Crass....yes very crass! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jennn

I recently read some of his poetry and I felt like I was lookin back into one of my journals. Crass....yes very crass! I have never read any of his books yet...I can't wait to do so. Anyone have a good one for me to start with????????

Crass!

Crass is an old punk band and I read an article once that Bukowski's writings were some of their biggest influences. It was a play on words in my own mind. I talk to myself a lot and forget that not everyone speaks the same intraverted language as I. Sorry for the confusion. I do however think that we can all be or act "crass" when given the right circumstances combined with hard liquor..............So......do you have a recomendation for my first Bukowski book???????

And while i'm thinking about it.....from Bukowski's poetry that I have read...I wouldnt exactly consider it "refined"....but then again, I do believe that is hugely the appeal! Do you disagree?

i'd say a great place to start is Notes of a Dirty Old Man. it's got a little bit of everything...

I used to be a Crass fan too (way back when). In retrospect, the packaging was better than the music, but still...

Both of the suggestions above are good starting points, but if we're talking novels, I'd say start with Ham On Rye. If poetry, Mockingbird Wish Me Luck. Short stories -- South of No North.

Welcome. Who is that pictured in your avatar? Is that you?

You may want to read a couple of Bukowski's novels and more of his poetry before you establish an opinion. It's like judging him based on his complexion alone. You know what I mean. Enjoy the reading.

Hi Jennn !
I think like James , "Notes of a dirty old man" . It was my first BUK book and then I read all the other stuff .

Is that really the word you wanted to use?

actually I ment=introverted

Too much whisky n fags last night!!! Ill make sure to put my spell check on just 4 you luv!!! I wouldnt want you to miss a "beet" hehe!!

I always recommend "Love Is A Dog From Hell." It's the first book I read back in 1992 and I was hooked/a Bukowski junkie from the first poem. So for some reason I always feel it's a great one to start with, as long as you don't mind starting with poetry. As others have said here, if you pick a novel first, "Ham On Rye" is a good starting point.

crass |kras|
adjective
lacking sensitivity, refinement, or intelligence
In German, the word 'krass' would mean 'extreme'. (without an estimation - could be used in a positive as well as in a negative connotation.)

In a German conversation about Buk, the word could easily come up.

Like:
"Have you read this novel, where he's banging all these women" - "Yeah, that was krass."
or:
"Have you read that novel, where he has to do all these mindkilling night-shifts at the post office?" - "Hell yeah! That was krass!"
or:
"Man, how he still writes so intense about his old love Jane even so many years after her death - that's krass!"

Who is that pictured in your avatar? Is that you?
Looks like Betty P. to me.

That's what I myself first thought but in the "what I am having for dinner" thread, mjp identified her as being Dita Von Teese. If you have a look at jennn's profile, you'll discover the same image in a bigger size and see that he was right.

I see you are paying close attention to mjp, Ambreen. That's good. That's the way your new master expects you to act. I see the indoctrination is going well.

In German, the word 'krass' would mean 'extreme'. (without an estimation - could be used in a positive as well as in a negative connotation.)

Thank you!!!!! Someone gets it!!! That is Dita...however I love the whole Betty Page thing....very sexy indeed!

That's right, Jennnn. No one, except mjp. You see, mjp is the exception that confirms the rule. :)

I see the kindergarten is wide open again!!!!!!!!!!

Okay- welcomy to the forum, Jenny. I hope you
start reading Bukowski as soon as possible.
It will change your life.
enjoy, enjoy

You ho ! I can read your threads and posts again, Jennn ! How strange ! I've relieved myself ! Yet I won't be satisfied till I won't have any explosion for two days.

I see the kindergarten is wide open again!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah ! Ho, the unruly kid isn't pleased to go back skool and has turned a trick on me :
I confess I take some delight in contradicting him. But he is always right.
He has changed my words. I wrote : But he is beautiful and always correct .

NO one is always right!!!
That's wrong, Jennn. mjp is always right. You see, mjp is the exception that confirms the rule.

Of course, if he's devilish enough to rock my worlds, he's as well devilish enough to conceal Jennn's posts from me. Thus, he's the master of me and mine. Gladfully .

Same theory that everyone else is crazy except me!

So your saying that he can dish it out but he can't take it?

I think I've had too many bloody marys this afternoon!!!!!!! Oh yeah and I couldnt spell my way out of a paper sack! SORRY YA'LL

FemaleAssFan would do nicely, but Jennnfan? Now you're being rude, Gerard! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ambreen, maybe you shouldn't take so much of, well, whatever it is you take. You seem to be kind of losing it.

But try to imagine the same situation happening to you. It is funny the first time. After, it just gets on your nerves.

For some reasons, I'm currently stressed ; taking part to Buk.net usually relaxes me. But when I see my posts changed (and some words sometimes replaced by coarse ones), it's the opposite effect, I feel disturbed and more confused than I already am.

I'm not a troll, I'm really interested by this website, I share the Buk articles I possess with the other members.
So why ?

But when I see my posts changed (and some words sometimes replaced by coarse ones), it's the opposite effect, I feel disturbed and more confused than I already am.
Okay, heres the deal......Its really LAME to have to change someone elses words to make yourself seem "cool"...expecially on a site specifically designed for writers and readers.....It seems that all the B.S. is coming from the older men. Mabey it's a midlife crisis or just plain ole feelings of inadiquesy. Whatever the reason it's really ignorant!

Soooo you see Ambreem, it doesn't matter what they do or say......we're hip to their gig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont worry girl....I got ur back!

Yes, most of the men on this forum are older than you two. I'm not sure that we have many members younger than you two, so you would have to be more specific. You are very young, I believe.

Also, Jennnnn, please spellcheck. (Mabey, Inadiquesy, expecially).

Bill

edit: I see that Jennnn is 35 years old, so she may think that the rest of us are all ancient, but I'm only 4 years older than Jennnn.

Spell check? Really? Use your imagination!!!! Did Burroughs use spell check? If you dont have anything to pick on except my spelling....Well.....Find a new angel!!!! I will spell check no longer! Get over it! Do you not understand what I mean?
Your a smart boy!!! And while were talking about things to get over, well.....i'm pushing 40 years old so..................I aint that young!!!!!!! Now, whatcha got?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back