Guitars, basses and other noisemakers (2 Viewers)

He's been using a Hohner for about 5 years and before that a cheap nylon string. He's into finger picking and alt/country, so for a 19th birthday, should be good. Not sold on that 91, but really appreciate the input.

G.E. Smith seems like a nice enough guy, but I'll never be able to get over his coked-up mugging and horrible "rock faces" on Saturday Night Live.

I know some people call that "the guitar that killed folk," but obviously it was Dylan's Stratocaster that did that. But the joke's on them, because folk refused to die.

The mind boggles at who could carve up a 1953 Telecaster the way that thing is carved up. But I guess if it's your guitar you can do whatever the hell you want to it.

It's April '63, if that makes a difference. As to the carved up body, I never liked single cutaways much, but I take your point on why it's a bit of a shame, but it's also a player's guitar, modified to be played in that "northwest corner." In any case, that axe sounds like no other Tele I've ever heard. Most of them are twangy and thin and that one spits sulphuric acid.

As for his coked-up mugging and horrible "rock faces" on Saturday Night Live, I always disliked G.E. Smith for that, but I've gotten over it because he really is a fine guitarist and a genuinely good dude by all accounts.

It's also worth mentioning (to me, at least), that Dylan used a Strat at Newport '65, but used a Tele on the '66 UK tour where the shit really hit the fan. What does that mean? Nothing. I like presenting worthless bits of info for the sake of being a contrarian.

Last edited:
It's April '63, if that makes a difference.
It does make a difference. I still don't think I'd carve up a '63, but I suppose it's less of a sin.

But now that I think of it, when I was a teenager I did carve up a '69 Strat, so maybe it's not so crazy. Though it was only 9 or 10 years old at the time.

Amazing!

You Done It.jpg

Guitars. My friend Bri works building guitars and fixing vintage equipment at his good friend Chris DiPinto's shop here in Philly in the neighborhood Fishtown. Now I guess this is just me promoting their work but the guitars, service and other equipment are really fucking cool and they do an amazing job. A few famous have his guitars too- Bowie did, Earl Slick does, Jack White, Rick Nielson, Conan O'B, Jimmy Vivino from Conan.... Oh and my friend makes mics out of old rotary phones. I guess calling rotary phones old is redundant. Anyhow, whadda ya think? http://www.dipintoguitars.com/

I almost bought a DiPinto Mach IV a couple of years ago, but decided to pass on it. There are already half a dozen guitars in the house, so adding to that seems a little insane.

Sometimes.

Other times it seems perfectly reasonable.

machivguitaryellow.jpg

The guitar itself [Peter Green's Les Paul] was insured recently at over a million dollars, but due to the shenanigans surrounding it, is hard pressed to garner any offers over $250,000. That guitar is in need of a new home and some karmic cleansing.
Just read that Kirk Hammett from Metallica bought it for two million dollars last year.

Just read that Kirk Hammett from Metallica bought it for two million dollars last year.
And now I just heard, in an interview with Bernie Marsden, that the headstock was broken off that "Peter Green" Les Paul during a car accident when Gary Moore owned it. That may be old news, but I'd never heard it.

Just FYI if you don't know (or care) about guitars, a headstock repair on a typical late 50s Junior, for instance, takes about 50+% off the value off the guitar, and on a newer guitar makes them just about worthless.

Thunderbird. The guitar was the Firebird.

Friend of mine played a Thunderbird for years in a hardcore punk band...I though the things were indestructible. Maybe the early ones had an engineering flaw. That happened at Gibson sometimes. They let their customers do product development and QA by breaking things.

And now I just heard, in an interview with Bernie Marsden, that the headstock was broken off that "Peter Green" Les Paul during a car accident when Gary Moore owned it. That may be old news, but I'd never heard it.Just FYI if you don't know (or care) about guitars, a headstock repair on a typical late 50s Junior, for instance, takes about 50+% off the value off the guitar, and on a newer guitar makes them just about worthless.

It was known, hasn't devalued it in any way, so it would seem. But you're paying for the magic and glamour of the thing, helps a lot if it still plays well though - post traumas:
Joe Bonamassa already the owner of a few late 50's Gibson Les Paul Standards, but he got to play "Greeny" at a concert in London, sounded fine, not a fan of the song but lovely to see it being played:

And now I just heard, in an interview with Bernie Marsden, that the headstock was broken off that "Peter Green" Les Paul during a car accident when Gary Moore owned it. That may be old news, but I'd never heard it.

Just FYI if you don't know (or care) about guitars, a headstock repair on a typical late 50s Junior, for instance, takes about 50+% off the value off the guitar, and on a newer guitar makes them just about worthless.
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...-LP-for-sale-at-Music-Ground&highlight=greeny
Early on in this thread I posted a link about the Peter Green burst from the Les Paul Forum, it is a very good read if the mods at LPF haven't deleted it yet. Joe B. who is a member there (JBLPlayer is his name) posts in the thread about the Greeny burst. He played it but didn't love it. Many of us at LPF had the chance to play it when Phil from Maverick guitars bought it off of Gary Moore in 2003 (which was another mess involving sellers remorse and other shenanigans). He would bring it to vintage guitar shows and let anybody play it.
Joe B. turned the guitar down at $250k and I know first-hand that Kirk paid in the low six-figure range.

It wasn't just the headstock that snapped, the entire neck was cracked through. Unfortunately, it looks like one of the subsequent owners in the UK replaced some of the original parts including the PAFs and pickup rings before it was sold to Kirk.

On a side note: a guy I know in N.Y. who has become semi-famous for selling Sunburst 50's Les Pauls is in close contact with Kirk Hammett and James Hettfield as a Burst procurer and has sold them other Bursts in the past, I was at the NY guy's house one day about five years ago and he showed me an exceptional '59 Burst flame top with Bigsby, it was $350k at the time and Kirk had turned it down because his wife wouldn't let him spend that much on a guitar.

I know first-hand that Kirk paid in the low six-figure range.
Goes to show that you can't believe anything you read.

Wait, then I can't believe you...

;)

I do believe you though. I thought 2 million for that guitar was insane, and while I realize that Kirk Hammett may well be insane, that would be a bit much even for him.
It wasn't just the headstock that snapped, the entire neck was cracked through [...] one of the subsequent owners in the UK replaced some of the original parts including the PAFs and pickup rings...
That makes even "low six figures" a little insane...

This is an actual '59 Sunburst that was hacked into a lefty. The photo of GE Smith with the butchered Tele reminded me of it. They call this guitar "Bad Coconuts." I also have somewhere a photo of a 50s PAF gold top that was hacked into a banjo and a Jr. hacked into a mandolin.

bad coconuts.jpg

lpjr.jpg

Those last two are especially painful, since the Junior and Special are my weapons of choice.

I like that the "flying-clusterfuck" is hanging on a guitar shop wall though. Like someone is going to walk in and say, "Oh, jesus, there it is...the guitar of my dreams!" Wonder what the price tag was on that.

Those last two are especially painful, since the Junior and Special are my weapons of choice.
I knew that would make you cringe.

Like someone is going to walk in and say, "Oh, jesus, there it is...the guitar of my dreams!"

Butchered 3.png

"Someone" like Joe Bonamassa.

No, that's not me in the photo with him. Nothing against tie-dye. He posted this photo on LPF, he probably found the guitar while out searching for bursts to buy.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...-LP-for-sale-at-Music-Ground&highlight=greeny
Early on in this thread I posted a link about the Peter Green burst from the Les Paul Forum, it is a very good read if the mods at LPF haven't deleted it yet. Joe B. who is a member there (JBLPlayer is his name) posts in the thread about the Greeny burst. He played it but didn't love it. Many of us at LPF had the chance to play it when Phil from Maverick guitars bought it off of Gary Moore in 2003 ]
[...It wasn't just the headstock that snapped, the entire neck was cracked through. Unfortunately, it looks like one of the subsequent owners in the UK replaced some of the original parts including the PAFs and pickup rings before it was sold to Kirk..

It didn't read like Bonamassa didn't like it in your link Otto, reading his post there, nor in this one below, (page 8) but perhaps he was being diplomatic and you heard from a more direct source. (But then Peter Green, wasn't hugely in love with it either).http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vin...lays-peter-green-gary-moore-1959-burst-8.html

In the article about the 2 million dollars, Hammett does say he went in with a lower offer because he knew it would be accepted, doesn't say how much though, so you're comments interesting.The second video in the article and I've seen that video before ( I didn't know who Phil Harris was and had to look him up} it does give you a very clear look at the damage, especially at the back.

Read some of the possible dodgy dealings regarding the guitar, during that period so I'm glad that Kirk has it, he loves it and at least it's getting played, a lot of snooty comments about the fact it's in the hands of a metalhead, which is just dumb, who knows? maybe he sits on his days off playing nothing but 12-bar blues:)... If he gets to.

hey guitar guys -

could you do me a huge favour and give me an idea what these are worth?

i inherited them from someone and want to sell them. from left to right -

Sigma
Hagstrom
Hagstrom II
Fender Pre. (made in Mexico)
Fender Tele Squier

thanks alot. sorry if the pic is too big.

guitars2.jpg

Some of those won't change much in value based on age - for example, that Fender Mexico P-Bass goes used for about $300 retail. ebay would be $250-$350. Judging from the sticker and the wine red finish, it's likely less than 10 years old; it's a desirable finish. New these are more like $500. Best bet is to go on ebay and follow similar listings and see what sells for what. There are so many variables on some of these. For example, the black solid body Hagstrom can vary depending on whether all those switches are fully functional and whether it's from the 60s (looks more like 80s to me on first glance). Try the hagstrom website and try to determine year of construction via serial number. These would be helpful in all cases.

The Tele looked promising at first, but since it's a Squier, it's likely a good player but won't command big money. I can't tell of it's reliced or was just played inside an active volcano for the past 20 years. If that's permanent smoke damage it will hurt the value. Dunno; maybe $250? I can't speak to the Hagstrom hollow body or the Sigma.

I'd agree the Fenders aren't going to bring much, assuming they're playable, and it's impossible to gauge playability from a picture. But I wouldn't count out that tele, depending on its age and condition of the neck/frets. Some of those older Squiers are good instruments (some of them).

The Hagstroms are interesting. I think that Strat-y one is from the 60s, but it's been extensively modified, so it's kind of lost any value it might have had as a collector's item (and I don't know how much value that was anyway, maybe not much). It's supposed to look like the pic below. The hollow body Hagstrom doesn't look modern either, but I don't really know much about those things.

Selling guitars online is tough. You might consider seeing if a local guitar shop wants to take them off your hands. You won't get what you'd get selling them yourself, but listing those and answering a million questions about them and shipping them is going to be painful.

Untitled-1.jpg

thanks you guys i appreciate it alot.

yeah the online selling would be a bitch. i was thinking local music stores or kijiji. music stores will lowball but it's quick and easy.

thanks again.

Last edited:
You might remember this from earlier in the thread:

2014-06-19-Vixen-001.jpg

Well, I can take the bad marker drawings no longer!

I stripped it down, scuffed it up, wiped it down and taped it off, and I'm shooting the sucker with a can of "coral" nitrocellulose guitar paint.

vixen1.jpg

In my custom spray booth...

vixen2.jpg

Now I'm not real handy with a spray can, so I guess we'll see what happens.

The first coat is on, and 2 or 3 should cover the offending drawings. The "coral" color is a little more orange than pink though, so it's going to look different. No way to match the Gibson pink without getting a custom match by a pro refinisher, and the guitar isn't valuable enough to spend that kind of money on it.

And I'm not painting the neck, so it's going to be kind of two-tone.

Whatever happens, it'll be interesting. And one of a kind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back