Charles Bukowski & Georgia Hubbard (2 Viewers)

I didn't say the Bukowski/Georgia picture is not iconic, it is. It just isn't significant. It's not important in Bukowski's history or to his story. At all.

mjp - Have to disagree with this. When you think of Bukowski's alter ego you think of Chinaski. This is Buk role-playing that part.

Wow, MJP you're something else man. Un F'n believable!
Yes, well, your father thought so anyway. Look, he wrote this blurb for one of my books 14 or 15 years ago:

"Let me tip the hat to the poet Michael Phillips! The book - alternative man was a great read - I'm going to share his stuff with my crowd." - Ulvis Alberts

Sorry (kind of) to dredge up this thread again, but I came across the quote today - I had forgotten about it - and couldn't resist.

i know i don't get it either! too many families and sons and who cares about a picture anyway. just take another picture,, get over it you know?.

saturday means pig out party and rage! no time to think time to par-tay!

for sure! ha haha but no way i can stay by the computer. my peeps need me. i have the
map to the new dive bar out in bumfuk. but thanx for RAGING! fuks yea..

ne1 into fixies here?

Untitled-1.jpg

Just bought that said poster,signed and dated,Ulvis Alberts 1977 in the bottom right hand corner.Can be found at 'Gregor rare books' priced at 250 dollars.Google it.
Delighted with it.Excellent quality,keeping Mahatma Gandhi company in my living room.
Bukowski sure keeps strange company eh?
Anyone else own one, and does anyone know how many of those signed prints are about?
Cheers,
Everready

Did you buy yours from GRB? Gregor has some great stuff, but expect to pay a high premium, it seems to be their business model. Still, that's a pretty rare poster. Funny how their site describes it as 'Poster-size photograph of Bukowski & Transvestite'.

Hi,
It is always best to post the question here first. I am a seller of photographs by Ulvis Alberts. I sell the poster for $75 and have at least a half a dozen here in my house. They also show up from the publisher on ebay all the time for about $40.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad about the purchase, but a quick e-mail would have let you know the availability of this poster.

EDIT: Is this the poster that was folded? I see that he is offering that for $250. I have the posters form the same shoot, but without Georgia in them.

Best,
Bill

Hello Bill,
i assure you i feel no remorse my friend.
Georgia completes the picture.
However i assure you, i did search all the net,for the longest of time for that poster.
Remember my friend,a bottle of wine may sell for 1 euro, and another bottle of wine may sell for 300 euro,both go by the same name, as wine.HOWEVER......

Someone should make a movie about that fucking picture. It seems to captivate people in a black magic kind of way, all out of proportion to what it actually is. The movie could be called BUKOWSKI AND THE TRANSVESTITE and Howie Sounes could direct it and verify that every frame is true and accurate.

There is a book that will come out one day (hopefully) that tells the story of the picture from the inside. Maybe those few paragraphs about the magic picture will catapult the book to the best seller list and initiate another round of worldwide hysteria.

Maybe Dan Brown could write it; The Bukowski Code or The Lost Refrigerator or something better and funnier than those two.

It is strange, the effect that horrible photo has.

I'm with William S. Burg on this one; Hammer it down!

The worst is that she is called a transvestite. Mainly because it is just not true. If she was a transvestite, it would be one thing, but to doubt that she is even a woman is cruel. Of course, most people hear it and repeat it. It is not a conspiracy against her, of course.

Now, if they google search this, hopefully they will get bukowski.net, where all rumors are fleshed out and all truths known.

Bill

Someone should make a movie about that fucking picture.
If Buk-related I'd certainly check out the movie and book. Don't worship the picture but am fond of it (my favorite being Buk pictured sitting at the typewriter looking at issues of The Outsider). Obviously the pic is a case of beauty in the eye of the beholder, it strikes me as a snapshot straight out of one his stories. Pick a favored author, poet, painter or such and google image that person and generally you get the 'obligatory intellectual pose' - tiresome. Bukowski didn't mind being pictured in a non-flattering manner - this prior to the paparazzi sticking its eye up the ass 24-7. Imagine one of Academia's chosen being pictured so - Buk is embracing his readership in the photo. He wrote for Georgia, not the Harvard Review.

Buk is embracing his readership in the photo. He wrote for Georgia, not the Harvard Review.
Well, he didn't write for either, and I'm pretty sure that he would have rather eaten broken glass than embrace his readership, but that's the problem with the picture isn't it. It's just more myth building. He made himself available to anyone who walked in off the street for many reasons, and he was not above using people as props to elicit reactions from "regular" folks. You can see many examples of that in his own writing and in the stories in the biographies.

People pushed themselves onto him for their own reasons, he didn't choose most of them, and Georgia was no different. If you think he really enjoyed being accessible like that, ask yourself why he left East Los Angeles the minute he had enough money to do so. It wasn't to buy a house. He could have bought a house two blocks from the DeLongpre bungalow. And it wasn't for convenience - San Pedro is a long, tedious drive from everywhere. It was to escape the people who gravitated to him. Like Georgia. And you and me.

Well, he didn't write for either, and I'm pretty sure that he would have rather eaten broken glass than embrace his readership, but that's the problem with the picture isn't it. It's just more myth building.
There's a bit in the Sounes bio where Carl Weissner gives his take on why Buk is so popular in Germany - lacking political-correctness, genuine, blue-collar, without affectation, so on (from a cultural standpoint - a breath of fresh air). And Buk being a damn good writer didn't hurt. These reasons translate across borders. Most readers of Buk don't give a farthing for the myth aspect. They just want the genuine, lack of pretense reading. They see that, also, with the Georgia photo - he is, in a sense, embracing his readership. Take it or leave it.:)

Most readers of Buk don't give a farthing for the myth aspect.

Many of his readers believe that he died poor and in the gutter. To them, he was Mickey Rourke until the day that he died. I have had more than a few of his readers say that he would be PISSED to know that his books were selling for so much. These are the same folks that steal Bukowski books from the library and then brag about it, convinced that it would make Buk proud.

I would say that most of his readers that are on this forum don;t care about the myth aspect, buy I still bet that most people, when they are caught reading Bukowski and the person asks him about it will say that he was a drunk womanizer poet from skid row. They do not often say that he was a man who wrote beautiful poetry, they mention the seedy myth stuff.

Of course, this is all just generalizing people. Chuck would HATE me for doing that.

Bill

Bill, I think you need some inverted commas for your 'Chuck' there... Ponder has a whole stash of them, and I'm sure he'll send some over gratis ;)

Hank,

I also use ; instead of ', so I don;t really need the ' on my keyboard. I should just take if off and throw it away, or try to use it in some multimedia art project.

I do not use the ; on purpose. I type fast and am accurate, but for some reason, I miss the ' by one key all of the time....

Not sure why as that is the only one that gives me such a problem.

I still love Selby's use of the / in place of ', which is also very close to the ' key.
Bill

I know these ``` are apostrophes for use instead of a letter/letters like in "Don't", but what are those ''' for? They can't be quotation marks because they look like this """.

I think that it is a difference in font style? Some look like a straight up and down, while others have a slant. My keyboard types "Don't" like this. I'm not even sure how to get the word "Don't" to appear like yours does.

Bill

what are those ''' for?

Those are tick marks. They're often used to denote feet (in measurement, not those things at the ends of your legs) or time. They also serve as sort of a generic apostrophe and typically in web browsers this is how an apostrophe will appear.

Proper curly quotes and apostrophes can look weird in unexpected ways in a web browser because of cross-platform issues. PCs and Macs have slightly different character sets, though since Macs now run on top of a Unix framework, there's not usually any issues of this sort between those platforms (Linux included). Also, word processing and page layout programs on a Mac will usually recognize the context and automatically put in curly quotes when it's appropriate, so the [ ' ] key is all you usually need.

And by the way, [ ` ] is not an apostrophe... it's a grave accent used in composite characters. When it leans the opposite way [ ' ] it's called an acute accent (and is also, properly, used to denote feet while this [ ˝ ] (not sure what this one's called... probably something like a venti latté) is properly used to denote inches. Notice that none of these characters curl, so they're not quotation marks or apostrophes, though with some fonts there is no curl to those marks.

Confused yet?

Finally, due to the platform issues I mentioned, you may not be seeing the same marks on your PC that I typed on my Mac, while someone on a Mac most likely will unless they're using a font that doesn't include those marks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's called accent circonflexe
I call it a little roof.

In French they use the ^ quite often.

In my "own" language it's not so common anymore
but we still use the little roof in words like enquête.

What's the devil's advocate font? This? ^ ^ or this? on hiatus.
Ho ho ho, ha ha ha. Yes, lets bring back all those poor, misunderstood devil's advocates who were wrongly turned away. Whatever happened to FREE SPEECH, anyway? What is this, Nazi Germany???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back