I can't read German. Can you? (1 Viewer)

A shallow review on the German translation of On Writing and on Bukowki's writing in general.
True enough.
Still I've seen much worse articles on Bukowski in German language.
Which makes me take the chance to turn this thread into a general: "WTF-stupid-German-articles-about Bukowski"-thread.

For example, just last week, there came up one piece, that begins with the insightful words:

"Actually, he's only writing about sex. And about drinking. Okay, he's been a hot number, stumbling drunk through talkshows [sic!] or demanding to have a fully packed refridgerator on stage for his readings. But by now, a lot of what made his world has gone out-of-fashion: horse-racing, beer in cans and playing the tough guy."

"Eigentlich geht es bei ihm immer nur um Sex. Und ums Saufen. Okay, er war schon eine tolle Nummer, wie er besoffen durch Talkshows torkelte oder sich bei Lesungen einen gut gefüllten Kühlschrank auf die Bühne stellen ließ. Doch mittlerweile ist viel von dem, was für seine Welt stand, aus der Mode gekommen: Pferderennen, Dosenbier und den harten Knochen geben."

- HERE it is in full length:
http://www.swp.de/ulm/nachrichten/kultur/bukowski-ist-wieder-da_-_hank_-24467266.html

[ - more to come - ]

Last edited:
it's dumbfounding to me how often that impression is made of his work.

"Eigentlich geht es bei ihm immer nur um Sex. Und ums Saufen. Okay, er war schon eine tolle Nummer, wie er besoffen durch Talkshows torkelte oder sich bei Lesungen einen gut gefüllten Kühlschrank auf die Bühne stellen ließ. Doch mittlerweile ist viel von dem, was für seine Welt stand, aus der Mode gekommen: Pferderennen, Dosenbier und den harten Knochen geben."
The beginning is prejudiced and ridiculous, you're right, but the major part of the review (on The Bell Tolls For No One) is surprisingly good, almost as if it has been written by someone else. By someone who did actually understand one or two things and who appreciates Bukowski's writing.

By the way, both books, the German translations of On Writing and The Bell Tolls For No One, are available in my local bookstore. They are on a shelf labeled "classics".

both books, the German translations of On Writing and The Bell Tolls For No One, are available in my local bookstore
Lucky coincidence:
I am folding my bukowski-shop in a few weeks.
Will mail out a newsletter to former customers to call for "last orders", then shut the fucker down.
If you're interested in buying some of my stock, let me know.

It's not the place to discuss this shit on a mainly English speaking forum but for the record the cringe is still strong whenever I read (certain) German translations of Bukowskis work. Like in the first article PhillyDave posted:

"Faulkner, so verlogen wie geöltes Wachspapier. Hemingway kam zumindest zeitweise ran, orgelte dann aber nur noch dieselbe verpupste Melodie aus seinem großen Leierkasten. Celine schrieb ein unsterbliches Buch, über das ich Tag und Nacht gelacht habe, dann entwickelte er sich mehr und mehr zur bloßen Meckertante."

"Verpupste Melodie" and "Meckertante"??? ... like what the fuck, was this translated for kindergarten children?

Here's another German post on fb auto translate. Buk in space.

Screenshot_20181221-110106.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back