How often do you drink? (2 Viewers)

Honestly, not inspired by Bukowski, I have started to drink almost every day of the week.....and certainly all weekend....I need to cut down Alcoholism is rampant in Glasgow and in my family....even though many of them overcame their addiction...

Water! I'll have a glass of water, please.

place holder said:
I used to do it 4-5 times a week

i used to NOT drink 4-5 times a month, but now it's 1-2 times a month.
i live alone now without my son, without women and it's a fantastic feeling.
i can concentrate much better, i have no need for "run-aways" and i'm giving
all my time to my work

i actually quit drinking rivers after i started to read Buk

it's not about drinking for me anymore, but rather about creating.
it's a good feeling....for now anyway

cheers!

I only drink when President Bush violates the Constitution, short-circuits the judicial process, and infringes upon civil liberties at home and abroad.

Which means I will soon be too wasted to notice WW III.

Kind of a blessing, really......

Lady: sir, you are drunk!
Winston Churchill: yes madame, but in the morning I shall be sober but you shall still be ugly!

reminds me of an encounter I had on Saturday :rolleyes:

I drink quite a bit. I like to drink alone, no one is around to see what an ass I am when I'm drunk. And I am an ass when I'm drunk. Donkeys are very jealous of me.
Tonight I'm alone...wife is at work for a 12 hour overnight shift. I'm drinking, but not drunk.
I don't really notice hangovers anymore. Well, I notice them, but they aren't severe. I feel tired, and not all that hungry in the morning, but not really that bad. And I get up fairly early, between 6 and 7. It's probably a bad sign when you can drink 3 bottles of wine and some beer and not be a wreck (I'm pretty small....5'9", 160 pounds) the next morning.
I generally stay away from the hard stuff, though tonight I'm drinking Stoli from the freezer.
Well, I'm not really alone...my dog Joe is still awake, and my 2 cats Henry Chinaski and Roy Hobbs. The goldfish died awhile ago.
Well, I better go, I'm getting self indulgent (even for me).

It's probably a bad sign when you can drink 3 bottles of wine and some beer and not be a wreck (I'm pretty small....5'9", 160 pounds) the next morning.

sorry, slight drunken exaggeration there. more like 2 bottles of wine and some beer. not 3.
and I'm more like 5'8".

I drink dry ginger ale cut with apple lucozade. I don't drink alcohol or gasoline or bleach or urine. I smoke pot.

I tried booze many times as a teenager---all types, and it all tasted like some sort of poison. Budweiser is moldy bread soaked in horse piss. The absolute worst. I lose large chunks of respect for anyone who drinks it. Same deal with Coors. And then there's Jack Daniels: Rot gut turpentine. And then there's this one and that one and they're all liquid shite.

Ah but the sweetleaf...3 hits and you're toast and you're groovin with the music ---and there's no nausea, puking, or hangovers.

I used to drink a whole lot more than i do now. i actually havent had a drink in about a month. i try to drink once or twice a week though. it's healthier than doctors actually lead you to believe, in moderation of course.

I drink dry ginger ale cut with apple lucozade. I don't drink alcohol or gasoline or bleach or urine. I smoke pot.

I tried booze many times as a teenager---all types, and it all tasted like some sort of poison. Budweiser is moldy bread soaked in horse piss. The absolute worst. I lose large chunks of respect for anyone who drinks it. Same deal with Coors. And then there's Jack Daniels: Rot gut turpentine. And then there's this one and that one and they're all liquid shite.

Ah but the sweetleaf...3 hits and you're toast and you're groovin with the music ---and there's no nausea, puking, or hangovers.

I like weed, but the past couple of years I've had a rapid heartbeat and panic attacks while on it, so i gave it up.
Americans are for the most part fine people, but they make lousy beer. at least the big breweries.

yo bro schenk
you're welcome
in the pothead thread
any time

:cool:

I like weed, but the past couple of years I've had a rapid heartbeat and panic attacks while on it, so i gave it up.

that seems to be the case for a lot of people. i, myself, being one of them. I'm glad I don't smoke weed anymore. I'm already too mellow as it is.

coffee>weed

I like weed, but the past couple of years I've had a rapid heartbeat and panic attacks while on it, so i gave it up...

Giving up is cool. Whatever floats your boat.

I quit from 1986-1988 because of panic attacks. I realized after I quit that it had all been a matter of "set & setting". I had been toking at inappropriate times (before & during workhell; before & during encounters with new people; before or while in a car with a stoned driver; before standing in line in some public place). All these situations required me to "maintain" or pretend I wasn't high and that's when the trouble would begin.

When I started toking again it was on the condition that I only toked at home at the end of the day when I didn't have to be anywhere or meet anyone. I have stuck to that condition ever since (except when I'm in Amsterdam).

I never did enjoy driving while stoned so it was no problem to give that up.

The pot & panic attacks thing can happen to anyone but I think it mostly happens to people who are introverted and self-conscious (sensitive and vain).

And, sometimes, even if you're home alone, feeling safe, you can smoke too much in a short space of time and trigger a panic attack. But since it's at home, it's not a humiliating experience and you can lay down until the headrush passes (usually in about 2 minutes).

The thing is, some pot is so delicious that you gorge yourself, you keep toking because you like the taste...and the next thing you know, you've smoked too much.

Set & setting. Moderation. Ignore these and you're gonna have some sort of trouble no matter what your drug of choice is.

If you smoke too much, eat some candy or sugar and drink some water or cola or whatever. And maybe some fresh air. It usually helps...

Alcohol, that is.
I used to do it 4-5 times a week. Now, I practice moderation, maybe once or twice a week, if even that.

I used to drink everyday: Vodka cranberrys and PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon). Then I quit for a little over 20 months. I quit everything. I got hooked on H and was able to get into treatment. Then I first started smoking pot about 2 months ago and now I've been drinking...Heineken. But I have only drank twice this month. And tonight is one of those nights.

Ah....too personal?

but I think it mostly happens to people who are introverted and self-conscious (sensitive and vain).

Have you been talking to my wife?

I should say I haven't totally given it up, but I rarely have more than a couple of puffs, every couple of months. and yes, it usually is in a setting where I'm comfortable.
the panic attacks were something I was prone to even when not high, so I think the weed just speeded the process and made them more likely to happen.

I probably imbibe more than i should,but is it not a shame to leave it in the barrell?Anyhow tonight there is one big bastard important match on,and i intend to do a good impersonation of Oliver Reed whilst watching the game.Up the mancs.

that seems to be the case for a lot of people. i, myself, being one of them. I'm glad I don't smoke weed anymore. I'm already too mellow as it is.

coffee>weed

I get panic attacks because of lack of weed. As for the drinking, if you ask the wife, far too much, me, I'll say occaisionally too much. The body, he gives a split decision.

Too much booze, not enough of the good stuff...life in America:mad:

Once or twice a week, I'll have a beer or two . Once or twice a month, I'll tie one on while watching a ball game with a buddy. Maybe have a shot or something. Once or twice a year, I'll go on a week long bender with my brother on a snowboarding or surfing trip. No holds barred.

The thread about Bukowski's habits got me thinking.

That some people found 7 days a week out of the question was surprising. I've drank every day for a good 10 years now, steadily creeping up from 3-4 to more like 6-7 a day. I don't get drunk or do things I otherwise wouldn't, I'm rarely hungover, and I don't think it interferes with my work or social life. I do, however, worry about future health risks. Outside of the booze though I live pretty healthy, diet & exercise.

And you?

If there was a line graph available to summarise my drinking frequency since my early teenage years then in the last 18 months the line would be in free fall.

I'm guessing you're fairly young but I've read that at the 40 a week mark or above you're at risk for cirhossis. It doesn't mean you'll get it, just at risk so if you're drinking about 7 for 7 you might want to skip a day or two. But everybodys body is different, just look at Charles, so good luck and cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back