Favourite Picture of Bukowski (1 Viewer)

G

GDPR 4124

Hello everybody,

I didn't find any other similar thread, after circa 30 seconds of searching, so I thought why not start one. What's your favourite picture of Buk?

Here's my shot for the day:
0buk.jpg

"Bukowski at work"

My source: http://thisisnthappiness.com/post/73180182056/bukowski-at-work

bukowski-and-georgiapeckham-krellner.jpg

I love this photo, it summarizes his hobbies pretty well: booze, smokes, whores...
source
P.S. Am I the only one who believes Buk's head was photoshopped on someone else's body here?
:eek:

The Buk - Georgia photo is one of my favorite Buk photos. Maybe it's because it was the first photo I ever saw of Buk back in 1978-79.

It's really a shame that my account statement doesn't look as great as those photos...

Yes, if one can find and access those negatives.
No need to find and access the negatives, the prints are sitting in envelopes on my kitchen table.

For now.

I've been doing some cleaning up of things, so I'm giving the prints that I have left here back to Mat (if he wants them back, which I assume he will), so this is kind of last call. But then these were never a hot item, so I don't expect they will be now. Go figure.
That was the show that had our two photogravure projects...
Yes, you've mentioned that.

Yes, you've mentioned that.
Ah, the ravages of age...reminds me of a favorite WC Fields scene. He walks in to a bar where Shemp Howard is barkeep. He asks, "Was I in here the other night and did I spend twenty dollars?" Shemp replies that he indeed did do so. To which Fields replies, "Thank god. I thought I'd lost it."
Is photogravure an option on instagram? My selfies are way weak.
Stick with the camera. Photogravures are time-consuming and involve the use of toxic chemicals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this photo, it summarizes his hobbies pretty well: booze, smokes, whores...:eek:
It is a great photo. True about the booze and the smokes. The woman is Georgia Peckham. Actually, she was not a whore. She was Cupcakes's girlfriend. She knew that Bukowski was a hot poet. You can read about it in "Scarlet", memoir written by Pamela "Cupcakes" Wood's. Good read, btw.

I know who Georgia Peckham-Krellner was, but she looks like a whore a little bit in that picture. I read about Mrs. Peckham-Krellner in Sounes' (Sounes's?) biography and I finished Scarlet a month ago (was lucky enough to grab the last copy of the book they had at The Book Depository).

Glad that you could get a copy of Scarlet.
Me too, it's a great book and I was pleasantly surprised by Mrs. Wood's writing skills.

I ordered it early in November, TBD took the money from my account only to inform me the book was not available any more. I had to e-mail them before they made the refund, but at the end they did so. A month passed and I clicked on TBD Scarlet link again and it was seemingly available again. I e-mailed their customer service and got the information that only one copy of Scarlet was available but they said they couldn't have kept it reserved for me. So, I made the final desperate attempt to grab the memoir and ordered it for the second time in a month, having hoped somebody else wouldn't have beaten me to it. I was (finally!) lucky enough to buy the last copy of Scarlet in store (at that time).
:)

P.S. I just checked and the book is there once again. For €10.59.

Last edited:
she looks like a whore a little bit in that picture.
What does a whore look like?

You would have seen what she's wearing in that picture on hundreds of girls walking around Hollywood in the early 70s. Georgia might have been a little, I don't know, advanced in age to be wearing it, but it wouldn't have been unusual or "whorish" in the context of the times.

Joan Gannij, who took the iconic Georgia/Bukowski photo, said of Georgia, "Though she may have looked the part, Georgia was no prostitute or junkie. More of a down on her luck urban gypsy hooked on speed, a habit that made her so thin that her skin hung loose from her torso. Her face was almost like a mask, grotesque one moment, weirdly handsome the next." (Beatscene No.22)

yep, nice physical resemblance.

The one important difference is, that Hoggle does barely have any morals beyond his own advantage (at least not during the most part of the movie, till shortly towards the finish).
While this other guy, the one in the left row, this Bukowski-guy, had Always been authentic and true to his own morals and beliefs;, never to be bribed or bought.

But beside that, I like this comparison, somehow.

1515615826597.png

This picture reminds me of an interview with Carl Weissner published in Beat Scene (March 2004). Kevin Ring asked Weissner: "What are your abiding memories of him?"
Weissner: "Here is one of my lasting memories of him: In the Fall of 1978 we are driving through the rolling hills east of Heidelberg, it's a Sunday afternoon, and he gets thirsty. We come to this small town on the Neckar River - and the pubs are closed. We're about to start cursing the Fatherland, and the Catholic Church, when we discover a small place that has stayed open, in flagrant violation of the law that regulates behavior on Sundays. It's easy to see why - this place serves the truly terminally serious drinkers. A drab room with large round tables, one drinker to a table, stoic, in total silence. Buk immediately felt at home. He got his own table, and a big solid goblet, full to the brim, of the local Riesling. Never have I seen a man so in peace with himself. He could stay here for the rest of his life."

It's funny because I haven't thought about Bukowski in Pictures in a long while but I remember how much in awe I was when I got it around 2002 or 2003 or something. Back then it was some of the rarest photos of Bukowski you could get anywhere.

Goes to show how young the internet was back then. Now one google search gives you complete abundance of Bukowski pics.

There are 4 million taco stands in Los Angeles, one for each resident. When you buy a house or rent an apartment they assign your stand to you.

Or so it would seem, anyway.

The rest of the pictures in that group were taken on the Catalina Island trip, so I assume that one was too. But it could be anywhere.

It's funny because I haven't thought about Bukowski in Pictures in a long while but I remember how much in awe I was when I got it around 2002 or 2003 or something. Back then it was some of the rarest photos of Bukowski you could get anywhere.

Goes to show how young the internet was back then. Now one google search gives you complete abundance of Bukowski pics.
True! I watched a doc yesterday and they are talking of a possible intergalactic net. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back