Cheers Bukowski.net (1 Viewer)

New blood here . . . just wanted to start off by saying 'hello.' I had no idea this site existed, but I stumbled upon it several days ago, and have been engrossed ever since.

What a tremendous resource!

Thank you. Thank you for creating this space, for maintaining it, and for sharing your considerable wealth of communal knowledge on Bukowski. You can tell that it's a labour of love; it shows. The site is a gem.

Okay, so maybe a little about me . . . I went through a Bukowski 'phase' about fifteen years ago. Started with a small reference in Stanley Aronowitz's False Promises that led me to Post Office. I loved it, and from there I devoured the other novels, followed by the short story collections, and finally the letters, in rapid succession. I only really scratched the surface of the poetry.

I then sold all my Bukowski books during a move and worked my way through school. Didn't have much time for literature. Recently I started to re-read him. I think it was the humor that brought me back more than anything else. Buk just makes me laugh, and that is a rare and beautiful thing in my experience. Anyway, I've found him even more poignant the second time around.

So here I am at Buk.net, trying to learn more about the man and his work.

To pay the bills I teach part time and sell books online. ABE and Amazon. Mostly scholarly non-fiction stuff. My Buk books are just to read, but I also collect Jim Thompson and Charles Willeford. If you know those two writers it's probably not a surprise that Pulp is my favorite Buk book.

Anyway, that's enough about me. Cheers. Hello. And thanks again.

Thanks Black Swan. I'm looking foward to delving into Buk's poetry more deeply. It will keep me busy for awhile. And what I can't find in the books, I can find here on the site . . . very cool!

Yes, a good intro. The site is a vast treasure trove of Bukowski lore. Liking Pulp as you do, have you checked out the HBO series Bored To Death? It's tongue in cheek pulpish in a gentle literary way, and funny. They even knock Kindles and lament the death of books and magazines. Anyway, welcome.

Welcome aboard, Gunn! You've found the best and largest Bukowski site on the net. There's enough info here to keep you occupied for a very long time.
Ps. I like Pulp too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Liking Pulp as you do, have you checked out the HBO series Bored To Death? It's tongue in cheek pulpish in a gentle literary way, and funny. They even knock Kindles and lament the death of books and magazines.

I haven't heard of Bored to Death, but I like HBO series, especially The Wire and I've even gotten into the new one: Boardwalk Empire. Anyway, Bored to Death sounds good. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

And thanks everybody for making me feel welcome.

Rekrab,

Did you happen to catch the Bored to Death episode a few weeks ago where Jonathon and his girlfriend mentioned Bukowski?

thanks nado!

I hadn't heared about 'Bored to Death' before last month, (we don't have it in Germany I think. Not sure though.) when I was in L.A. and had the opportunity to watch a couple of episodes. Didn't make me a BIG fan, but sure was some fun.

Having them talking about Bukowski - of course - makes me lift my head and get my ears sharpened.
I'll have a try to get this episode.
It's part of my job to collect everything Bukowski I can get hold of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back