Haven't read David Foster Wallace and probably won't (1 Viewer)

Haven't read David Foster Wallace and probably won't, because I'm not the kind of reader for complex 1,000-page-books. But I've just heard about him from a friend, who actually made it through 'Infinite Jest' and he was full of praise, saying he reminded him of Pynchon (who is one of his favorite authors).

So I looked him up and he seems to be (have been of course) a crazy guy - in the good sense of the word.

Anybody here read him?

I know it doesn't make any logical sense to reject and ignore someone's work just because they have a writing MFA and are a writing professor (as is was Mr. Wallace), but I do it anyway. I consider it one of my many charms.

He's a college writer, good for 19-year-old boys.

If you know what I mean.

For what it's worth, I couldn't wholly recommend IJ. It felt like a drawn-out exercise on literary convention. Enjoyed his collections of essays/articles though. Definitely an important writer for me, although I could understand how that feeling isn't universally mutual.
He's a college writer, good for 19-year-old boys.

If you know what I mean.
Kind of want to go into a slugging match about that point but I'm sure you're far more capable of out-writing & out-whiting me.

I think that college commencment speech was called THIS IS WATER...and it was pretty damn good.

The books are WAY TO THICK for my tastes. I tend to draw the thick language line at Henry Miller or, occasionally Joyce or Faulkner...but usually I take it back to Miller after that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back