i hate being unemployed (1 Viewer)

I am sure that you could be a great dog walker for some rich folks. Maybe they'll appreciate that. Or you can also take them for car rides with their head sticking out the windows.

Black Swan may be on to something there. Dog-sitting/dog-walking can make for nice side-money with little effort (aside from the effort dog-lovers have in abundance anyway).

Just a thought...

Good luck to you all in your job searches !

I hope you'll get the place for which you've applied, Mr. Love !

I've finished my studies, am currently a trainee in a cool place and the internship will end in october. Until then, I have to find a job, my first real job. But I'm not very motivated, I had another project and it just turned out not to be feasible anymore :/ I was thinking to join for a few months my (former) bestfriend who has also finished her studies and is now living in London with her english man in a big house (the guy is older and rich). It would have been so exciting, I would have done any job, no matter, no rent to pay, it would have allowed me to practice my english and to have a break ! Unfortunately, we had an argument and we haven't had any contact for a month and a half, I think all is over. That really was the last thing I expected, I even had planned to come to see her there a first time in august, I could have taken a week. Curiously, I don't miss her, I'm just annoyed by the fact that all my projects are upside down and that I have to look for a job in France earlier than what I've planned .

Liquor Store, you lead a very precarious existence. Don't you think that you should come back to earth for a while ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ambreen, if you want to practice your English just take up mjp on his very generous offer to take you in. You could come out here and meet some of us.
I start working in a few days but getting paid is another story.

Thanks but I'm not interested in mowing Mr. Smiley's lawn and being given a little bit of ice-cream if the work is ok.

I prefer to practice my English in London than in L.A. 'cause I don't want to speak it like a West Coast gangsta rapper.

Anyway, I'm fed up with the States. My youngest sister has just come back home after having spent five weeks in a campus near Boston, the brother will have to go to California for work in september and the other sister is soon going to join a NGO located in New-York for six months. USA USA USA, I've only heard that during the whole summer, how alienating ! Is there seriously anything to see/do there, except meditating in front of Hank's gravestone ?

Verdict of the little sister : You eat definitely too much. But you have great roller coasters.

The best I can do is to find a new best friend, a British Best Friend. Like Paris Hilton did before me.

And congratulations for getting the job !

I need a job too, although I have no time to look for an employer because I am busy painting. Again, is this the eternal staement that art has no value unless you are busy with the art market?

The Unemployment people did not like the way I filled out my form so they cut it off without really saying that. It has been fixed- the bastards.

I need a job too, although I have no time to look for an employer because I am busy painting. Again, is this the eternal staement that art has no value unless you are busy with the art market?

I'd say it's the statement that art has no price until it's on the market; the individual value a piece of art has for someone can't really be counted in $$, Euros..., right? I find things on the rag-fair for 50 cents that mean something to me...

I prefer to practice my English in London than in L.A. 'cause I don't want to speak it like a West Coast gangsta rapper.
25% of Londoners talk well grimey, very brrrap braap and ting which is probably worse than speaking like a gangsta rapper.

25% are cockneys that have a horrible way of rabbitting

25% speak no English whatsoever

25% are out of towners, you really don't want to learn English from a scouser or a Geordie, or God forbid someone from Norfolk

Ideally you need to go to one of the Posh bits of the country somewhere in Hertfordshire, or maybe a University City like Oxford or Cambridge.

Ideally you need to go to one of the Posh bits of the country somewhere in Hertfordshire, or maybe a University City like Oxford or Cambridge.
Or just watch American movies from the 40's and 50's, when apparently everyone here spoke with an uppercrust British accent. ;)

Funny, men usually don't like speaking on phone for a long time. And when you try to insist, they reply they're not girls.

I can phone freely in the States, so let's start, Mr. Chatterbox !

I want to meet other kind of people than scholars and students !

I have an uncle and an aunt living near London, I didn't want to stay in their home because I already did that in my teen years and they turned out to be boring and having quite superficial daughters whom I'd be accused to corrupt if ever I asked them to bring me in some of the londoner places I want to see. But now that my first plan fell through, I'm considering things differently...

I'd go to my u. and a. near London if I were you. I mean, that's already a place to stay and if they're not too unbearable, you should be able to push their boredom aside. How many friends of yours have the opportunity of a free place to stay near London? Not many, I guess.
If you want to go out, don't depend on anyone taking you there, just do it on your own.
Busses, trains and the adventure of the London underground traffic.
Don't try.

I've seen a mountain of what I'd say are retirement age men being sent to us as short term contractors on jobs we do. It's often hard and heavy work and a lot of these guys simply can't do it anymore. At a time when they should be winding down their work lives they've found themselves on the job market and are forced to work like dogs. Ain't it just great :(

Yes, that's unfortunately becoming a common phenomenon.
Personally I'm not worrying about returning to work when retired, I'm just wondering how many decades I'll have to work to have a retirement pension. I often joke about that with friends, we imagine ourselves dying before enjoying a possible retirement.

Unemployed for 7 months now and short a couple thousand on my child support. I just can't find anything that's paying better than what I'm making from unemployment. Father wants me out, threw out most of my shit and my almost 18 month old son's shit, bottles, blankets, pack and play.. I'm considering The National Guard.

Why shouldn't I joint the national guard? I don't want to go to war. I'd hate to have to live halfway across the country and be that far away from my son. Although if it weren't for my son I would love to do the Navy, figuring chances of fighting are slim to none and I would have the benefit of seeing the world. But I smoke too many cigarettes and doing the water thing would be murder on my lungs. I also doubt I'd pass the psychological tests, if I were to be honest.

Oh really? I always figured the National Guard did nothing but fight forest fires and hurricanes. Look at the Marines, nothing but a bunch of nuts, well after training at least. Thanks Gerard, I still have to look into this, maybe talk to a few recruiters and see what they have up their sleeves.

I'm considering The National Guard. [...] I would love to do the Navy [...] maybe talk to a few recruiters...
Seriously? For a paycheck you would go get your nuts blown off in Afghanistan? Do you really believe so much in what America is doing over there that you will voluntarily sign up to go die for it?

Don't go fight for those idiotic pricks that started all this. They don't give a shit about you, and you could make just as much money working at a gas station and keep your nuts as a bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back