is always this image of Buk in front of his fridge...

Charles_Bukowski_1976.jpg

Re:#40 James, With all due respect, I'm not sure what you're referring to "see post #18.." Are you one who believes Obama was born in Kenya? Please see my very first post #34. Just an oversight or are you asking for something more, DNA test perhaps? Lighten up. I'm trying to tell you the real story here... Oh, I have other pics of celebs in front of their refers from that "project" in my archives, Linda Carter in her Wonder Woman Costume for starters. And just like the the two shots Bill shares above they were ALL created by Ulvis. more later...

ps, the photo of Alice is available from me on eBay right now (puravida2u).

pardon me? i was simply posting a link to joan levine telling her version of that night in buk's kitchen. it's from "the cruelty of loveless love."
i'm not asking for anything more. Obama and DNA? with all due respect, what the hell are you talking about?

Yeah... wow. What a reaction. James pointed you to something that completely negates this statement:

She has always given Ulvis Alberts credit and royalties from their partnership with that picture.

She refers to your father as "an assistant."

And you jump on him? I think you owe him an apology.

Gene,
Yes, I think that he was letting you know about the claims of Levine, which I find insulting to Ulvis To refer to him as an "assistant" and then say that the fridge shots were her project is giving herself WAY too much credit, plus she has nothing to back it up. Where are her fridge shots?. She had one of her relatives post here a while back and repeat these claims of ownership, which I, for one, do not believe.

James was not busting your balls, but letting you know about her odd claims.

Bill

Lighten up? Did he really type that? Ha ha. Pot, kettle, etc.

Gene and Geoff are cut from the same hypersensitive and condescending cloth aren't they. Please do not question them. They are only slumming here. Don't you get it it?

What's wrong with you people?

yes, lighten up, everyone!!!

what i don't understand is, if they're not joan's prints (i'm not saying that they are), how did she get "cruelty" published without getting into legal trouble? not that i even care who took the damn photos at this point...

here's another buk and georgia image from the book:

ScannedImage.jpg

Jesus, ALL I saw in James #18 (6/19/07) post was his reference to the mystery man Geoff not "having introduced himself."
(By the way, where is mama's boy?) I didn't see there was anything else, such as "a link to joan levine telling her version of that night in buk's kitchen."
(would love to see it though). Was I looking at the wrong "post 18?"
So, James, I am truly sorry to have offended you and for the confusion! I will immediately go beat myself soundly across the nose with a wet newspaper. My wry sense of humor doesn't always come across as intended. I wasn't trying to "jump on you."
MJP, I enjoyed your early comedy & pissing on Geoff, as well as the Art of you hand-sewn poetry editions; very fine work!
I don't know shit about forums, how they work, and the only thing I know about threads are the one's my ex left me with. Perhaps I should use little smiley faces in the future? Maybe I'll get "defriended" next! One has to see some irony in being accused of "slumming here?" (#46).
So, we could get back to the story? I think this all started with one mans interest in getting a print of Buk and Georgia (I believe anybody who wants one should be able to get one), a 25 year mystery of "missing" negatives, questionable attributions of copyright, son's of vagabonds, and twists of fate. Maybe nobody cares. Anybody, can put their name on one of your poems, publish it and claim it as theirs (doesn't make it so). If 25 years later it turns out to be historically significant (who would have imagined it back then?) you might feel strongly about it now too? I had hoped by coming forward now, I might be able to enlist some support from the Buk community, drag Levine, et al out into the light and to finally make this right. As I said before, it could be fun?
As for Ulvis, he gave up on this mess 20+ years ago because its generally all you can do just to pay the bills, hang the next exhibition, not worry about the blood in your piss, or the last asshole that screwed you on a photo-deal. Karma happens. So, what say you all?

Exactly.

I wonder if it is possible for you to get to the point (if you have one)? You have typed and typed and said nothing. One line about a possibly distinctive flash pattern. I'm not sure what you're looking for here, or what you are trying to say.

What, by the way, is the "historic significance" of any of Ulvis Alberts' Bukowski photos? There are thousands of pictures of Bukowski, and his don't necessarily stand out as significant. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - anybody. Not that they are bad, they're fine. Typical. Ordinary. But significant? No.

gene, i still have no idea what you're talking about. you mention my post 18 from 6/19/07? i didn't even join the forum until december 2007. you were somehow looking at the wrong post.
this image is all i was pointing you to. it's from a book. by joan levine. called "the cruelty of loveless love." it contains many pictures "taken" by "her". no one else(so the book claims). about a dozen are from the night in question.

ok, hank solo beat me to it!

hankgeorgia.jpg

The Georgia Hubbard Bukowski photo is very significant. Maybe not in a historical way but that photo is indicative of the Bukowski persona. (if there is such a thing.)

It's probably the most well known photo of Bukowski. It's surely one of them...

(it was also the first photo of Buk I saw, together with a few Buk quotes in a German ad for one of his books in the late seventies. It was enough to stir my interest and the rest is history, as they say.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably the most well known photo of Bukowski.
Possibly.

But then again, this image has been viewed 17 million times in the past 12 months, so maybe it is the most well-known image of Bukowski. ;)

bukheadlong.jpg

I didn't say the Bukowski/Georgia picture is not iconic, it is. It just isn't significant. It's not important in Bukowski's history or to his story. At all.

---

I finally remembered where I had contact with Gene in the past. It was an email some years ago that I think was sent from an eBay auction. I asked him a question about a print or something, and he answered me with a tirade threatening to beat me up if I tried to stop his auction.

I wasn't trying to stop his auction, I was asking a question, but okay. I'll have to find that email. Maybe it will add to the fascinating story here.

Georgia Hubbard looks like a floozy barfly. That is significant enough because she is pictured with Bukowski who wrote about characters that we would imagine to look like her.

If you put a picture of old man Fletcher up there 17 million views of him would have occurred.
I do not stand corrected.

Wow, MJP you're something else man. Un F'n believable! I do hope you can find that email because your accusation that I would "threaten to beat you up" over an eBay listing is about as insane and absurd as Levin's claims over copyright, which, once again IS the TOPIC here. Can't we stay focused on that? Or do you just want to belittle me every chance you have? Why continue to choose to make this a personal thing? But what the hell; lets get it on. I tried to be civil. WWBD? I want to tell a story. You don't care? Then STFU! Or better yet... Tell you what my friend, why not drop A.D. Winans a note with all your narcissistic, misguided, youthful, condescending, anger, and angst toward me and my defense of my father Ulvis's work. Bleed your heart with out my alleged "threats of beating you up," slights of character, misunderstandings (that I've already apologized for). See what his response is to you. A.D. knows us well and loves Ulvis. I'm sure he'll have something, as you say, "fascinating" to add to the story and your concerns. Go ahead MJP!

All this colostomy bag drainage reminds me of this Japanese freak jack-off about two years ago when I was trying sell my only copy on eBay of a Buk and Georgia poster given to me by Ulvis in 1985. It must have been an "artists proof" as it had NO printing at all on it. Just Ulvis's bold signature lower right. This Jap-Buk freak, who I later learned was well known in many chat rooms, drove me crazy with insults, bullshit, endless questions, and mindgames. Thankfully, some sane person bought it for a fare price, although I still don't think he understood the value of what he had in that particular poster.

Sorry James, I was just looking at the little number in the upper right hand corner in the dark grey area that says #59 #60... #18... What am I missing in my early altzhiemer years?

I want to tell a story.
What are you waiting for?

...why not drop A.D. Winans a note...
I would, but that would just result in twenty or thirty emails from him browbeating me me to promote his work or buy his books, and that makes me uncomfortable. I've been down the email-from-Winans road, and I felt lucky to escape. I'm not going back there.

Please, carry on. I didn't mean to distract from your preface to talking about preparing to almost tell a story.

Wow. I'm getting the characters mixed up in this one. Ulvis's son and that other lady's son or grandson. The Jap-Buk freak is all our fault? There may be more confusion than that.

So there you have it, the definitive shocking, untold story ("a strobe of some type - placed just left and overhead of camera or bounced off ceiling.") of the historic photo that has launched a thousand inquiries!

Or at least two.

Not much to it, but you read it here first.

I crawled through this thread hoping Gene was going to post some unseen photo's, or tell us how the story ends.

Now I've got to the end, I'm as disappointed as the man who followed the nice wiggle for miles only to finally find the face doesn't match the cheeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back