Crazy Love (1 Viewer)

Hello To All! I got to watch this film on x-mas eve and was, to say the least, very impressed! I liked it better than Factotum, hands down. The acting was sublime, esp. the lead actor playing 'Bukowski'. I was struck at the resemblance, not between him and C. Bukowski, but how much he looked like Buk's Dad.
Powerful story, even if one is not into Bukowski. My 18 year old daughter and her girlfriend watched most of it with me, and they were at least, somewhat enthralled. The humor of Bukowski's writings comes through strong and genuine. The hard/earthy emotion of it is also very much at the surface.
Perfect.
I've always loved to see others' interpretations of written works, and these guys did it without flaw. In relation to that, I had nver read, 'The Copulating Mermaid Of Venice, CA' ; so Chrstmas day I started searching my books for the story. Couldn't find it, I gave up, thinking I didn't have it in any of my collection. Later, I was searching for the books(Yes, I'm very disorganized), I bought for my Brother as X-mas gifts, and down spilled a small bag o' stuff, and out fell- 'The Most Beautiful Woman In Town'. Needless to say, it was a happy Bukowski moment for me! I read it on the spot, as the x-mas bird went un-basted for 15 mins...:D
If you like Bukowski, you MUST see this film! My edition is from- MONDOMACABRO

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! CRB:)

I want to see that movie. It has been brought up a few times before around here, these here parts.

I rented a movie Crazylove. Wrong! It was horrible, maybe worse.

Co-Star Meat Loaf!:eek:Oh MY!!! And who the fuck is Bruno Campos?? Jeeze, that was a knuckle-headed move! CRB:)
Try to find the REAL one K., you will be a much happier movie watcher!

Rent this one instead. I liked it.

Okay, I saw it and I liked it- on the level of looking at an amazing car accident. I vaguely remember the story as it was happening, you know seeing those newspapers in the checkout line at the grocery store. It is a well made documentary.
Thank you Chronic.

Dominique Deruddere on Crazy love & more

BUKOWSKI

Crazy Love was born out of the 1985 short Foggy Night which in turn was inspired by US writer Charles Bukowski's 'The Copulating Mermaid Of Venice, California' about a man who falls in love with the corpse of a beautiful, dead woman. The short got financed in a somewhat roundabout way. Deruddere had originally won a grant from the Flemish Film Commission to make a film based on another Bukowski short story 'The Great Zen Wedding'. After the funding came through, Deruddere read 'The Copulating Mermaid...' and decided he wanted to adapt that story instead. Production went ahead of the new adaptation but no mention of the change was made to the Film Commission. 'How do I explain,' says Provoost. 'It wasn't anything like 'The Great Zen Wedding' and it was a very risky story. We owe much to the people of the Film Commission. We invited them in one by one. We showed them the film and told them we had changed it a lot. We never told them we used a different story. We simply said we had ended up in a different place.' Fortunately, the commission agreed on the quality of the production and did not ask for a refund. At this point, Provoost suggested developing the short into a full-length feature. The resulting three-part picture follows protagonist Harry Voss at three key moments in his life. The first episode charts Harry's sexual awakening at age 12 and is inspired by Deruddere's own childhood. Episode two joins Harry as a gangling, acne-ridden 19-year-old and is loosely based on Bukowski's semiautobiographical 'Ham on Rye'. The third captures Harry's fatal descent into necrophilia. Lauded by the critics, the film won the Best Directing Award at the San Sebastian Film Festival in 1987. The film went on to be sold to some 15 territories, including the US, and became something of a cult picture. Josse de Pauw,who played Harry Voss as an adult, received the first of two Joseph Plateau Awards he would win working with
Deruddere.

The complete article: http://www.flanders-image.com/content/seetool_media/pdf/Flanders_iMAGe_issue_02_01.pdf
Page 12-15.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I saw it and I liked it- on the level of looking at an amazing car accident. I vaguely remember the story as it was happening, you know seeing those newspapers in the checkout line at the grocery store. It is a well made documentary.
Thank you Chronic.

I just watched this one last night. Sad and disturbing to be sure. What a couple of characters! And boy o' boy, didn't they do quite the talk show run! Very weird story, very well made CRB:)

Crazy Love is my favourite Bukowski adaption. I just love the scene where the two old friends spot each other across the crowded bar.

I might watch that again tonight. I'm not a big football fan. ;)

Saw Crazy Love last night and I give it an A. Very well made, moving film. Although it's set in Finland(?) and is very European in feel, it's closer to the general mood and sensibility of Bukowski than lesser efforts like Factotum. The scene where the main character wraps his head in toilet paper like a mummy and asks the girl to dance is sheer genius. This and Barfly are my favorite Bukowski film adaptations.

The scene where the main character wraps his head in toilet paper like a mummy and asks the girl to dance is sheer genius.

Yes, nice scene, although the scene is not in 'Ham On Rye'.
The film is one of the best adaptations of Buk's work, no doubt. I especially liked segment two and three.

Ah -- Belgium. I wasn't sure about the locale. I'd read the film was funded by the Flemish film board, or something like that.

Thanks, because I can't get access to Piratebay over here. It's been blocked by our authorities after they lost a court case.

Thanks wsj. Now does anyone have a link to the movie itself? Have actually nevver seen it. Curious now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back