For Jane - my interpretation (1 Viewer)

You should concentrate on your main project.

That was painful.

"Based around bukowski" my ass.

Sounds like the singer fell down into a well or something. You might want to help him out...

Nah, on second thought, just leave him in there. He'll stop screaming eventually.

Ha ha ha!

Wait a minute, wait a minute - I think we have a winner!

That is, hands down, the most awe-inspiringly awful piece of cringe-inducing dog shit ever "inspired by" or "based" on anything Bukowski ever did. Ever. In all of recorded history. Including VALERIAN!

"Dog shit" doesn't even really do it justice. It's more like a dog took a shit, ate his own shit, puked it up, ate the puke and then sprayed it all out as diarrhea on your living room rug. Then he pissed on it. And died. And laid there for a month decomposing before anyone found him.

Only worse.

Seriously.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree.

If you took a bolt cutter and threatened to cut off my fingers if I didn't listen to either the screeching dog shit of INTO THE SUN or VALERIAN, I would have to choose VALERIAN. Assuming of course I only have to listen to VALERIAN for as long as this "song" lasts (5:44 - jesus christ!). I could take that.

I might make you cut off one finger - just so I know you're serious - before agreeing to listen to either one of them, but I have to say VALERIAN beats this.

And you know it hurts me to say that.

I don't have speakers on this computer so thanks for the warnings.

Do you think anyone will ever come in here with their very first post and have a hit? There was a three part movie recently that was pretty good. But that was a short story put on film not a poem put to music.

Yeah, I didn't care for it either. But I also wonder: When/How is it appropriate to base your creative work on the work of another artist ?

For example, Liz Phair's "Exile In Guyville" was a song-for-song response to the Stones' "Exile On Main Street". And that concept worked.... ONCE. As far as I know, nobody else after her selected classic rock albums and wrote out "responses" to them. I acknowledge the gimmickry of that album and while I personally approve of EIG, I'm also glad that it didn't start a trend.

Jazz players constantly "quote" other lines/melodies within their solos. I think that's a given.

As I'm writing this, I realize the examples I cite are artists referencing within the same artistic discipline. Maybe it becomes a problem when musicians quote poets, writers etc..

I don't know - it's a tricky business, this basing your work on the work of another. Be careful kids....

Sorry, I couldn't listen to more than 30 seconds of it. Maybe music isn't your strongsuit, as they say.

'based on' just means i used his lyrics.

the singing is supposed to be screeching its hardcore brah

plus none of you can deny how cold the beat is and the music sounds tight as fuck. maybe listen to a little more bad brains, david bowie type shit and you will understand vocals like that. i'm sure most of you are old fucks

yes. none of us has listened to Bowie or Bad Brains.

we're very sorry.

but maybe if you could drop a little more stone cold Perry Como in this mofo, or tight as fuck Bing Crosby? then we could roll with that, the cane and wheelchair crowd that we are.

I don't care that your shit is mediocre, there's thousands of bands that are mediocre, just don't put your band in the same sentence as Bad Brains and Bowie.

o, and continue fucking off. the line is over there, behind the guy that says Bukowski would hate me.

I couldn't listen to it to the end. I couldn't handle the screaming voice. I'll take Valerian any day instead! But what do I know? I'm an old fuck. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ok i was gonna heed the warning laid out before me, then you mention Bowie and the Bad Brains... So I took a listen....

Are you FUCKING Kidding me, do you even know what the Bad Brains and Bowie sound like, you sorry excuse for a poser. If you are going to make a reference at least make a good reference.
25 seconds is all I needed to know, well actually 4 seconds, but I was hoping I was wrong, that this was CRAP.

Sorry buddy ... don't quit your day job, assuming of course you have one.
And never ever do that again...:)

it's just sound man. but seriously i can do it a million different ways. you can paint with different brushes. that track took me like a few minutes. i just thought buk fans were COOL.

but here's a video for all you brilliant critics. jesus christ. here's me shredding guitar. whee!

i just thought buk fans were COOL.

That's YOUR mistake! We're not THAT cool.
Now, maybe if you tried singing in a more melodic way...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
As an old fuck who used to listen to a lot of Throbbing Gristle, Monte Cazazza and Factrix, I can honestly say that I am pretty tolerant of noise (and yes, I listened to Bad Brains and Bowie too... still do). But even to my senile old ears, this was just shit.

Knowing the poem that the lyrics were taken from, I have to say that you completely miss the tone of the thing... sort of like if The Archies were to do a cover of Masters of War. I guess it's okay that you used the poem though, since I can't make out a damned word that is being screeched.

<edit> Bukowski fans are not cool at all. Just a bunch of old fucks and old fucks-to-be. And hey, y'know what? HR and Bowie are old fucks too. </edit>

Look guys, I think that our problem is, that we (all) just don't understand genius when we hear it....I'm gonna turn up the hearing aid and give it another go.

EHHHHH???!!!!

CA02515.jpg

the singing is supposed to be screeching its hardcore brah

but here's a video for all you brilliant critics. jesus christ. here's me shredding guitar. whee!
I think you need to re-record that guitar wankery with more delay and reverb though, brah, I could still kind of hear the guitar. That won't do, brah! Brah, don't you wake up your mom and dad when you shred that awesome shred brah?

plus none of you can deny how cold the beat is...
The beat is cold (i.e. dead; void of life), you got at least one thing right. But then when your drummer is a computer, you would expect the beat to be cold, brah.

Methinks that his influences are buckethead, Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen, not The Bad Brains. Hardcore is one thing. Shitcore is quite another.

Bill

I was trying to figure out what cutting edge, brand new band you were trying to sound like. then it hit me: Royal Trux! and this brand new tight as fuck song from......2000. almost 10 years ago.

Everyone is right to ignore my questions about basing work on another artist's work.

It's WAY too close to the old "What is Art" clusterfuck of 2007. Let us move on....

I was trying to figure out what cutting edge, brand new band you were trying to sound like. then it hit me: Royal Trux! and this brand new tight as fuck song from......2000. almost 10 years ago.

This song sounds like something I heard in a Guy Ritchie movie. A chase scene song. Exciting.

Everyone is right to ignore my questions about basing work on another artist's work.

It's WAY too close to the old "What is Art" clusterfuck of 2007. Let us move on....

We have beat up at least 20 first time posters for trying to recreate Bukowski in their own miserable manner in the last couple of years. Be influenced by is okay but basing it on........yeah that sounds like What is Art.

I'm definitely an old fuck. I was listening to Bowie when you were in diapers. The screaming still sucks. It's plain bad. But welcome to the Forum anyway. No offense taken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back