Charles Bukowski & Georgia Hubbard (1 Viewer)

I think that it is a difference in font style? Some look like a straight up and down, while others have a slant. My keyboard types "Don't" like this. I'm not even sure how to get the word "Don't" to appear like yours does.
I see. I have both signs on my keyboard. I regard this '' as in "don't" as an apostrophe although a real apostrophe probably should curl like a comma does, but I guess that depends on the font.

Those are tick marks. They're often used to denote feet (in measurement, not those things at the ends of your legs) or time. They also serve as sort of a generic apostrophe and typically in web browsers this is how an apostrophe will appear.
Aha, so those ''' are tick marks! I've often seen people use them as apostrophes, mostly by English speakers.

Confused yet?
I'm certainly getting there! :D - Thanks a lot for your explanations.
I know the acute accent sign but as for the tick mark and the other signs I would need to see some examples to see how they're used.

There is a book that will come out one day (hopefully) that tells the story of the picture from the inside. Maybe those few paragraphs about the magic picture will catapult the book to the best seller list and initiate another round of worldwide hysteria.
I have an idea.

Write it yourself, entitle it I hate this picture! and ask Pierre & Gilles to customize the photo for the cover.

Oh and don't forget your friend the smiley. It will make the difference.

Was going to respond to Bill's post but thought it would venture in to devil's advocate territory to keep beating the drum to a beat that in the grand scheme of things wasn't all that important. In the end, the pic of Buk and Georgia is just a shot of two people having a good time. The pic has character. Now show me the pic of Buk with Madonna and I'm possibly going to cringe at that 'fucking picture.'

Now show me the pic of Buk with Madonna and I'm possibly going to cringe at that 'fucking picture.'

cringe

buk-penn-madonna.jpg

Every one of you schmoes would have sold your sold to Beelzebub for a single night with 1980s Madonna, so don't come on all high and mighty!

Me, I'm into 2010 Madonna...

madonna1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back