Ham on Rye Help? (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone,

I'm new! Both to the forum and to Bukowski. I just read Ham on Rye and fell in love. So in love that I am going to present the book to my English class tonight but I've run across a problem. I have an intense fear of public speaking and due to this I'm having trouble figuring out the right way to present this. I basically have to "sell" the book to my class mates, meaning if they haven't read the book, they'll run out and buy it and if they've read it, they'll want to read it again. Any advice on a fun, interesting way to present would be truly appreciated!

Thank you!

Mr. Bukowski use to puke a lot at public readings for what may have been the same reason.
Welcome to the forum. What grade are you in? Can you drink wine before you speak? That has been working at weddings for centuries. If you can't do that just get it into your heart that Bukowski is one of the most passionate writers ever. Let them know that once they start reading him they may keep going for a while cause he gets you that way. And of course it helps if you know in your heart that you matter and they will accept you. If that doesn't work try getting a prescription for paxel, but you will do just fine. ;)

Hahaha! Yeah, this is a college course so I could indeed get a little buzzed before presenting but that might lead to slurring and the like. I'm basically just at a loss as to how one should "sell" a book. I could list all the reasons why I liked it but that wouldn't nessicarly apply to everyone. ugh! I hate that we have to do this!

you could sell it based on the fact that no one has ever read a book by an author so brutally honest about himself and the world he lives in. someone who doesn't dress up reality, but lays it all out there for anyone to see.

Read a passage which has importance for you.
Read it naked, and drunk.

Or just read the passage.
You can hide because you will
be reading, and not paying attention
to who is looking at you, or not looking at you.

But reading naked and drunk would be fun,
you have to admit...

2406381882_80473c41cf_o.gif

But reading naked and drunk would be fun,
you have to admit...

... plus it would make you lots of new, unexpected friends.

no honestly, you'll do fine.
being a fan of a book/author is the best precondition to catch your audience.
once you started, they will have to fight to stop you ...

He seemed to enjoy it.

As long as we are on the subject of drunk, naked
performers... does anyone remember Extreme Elvis?

Father Luke I am sorry I asked. LOL! That's just wrong.
I can't play with you anymore.

"Be careful what you ask for you just might get it."

Really!

The picture with the dwarf was from a wedding I officiated at.

Imagine the jumpsuit-wearing Elvis of 1976, perverted by
celebrity and riddled with drug addition. Add an intelligent
punk sensibility and a ragingly overactive Id, so much so
that he's obese, often naked, filthy, pissing on stage and
rubbing up against audience members.

His name is eXtreme Elvis.

- from a press release -

2462820624_ebd681715a_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the guy and gal behind Extreme Elvis looking around like everything is perfectly normal. "ho hum, bleeding naked fat guy. I hope he does Mystery Train....."

What hell hath Iggy wrought? I thought GG Allin was the most uninspired child of Mr. Osterberg, but this guy may be. Now that GG is in the ground, anyway.

Actually EE - Extreme Elvis - as a phenomena is no
longer active. Matt - Extreme Elvis - has lost the
weight, and has moved onto other ventures which
interest him. Matt is a brilliant guy, and I admire
him. We had a chance to hang out together in
Death Valley.

It was a keen idea, really, Extreme Elvis.

Matt was fascinated by Elvis as a phenomena. He
just decided to make this thing, Extreme Elvis, as
an extension of where Elvis seemed to be heading
in his life... with the sycophants, recklessness, and
what have you... the obesity, the vulgarity which
Elvis was engaging in, and...

-- *Ta Da !* --

Extreme Elvis was born.

Extreme Elvis was quite a phenomena for several
years in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Matt has moved onto other interests. But Extreme Elvis
was a brilliant, and well conceived idea.

2463935054_026f4e4ed9.jpg

So... to bring this back home again, I suppose just
reading Bukowski would have an impact on your
classmates. And if not? So wut? It would be
important to you, and that's as important as
anything else I can think of.

Good luck with your assignment.
sign0077.gif

Boy, I don't know if it qualifies as brilliant. But you know and respect the guy, so what can I say. It's just all a little pomo for me. ;)

Elvis was a hero to most, but he never meant shit to me.

As the kids say.

full disclosure, this is the first lp I bought with my own money.
at a Sobey's grocery store at West End Mall, Halifax. 1974, the year I turned 6.

Hooch; nice presentation. There is your Elvis Album with your signature right below.

bukowski wouldn't stoop to this...http://www.stephenhines.net/

Like it was meant to be that way. I got into Elvis by osmosis. My crazy first wife and then a good friend who collects Elvis. He needs to see Extreme Elvis in the worst way.

Go for it. Read the stuff you think it will have the heaviest impact. And play classical music, the things Buk loved the most.

Hello everyone,

I'm new! Both to the forum and to Bukowski. I just read Ham on Rye and fell in love. So in love that I am going to present the book to my English class tonight but I've run across a problem. I have an intense fear of public speaking and due to this I'm having trouble figuring out the right way to present this. I basically have to "sell" the book to my class mates, meaning if they haven't read the book, they'll run out and buy it and if they've read it, they'll want to read it again. Any advice on a fun, interesting way to present would be truly appreciated!

Thank you!
Hi Stacy,

A few passing suggestions. If it were me (and I know it's not) ... rather than trying to "sell" the book, share how the book impacted ... changed ... influenced you -- the act of self-discovery through sharing some of your favorite passages from Ham. The strict intellectual approach is dry, and to me Bukowski is anything but dry. There's something that impresses the reader deeply beyond the words themselves, and that's why Bukowski is read now and will very likely be read for decades to come.

You might also consider doing something of a broad 'theme' analysis, without getting bogged down in too much intellectual detail ... go into what appears most important to Bukowski. Go with the emotions Bukowski evokes and perhaps you'd be less self-conscious discussing a writer you happen to love or at least deeply appreciate anyway. You might actually enjoy the act of sharing in the moment and turn on a few new readers.

For me he's been an incredibly satisfying writer. He heightens life through his broad acceptance of life... and that's like walking through an open door... because he takes one beyond the usual and perhaps narrow definition of what good writing is. He's beyond any category other than the entire range of human experience. Plus, there's a sense of presence in every word. Good luck. Share what happens with the Buk lovers here.

Poptop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back